Your thoughts on those modern reboots of classic slasher franchises?

Continually awesome threads from you, man.

Thanks bro, I appreciate it.

I thought Friday the 13th was shit. Damn. I barely got through it.

It's funny how people's tastes go. Because you think it was the worst of the three while there are others ITT who say it was the best.

I was reading a /film article on horror remakes, for instance, that praised Gus Van Zant's Psycho.

Props for being a /Film (a.k.a. Slashfilm for those who don't know) reader.

Their podcast is actually my favorite movie podcast. I've been listening for years.

Now Nightmare on Elm Street remake I thought was the best of the bunch. A lot of people disagree, but, for me, the film checked all the criteria I was looking for.

- takes itself seriously- the Nightmare on Elm Street lore is some of the scariest horror movie stuff out there. But Englund, great as he was, definitely became more of a sardonically funny character toward the later sequels. In fact, he went from pure menace in the first one to wisecracker who was somehow becoming the anti-hero of the movies. Since Englund was so iconic and entertaining, it was fun to watch to an extent, but you definitely need a change of pace once the property was going to be redone. I liked that right from the opening sequence with Lutz, there's an ominous, creepy vibe going. Throughout the film, the weight of the burden on these characters is there.

- plays with the tenuous state of overtired wakefulness- one of the best things about the Nightmare on Elm street concept is this notion of having to fight the urge to go to sleep. But sleep is inexorable and eventually it's going to come whether you want it to or not. This movie, like the series heyday- created that thing line of sleep and wake that makes Freddy so intimidating

- good actor as Freddy Kruger- seemed like an extremely difficult task to replace Englund but Haley was really good in my opinion. I even liked the look, which I felt was smart to change things up and make it look more like a burn victim.

- the liberties that they took with the storyline were not distracting or problematic- the ambiguity of what Freddy did when he was alive was an interesting angle. You have the notion that maybe he's getting revenge since he was unjustly killed but then you have that ultra-creepy scene in the school basement or boiler room which to me was just very very unsettling.

So yeah- I'll stand by my defense of that movie. Not a great horror film by any stretch. The leads characters were rather uninteresting and there were some scenes that were far less effective than others. That said, I think it's better than many of the horror remakes I've seen and is actually probably middle of the pack if you were to order it in with the entire Nigthmare franchise. That is, there are four Freddy movies (at least) I'd be happy to rank it over.

Like I said in an earlier post, I thought the NOES remake was okay, but I didn't like the pedophilia overtones and I didn't think all that was necessary. To quote myself, "It was the wrong kind of creepy."

Other than that though, I remember thinking it was a solid enough reboot, though Freddy being a wisecracker was always one of my favorite things about the character.

Been a long time since I last watched any of the films in the original series, except for the first one, which I saw just a few years ago. When I was younger I remember really liking The Dream Master, but I would have to go back and re-watch them all today to re-assess the franchise to have a real opinion.

i poop too much, then i get tired

maxresdefault.jpg

I like those slasher movies. They're good to sit down get high and laugh at.

I like the remakes too. It's not like any of the originals were great films either.

Stop wasting money and everybody's time, IMO.

The remake/reboot as a concept is batting far less than .500 as it is.

You mean profit wise or art wise? Even a lot of the ones people hate like the ANOES remake made a ton of money on a relatively small budget.

The only one I kind of liked was Rob Zombie's Halloween.

they're incredibly hollow attempts by the industry to make easy profit...they'e lazy, uninspired and devoid of creativity/inspiration.... they're just dogshit

Rob Zombie's Halloween was aight.

I enjoyed the Halloween movies. Zombie's approach.

T
The Halloween (2007) and Halloween II (2009) remakes were also garbage.

I really liked Rob Zombies Halloween movie

Rob Zombie's Halloween films were ok.

Halloween I sort of liked.

I hated Rob Zombie's Halloween he pretty much took a giant dump on everything that made the original great.

RZ's Halloween was decent.

@shadow_priest_x you better be watching the RZ Halloween by now, young man!

Okay, just got done watching Halloween.

I didn't love it, but I also don't think it's a bad movie. I think that for what he was trying to do, he actually did a pretty good job of it. The question, really, is if there is any merit in telling the story this way.

From a craftsmanship standpoint I thought the film was actually quite good. The production design and cinematography work together to give the film a distinctive look, the direction renders some nice shots from interesting angles, and the acting was solid across the board.

Just to get this out of the way, as I'm sure some of you (but probably not all of you) know, the little girl who starred in Halloween 4 (Danielle Harris). . .

Jamie-Lloyd-danielle-harris-22817915-460-259.jpg

. . . plays Annie Brackett in this one:

f51eda807ced4624e0fdecd772895add--halloween-series-halloween-.jpg

She's all grown up!

This film is almost like two movies in one. There's Michael Myers backstory and escape from the asylum. And once that is out of the way, we then get what is something like an abbreviated remake of the original film.

Does MM's backstory need to be told? Not really, and doing so obviously makes this a fundamentally different movie from its predecessor. I think that an element of mystery is important, regardless of whether we're talking about MM or Jason or Freddy or really any other slasher villain who's going to be really interesting.

But at the same time, what I will give Rob Zombie credit for is for doing something different. I think @ufcfan4 made the point earlier that remakes/reboots need to justify their existence by giving audiences something different from what they've already seen, and RZ did definitely did that here and I have to applaud him at least for that. He worked hard to really make this version of the story his own.

I could not fucking wait, however, to get away from all the trashy people at the beginning of the movie--not counting the mom, who ends up being one of the few decent characters in the whole film.

And that leads me to the next point I want to make: Why is everyone in Haddonfield so nasty? It seems like almost every single character in this thing--even the "good" ones--has some kind of fucking attitude. Every line has to be delivered with a snarl or a tinge of sarcasm, if not outright contempt. I'm not sure what it says about Rob Zombie that he feels compelled to populate nearly the entire film with these kinds of people, but I know it says SOMETHING.

Most of the major characters in John Carpenter's movie have a counterpart in this film, but none of them are as likable in this film than they are in Carpenter's. The girl who plays Laurie Strode in this one has nothing on Jamie Lee Curtis. Malcom McDowell does a good job as Dr. Loomis, but again, he has such a fucking hard edge to him that it's difficult to REALLY like him. The girls who play Laurie's friends just come off as bitches, so yeah, fucking kill them, who cares. And so on.

The other thing that really stuck out to me was just how serious the film took itself. Obviously many of the entries in the 80s' slasher franchises became straight up campy, but it always seemed to me that even the more serious ones were winking at the camera just a little bit. But there is none of that here. RZ just wants to make a violent, bloody film that would apparently not be complete without at least one scene of gratuitous rape.

I do think that this movie deserves more credit than its gotten, because it has gotten almost none from what I can tell. With a 25% RT score, and mostly lackluster-at-best fan reactions, I think RZ deserves a little more praise than that. Like I said, I think that the thing it's trying to do, it does a pretty good job of. But I just am not that interested in the thing it's trying to do.

This is one of those movies that I'm glad I've seen once, and I'm glad that I can now join in on conversations about it, but I doubt it's a movie I'll ever watch again.

Good job, I share mostly the same feelings as you. Worth of more praise than it has, but ultimately a very flawed film.

I really disliked the whole trailer trash origin in RZ Halloween. I liked MM being from a regular suburban family.

I really disliked the whole trailer trash origin in RZ Halloween. I liked MM being from a regular suburban family.

Yeah, I didn't really care for that either. In fact, I was REALLY fucking happy when we got to get away from those people.

The mom was fine but she was surrounded by assholes.

The second RZ movie is similar to the first in the fact that he retells the original (Halloween 2) in abbreviated form .

I think the first 10 minutes are the only ones worth a watch.

One of my biggest gripes with RZ's version of Halloween as a whole, is the direction he went with Dr. Loomis. He's supposed to be the one line of defense against Michael that we can actually count on. He should 100% be a likable character. RZ turned him into a dick in the 2nd movie. I couldn't get behind that whatsoever.

This isn't slasher news, but I recently watched a review of Killer Klowns from Outer Space and apparently the brothers who made it are pushing for a remake that will kickoff a trilogy. I have some downtime at work so I think I'm gonna give that movie another watch.

I have decided to do a Friday the 13th marathon in honor of Halloween and this month had a Friday the 13h in it

I am in the process of location them

Most of these movies I have never seen so it is going to be interesting

I have decided to do a Friday the 13th marathon in honor of Halloween and this month had a Friday the 13h in it

I am in the process of location them

Most of these movies I have never seen so it is going to be interesting

I think I may do the same. On Friday the 13th Xbox had all of the original movies on sale for $13.

Last edited:
This isn't slasher news, but I recently watched a review of Killer Klowns from Outer Space and apparently the brothers who made it are pushing for a remake that will kickoff a trilogy. I have some downtime at work so I think I'm gonna give that movie another watch.

Makes sense with the clownphobia people have now.

I'll be curious to hear how well you think it holds up.

Back