Your thoughts on those modern reboots of classic slasher franchises?

Dawn of The Dead (2004) & The Hills Have Eyes (2005) were improvements over the originals.

This.

Really wish they made a 3rd film.

They managed to capture a fucked up creepy tone throughout those movies. The old man in the wheel chair in the bathroom with his shit bag was a nice touch.

I'm certain there is a TCM prequel coming out.

No, that one was a sequel to the original cannon.

Okay.

Just thought you literally were under the impression there were only 2.

Anyway, agreed this series is the probably the only good modern horror remake.

Rob Zombie giving Michael Myers rationale was an interesting idea, but ultimately unwanted and unnecessary.

They managed to capture a fucked up creepy tone throughout those movies. The old man in the wheel chair in the bathroom with his shit bag was a nice touch.

I'm certain there is a TCM prequel coming out.

And the 2005 prequel was actually creepier than 2003 remake.

R Lee Ermy should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor for that performance.... but that's unheard of for a horror movie... and he's a Republican.

I've only seen the RZ Halloween out of the bunch and it is okay. None of the characters are likeable so its easy to want them all to die.

I'd imagine it would not be difficult for the FTT remake to blow the original out the water. I'm a fan of the franchise, but the first one is unwatchable. Having a post-menopause woman being this ruthless killer is not scary at all. Plus I know the importance of hiding some things from the audience in these movies, but the first FTT did a little too much of that in terms of the kills and the villain to hide the twist.

And the 2005 prequel was actually creepier than 2003 remake.

R Lee Ermy should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor for that performance.... but that's unheard of for a horror movie... and he's a Republican.

Ermy def plays a good sociopath/psychotic in these.

I am a fan of slashers and 80's horror films in general.. they were fucking awesome but there is one big problem that separates them from their modern counterparts, that is the fun. When i was a child and more naive i was genuinely terrified of the gore and of the killers, iconic and less so (myers scared the shit out of me). The fun of these old movies is the campiness that makes them rewatchable and followable they have weird out there plots filmed on shoestring budgets by people who are having making their projects.
Me an my buds can still sit down and thrown on a classic slaher and laugh and reminisce about the campiness but even movies like scanners that are horror movies but are also interesting sci-fi themes as well. Or the morbidly dark like evil dead are fun movies.. modern movies where they pump up the budget just don't have that same feel for me and the movies lose their charm because by now i have seen the slutty cheerleader decapitated 10+ times in various different ways. Giving them more 3d and backstory in a reboot just is not fun for me.

Anyway despite the first RZ Halloween was good

The RZ Halloween had a single scene that ruined the entire movie for me. I loved the tone and message he was aiming for, but a single scene destroyed it.

I don't mind slasher remakes if they're done with the same general tone. I didn't mind ANoES reboot. Don't think I saw the Friday the 13th one.

I Spit On Your Grave and Last House on the Left also had pretty good remakes.

This isn't slasher news, but I recently watched a review of Killer Klowns from Outer Space and apparently the brothers who made it are pushing for a remake that will kickoff a trilogy. I have some downtime at work so I think I'm gonna give that movie another watch.

This movie almost killed me once. I was really high and the way the old man from the beginning talked and acted was making me laugh so hard that I actually passed out briefly and fell down in my kitchen. Gave the wife a good scare. If the guys from the original have anything to do with the newer movies, I'd be interesting in watching them.

Also, this song rocks.

I don't like the spoon fed backstory and motivations given to these characters. They worked much better as just some supernatural, driven, unstoppable force. Especially the troubled childhood story given to Meyers or the overt kiddie molester stuff given to Freddie.

Thst said, I thoroughly enjoyed JEH's performance as Freddie.

Still think he would be a damn good Carnage in the Spidey films other than being a far amount too old.

Ermy def plays a good sociopath/psychotic in these.
I met him at a Glock event and got a photo. Real personable dude, good with kids (was the voice of the Army men in Toy Story) and just all around seemed happy to be meeting fans.

He had some hilarious jokes that could only come from a Marine DI. Was even nice enough to go Full Metal Jacket and tell at some people for pictures.

Back