The Dumbing Down of America Points in One Direction--Right

DickSarp

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
“There is a growing and disturbing trend of anti-intellectual elitism in American culture. It’s the dismissal of science, the arts, and humanities and their replacement by entertainment, self-righteousness, ignorance, and deliberate gullibility.” I think we can readily distinguish the Trump supporter in that paragraph.

“The rise of idiot America today represents--for profit mainly, but also and more cynically, for political advantage in the pursuit of power--the breakdown of a consensus that the pursuit of knowledge is a good. It also represents the ascendancy of the notion that the people whom we should trust the least are the people who best know what they are talking about. In the new media age, everybody is an expert.” No crime against that. Trump has brought WWE to politics. That appeals to kids and servile dullards. Trump supporters are obedient easily entertained morons.

“There’s a pervasive suspicion of rights, privileges, knowledge and specialization. The very mission of universities has changed. We don’t educate people anymore. We train them to get jobs.” Acquisitive success is the No. 1 goal of today’s ignoramus / savage where the purchase of fungible goods defines the character, standing and very being of the dull-witted consumer. They have pride in Chevy or Apple or Coke or Walmart. Certainly no esteem exists in their own intellectual pursuits.

· After leading the world for decades in 25-34 year olds with university degrees, the U.S. is now in 12th place.

· The World Economic Forum ranked the U.S. at 52nd among 139 nations in the quality of its university math and science instruction in 2010.;

· [O]nly 28% of high school science teachers consistently follow the National Research Council guidelines on teaching evolution, and 13% of those teachers explicitly advocate creationism or "intelligent design;"

· 18% of Americans still believe that the sun revolves around the earth, according to a Gallup poll;

· 74% of Republicans in the U.S. Senate and 53% in the House of Representatives deny the validity of climate change;

· 68% of public school children in the U.S. do not read proficiently by the time they finish third grade.;

· arely 50% of students are ready for college level reading when they graduate;

· And more than 40% of Americans under 44 did not read a single book--fiction or nonfiction--over the course of a year.;

· 42 percent of Americans still believe God created human beings in their present form less than 10,000 years ago;

· 25 percent of public school biology teachers believe that humans and dinosaurs inhabited the earth simultaneously.

“We’re creating a world of dummies. Angry dummies who feel they have the right, the authority and the need not only to comment on everything, but to make sure their voice is heard above the rest, and to drag down any opposing views through personal attacks, loud repetition and confrontation. … the herd mentality takes over online; the anti-intellectuals become the metaphorical equivalent of an angry lynch mob when anyone either challenges one of the mob beliefs or posts anything outside the mob’s self-limiting set of values.”

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...-intellectualism-and-the-dumbing-down-america

The obvious solution to this trend is crushing the ego in a pursuit of knowledge. Dialectical reasoning can help. I believe in ‘a’ but what if ‘not a’ is or could be the answer? Would I hold dear my support of Trump if the shoe were on the other foot and Hillary Clinton had the history of fraud, theft, money laundering, lying, sexual assault, bullying, etc., etc.? That is a hint and a taste that can open up your world. The difference between being and becoming . . . something else, instead of what you are, which is a frightened follower.

I don't understand what u are saying.

I agree it's more a problem for the right than left, but not exclusively.

The anti intellectualism on most topics on this board are pretty staggering, but what is worse is how proud a lot of reactionary posters are of not knowing anything. Like it's a badge of honour.

There is at least one user on this forum that doesn't believe in Mars.

I don't really have a point to make, just felt like it fit in this thread.

A lot of them think going to college will turn you gay, or that they have some terrorist agenda. Weird stuff in the war room. Like the twilight zone.

The mainstream right has become brazenly anti-intellectual, and the mainstream left has had a lot of success in corrupting intellectual thought.

Which came first? Subjective revolution or false-objective reactionaries?

In my opinion sadly very few people are still looking to answer the questions for what the answers should be, but are rather looking to answer the questions of what they want the answers to be.

The mainstream right has become brazenly anti-intellectual, and the mainstream left has had a lot of success in corrupting intellectual thought.

Which came first? Subjective revolution or false-objective reactionaries?

In my opinion sadly very few people are still looking to answer the questions for what the answers should be, but are rather looking to answer the questions of what they want the answers to be.
How did the mainstream left (would you define that please) corrupt intellectual thought?

I'm very serious. I see no merit to your claim but I'd like to hear you out.

Agreed, we need more NJPW in our politics. The WWE is a bloated corpse that's obsessed with profit.

How did the mainstream left (would you define that please) corrupt intellectual thought?

I'm very serious. I see no merit to your claim but I'd like to hear you out.

Who can say I am right or wrong?

The answer to every question is now subjective based upon my feelings and experiences.

Hmm.

A lot of them think going to college will turn you gay, or that they have some terrorist agenda. Weird stuff in the war room.
While anti-intellectualism definitely is on the rise, mostly on the political right, most active right-wingers here in the war room have at least a bachelor's degree

I mean we need Antonio Inoki to slap the shit out of every politician and instill some honor in to them.

Antonio-Inoki-slap.jpg

While anti-intellectualism definitely is on the rise, mostly on the political right, most active right-wingers here in the war room have at least a bachelor's degree

I'm not sure I believe that. College degrees aren't reserved for those on the left. So I hope it to be true. I know I've had discussions with more than a few really bright posters who find themselves on the right.

The T.S. has a point as well that the right now eats it's own intellectuals.

This is just speculation, however, I would guess that most of the "base" on the right has been fooled into thinking that intellectuals, even on the right, are almost all a waste of time who just "read too much" rather than "doing" in the sense of America's post-revolutionary obsession with action over words.

We can see how the right treats what few intellectuals it has using this test: any objection to the thousand year rule of Trump is jumped on by the howling mob of Bannonites and Drudgians.

We do not need you Jonah Goldberg, Mitch McMonnel, et al. we have someone who "fights" for us, and when he fails or does not fight for us, "RHINOS" or "globalists" are to blame.

Maybe Joe the Plumber can conjure up a way to fix healthcare reform or military, social spending, gun rights...

Oh wait, your average Joe does not understand these things because he is too busy "doing" than studying what these things mean.

The right does not get that equation. That you need both good ideas and good leaders to make a plan work, they want all sword, no pen.

Just look at the backlash against professors for not pushing backwoods ideology.

I'm not sure I believe that. College degrees aren't reserved for those on the left. So I hope it to be true. I know I've had discussions with more than a few really bright posters who find themselves on the right.
Well, either you make statements based on what posters say about their education or you can't make any statement at all.
But you can't subjectively judge how trustworthy single users are and then make statements about something like the distribution of college degrees, I assume most leftists didn't send you copies of their certificates either.

Yeah, you guys push the real science, like gay conversion therapy, prayer studies, and creationism......
Keep turning your 11 year olds into ze's and zer's. I hear those puberty blocking pills and hormones are the real science.

I wonder why the Kochs are spending millions in "donations" to universities to promote their shitty libertarian ideas?

Back