2017 Green Bay Packers thread. Do we have a defense? Hell no

Possibly.

But what's interesting is Randall's natural position appears to be at safety. Now we are loaded with talent at safety, so I doubt he'd be moved there. But it makes you wonder if this whole thing was doomed from the start with him switching over to CB.

Wouldn't be surprised if Zimmer or someone else poaches him and he becomes some pro bowl safety on anther team.

This.

Randall and Rollins are both free safeties who lack the physical traits to be corners. And both could be really great at the safety position because of their instincts and tackling.

But I hope I'm wrong, as I really like Rollins.

Sucks seeing cook blow the top off of defenses speed

I will never understand the front office/coaching staff's refusal to address the lack of speed at the receiver position, especially since the past two playoffs have affirmed how important it is (Janis in 2015, Cook in 2016). Even rotating in Janis just to stretch the defense on decoy routes would seem to have utility. Right now, defenses can still press the receivers and make Adams/Cobb completely useless.

This.

Randall and Rollins are both free safeties who lack the physical traits to be corners. And both could be really great at the safety position because of their instincts and tackling.

But I hope I'm wrong, as I really like Rollins.

I will never understand the front office/coaching staff's refusal to address the lack of speed at the receiver position, especially since the past two playoffs have affirmed how important it is (Janis in 2015, Cook in 2016). Even rotating in Janis just to stretch the defense on decoy routes would seem to have utility. Right now, defenses can still press the receivers and make Adams/Cobb completely useless.

I've been a long time advocate of having a speed receiver run a deep route every play just to make the defense cover him if nothing else. It takes one defensive player downfield in man coverage to open more room underneath. It stretches zone coverage leaving holes.

I'm calling it now, GB will draft a receiver within the first two rounds in next years draft.

Jordy will most likely finish his transition to the slot by seasons end, which will leave the team again with no consistent deep threat. Unless Trevor Davis comes on strong this season, WR will have to be addressed next off season.

Dream scenario - Odell runs himself out of NY and because of the bad blood; the team declines on picking up his option year. Ted realizing he has an overabundance of draft picks does Rodgers and his own legacy a solid and gives up some draft picks for OBJ.

Not happening, but sometimes it's nice to dream.

I miss this guy sometimes.

KKKUUUHHHNNNN!!!!!!!

I'm calling it now, GB will draft a receiver within the first two rounds in next years draft.

Jordy will most likely finish his transition to the slot by seasons end, which will leave the team again with no consistent deep threat. Unless Trevor Davis comes on strong this season, WR will have to be addressed next off season.

Dream scenario - Odell runs himself out of NY and because of the bad blood; the team declines on picking up his option year. Ted realizing he has an overabundance of draft picks does Rodgers and his own legacy a solid and gives up some draft picks for OBJ.

Isn't Janis a bit of a burner? I mean he burned guys in that AZ game to get open for the Hail Mary.

Isn't Janis a bit of a burner? I mean he burned guys in that AZ game to get open for the Hail Mary.

Janis has all the measurables to be a number one receiver, but he still makes boneheaded mistakes. So he isn't going to get many snaps because Mac and Rodgers obviously don't believe in him.

Tight bags snabbing a first day FA?
lol I have a better chance of walking on the moon,unfortunately

Plus jordy said two more years at most

Tight bags snabbing a first day FA?
lol I have a better chance of walking on the moon,unfortunately

Plus jordy said two more years at most

I know, I know. It would just be nice for Rodgers to play with a bonafide #1 WR while he is still in his prime.

As for Jordy, those two years will probably be mostly in the slot.

Davante is a free agent at the end of the year too, correct?

How about Lane Taylor stepping up? Dude's been great for a bit now

The question of the season, will Bulaga and DB ever be healthy enough to go?

Janis has all the measurables to be a number one receiver, but he still makes boneheaded mistakes. So he isn't going to get many snaps because Mac and Rodgers obviously don't believe in him.
This annoys me the more I think about it. Feel like them not using him doesn't give him a shot to learn from mistakes but his mistakes are a liability to winning too so it's this annoying Catch 22 situation.

Dude has 4.42 40 yard speed for crying out loud.

This annoys me the more I think about it. Feel like them not using him doesn't give him a shot to learn from mistakes but his mistakes are a liability to winning too so it's this annoying Catch 22 situation.

Dude has 4.42 40 yard speed for crying out loud.

Bring him in just to stretch the defense as we discussed previously. He can at least make a defender run with him and tire him out. They also have Davis with 4.42 speed.

Bring him in just to stretch the defense as we discussed previously. He can at least make a defender run with him and tire him out. They also have Davis with 4.42 speed.
Davis seems like he hasn't done shit this year. Nothing but fair catches (and a real dunderhead one on like the 4 too).

Not sure if he will ever develop into a quality 3rd receiver, but I still think Davis will make some noise with punt returns before the seasons end.

Not sure if he will ever develop into a quality 3rd receiver, but I still think Davis will make some noise with punt returns before the seasons end.

Difficult to get a good return when nobody blocks or when they do, it's in the back.

How about Lane Taylor stepping up? Dude's been great for a bit now

Just read an article about him, dude never played tackle in his life before the last game

Perhaps the most impressive performance was turned in by Taylor, who remembered — vaguely — having played tackle one other time in his football life. He thought it might’ve been in the spring of his sophomore year at Oklahoma State, when he lined up for one play during the intrasquad scrimmage. On that play, the quarterback ran a roll-out and threw an interception, so Taylor never got to do even a traditional pass set on the play.

Otherwise, Taylor had never been anything but a guard — in high school in Arlington, Texas; for 50 starts at Oklahoma State in college; and for 1,508 snaps in the NFL before Thursday night.

In the Packers’ 35-14 win over the Bears, though, he played 55 snaps there. While McCarthy and Rodgers certainly helped by drawing up and executing a get-the-ball-out-quickly game plan, Taylor was a godsend.

“You look at Lane Taylor,” McCarthy said. “I mean, he had a jog-through on Tuesday and one move-the-ball drill on Wednesday to get ready to play left tackle.

“Those guys didn’t even blink. I mean, there were never any questions. Lane just stepped out there, he took the practice reps and I thought those guys did a heck of a job. They kept us in a very flexible game plan. (In my) experience, there’s times you have to play close to the vest and you can’t take advantage of your perimeter players, particularly Aaron and our perimeter players. But that wasn’t the case.”

Taylor learned of his assignment when he reported to work Tuesday morning. Although neither Tuesday or Wednesday’s practice was in pads, he asked outside linebackers Clay Matthews and Chris Odom to get after him as hard as they could. They obliged, and Taylor spent the rest of his free time on his iPad, breaking down play after play after play of Bakhtiari and Bulaga at work. He also sought their input in several conversations throughout the week.

“I just drowned myself in tackle knowledge and watching film. I was still even watching the guard on film on accident when I was studying,” said Taylor, who signed a three-year, $16 million contract extension on Sept. 4. “When they told me I was going to play tackle, I bought all-in like I’ve done it for years. I put the same effort in that I do as a guard as a tackle, doing everything I could do to learn — getting tips from Bryan, from David. They were a big help in understanding the tackle position. I watched lots of film on them. I knew the guys I was going against. I tried to put myself in a good position.”

Idc if the Bears suck that's seriously impressive. Linsley has been pretty good as well. We'll be fine when the tackles come back, but they need to come back asap. Cowboys/Vikings are 2 pivotal games and not having to worry about Rodgers running for his life is a big advantage

Been reading there's a chance that Adams might play next game. I mean if he's cleared then sure, but crazy since that hit looked like it was life changing

Also on the fuck Randall wagon. Guy seems immature and has an ego, not a good combo when you play like shit. Let's hope King pans out

Been reading there's a chance that Adams might play next game. I mean if he's cleared then sure, but crazy since that hit looked like it was life changing

Also on the fuck Randall wagon. Guy seems immature and has an ego, not a good combo when you play like shit. Let's hope King pans out
I've been stuck watching King for 3 years make Luke Falk look like a high school player. He'll pan out.

Back