Senate Tax Bill Passes - at 2:00 AM (EST)

Its meaningless to the working class. I've been told the same nonsense since I first had taxes taken out of a paycheck. It was as meaningless to me then as it is now. The debt getting bigger has not and will not ever have any tangible effect on me.

The GFC was a picnic to the working class? And guy, that was a fucking squall compared to what's coming around the corner in the next correction.

It'll matter to you when the interest on the debt* is no longer being paid off.

Last edited:
Do you really think that everyone who is worried about the debt lives off the govt. teat and doesn't wake up to work? All I can tell you is that I've been nervous about it since I became cognizant of it under Obama, and I've been middle class that entire time.
Thats unnecessary stress. Theres nothing you can do about it. Nothing you do will help or make a difference. This country's problems aren't the fact that the middle class doesn't contribute enough.

On the contrary, I don't believe people who live on the gov't teat care one but about the burden, yet those are the people we insist on giving everything too.
They don't care because its the middle class who shoulders their burden. What, you think Percoset Pete and Welfare Wendy have any opinion at all? They don't care, they get everything handed to them. When has tax burden been an issue for them?

The GFC was a picnic to the working class? And guy, that was a fucking squall compared to what's coming around the corner in the next correction.

It'll matter to you when its no longer being paid off.
Honestly it didn't effect me or one person I know one bit. I bet if you polled middle class workers working during that period 85% of them wouldn't even be sure what GFC is.

Thats unnecessary stress. Theres nothing you can do about it. Nothing you do will help or make a difference. This country's problems aren't the fact that the middle class doesn't contribute enough.

On the contrary, I don't believe people who live on the gov't teat care one but about the burden, yet those are the people we insist on giving everything too.
They don't care because its the middle class who shoulders their burden. What, you think Percoset Pete and Welfare Wendy have any opinion at all? They don't care, they get everything handed to them. When has tax burden been an issue for them?
I understand where you're coming from, but I think it's a bit fatalistic. There's a lot the middle class could do to fix it. The problem is that we all know what the solution is but nobody wants to through with it. It doesn't all have to be in terms of personal finances.

Honestly it didn't effect me or one person I know one bit. I bet if you polled middle class workers working during that period 85% of them wouldn't even be sure what GFC is.

Your cheese is off your cracker boy.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think it's a bit fatalistic. There's a lot the middle class could do to fix it. The problem is that we all know what the solution is but nobody wants to through with it. It doesn't all have to be in terms of personal finances.

What's the obvious solution again?

Its meaningful to the people (domestic and abroad) that figure is owed. It hasn't been a problem historically because our income has been able to at least cover the interest. Recently, since the GFC, that capability has been held in place by ZIRP and near ZIRP. Once interest rates rise during this next correction, or velocity and a new even bigger round of QE picks up, its a completely different ball game my man.

Like I said, as a man who gets up and works every single day, not one word you posted means a thing to me and my own. We pander to deadbeats enough in this country. Time to give something back to the people who contribute.

<Prem974>

What's the obvious solution again?
I'm not pretending to know some magic solution, but obviously spending needs to be cut. And my layman's guess is that it would need to affect areas that both major parties don't want to touch.

I'm not pretending to know some magic solution, but obviously spending needs to be cut. And my layman's guess is that it would need to affect areas that both major parties don't want to touch.

Everybody keeps talking about a cut in spending, but like you said that's a problem when no one wants to even reduce the growth in spending.

Count me in on the near term fatalistic crowd.

Everybody keeps talking about a cut in spending, but like you said that's a problem when no one wants to even reduce the growth in spending.
I made a post lamenting this very thing a little while ago in the "Political Topics that Trigger You Thread" or whatever it was called. At any rate, I can't join in the sentiment that there's nothing we can do about it. If and when we're forced to pay for this, it'll be our own fault.

War is not as much a matter of soldiery as it is of money....

Ultimately though, I agree. That's the classic response of a state in financial death throes.

Not necesarily war, just blaming the problems of the country on foreigners while making bank.

Thats what communists in Venezuela have been doing while they tighten the grip on power.

If its through the purchasing power of your money, its precisely the same thing (the almost guaranteed scenario of the two between outright default and inflation).

You go ahead and worry about it then.

Like I said, as a man who gets up and works every single day, not one word you posted means a thing to me and my own. We pander to deadbeats enough in this country. Time to give something back to the people who contribute.

LOL @ pandering to deadbeats.

You don't realize that your willful economic illiteracy is what is being pandered to and is what has been pandered to for decades to the detriment of generations of Americans. It's not the mythical lazy welfare queens: it's the reductive voters who think macroeconomics is an exercise in high-minded charity that is the threat.

The middle class swelled in size and economic power when we introduced demand-side social democratic measures 1935-1970. The New Deal wasn't a concoction in empathy: it was demand-side stimulant that helped the entire country. That same middle class, which you seem to so proudly count yourself within, has been shrinking dramatically since 1980 when we started abiding by this reductive nonsense that the underclasses are just lazy moochers and that we should be shifting capital back to the very top in some voodoo top-down meritocratic wet dream.

The implied notion that the 3% of GDP that we spend on non-retiree welfare benefits is what is keeping "the people who contribute" from flourishing is moronic.

LOL @ pandering to deadbeats.

You don't realize that your willful economic illiteracy is what is being pandered to and is what has been pandered to for decades to the detriment of generations of Americans. It's not the mythical lazy welfare queens: it's the reductive voters who think macroeconomics is an exercise in high-minded charity that is the threat.

The middle class swelled in size and economic power when we introduced demand-side social democratic measures 1935-1970. The New Deal wasn't a concoction in empathy: it was demand-side stimulant that helped the entire country. That same middle class, which you seem to so proudly count yourself within, has been shrinking dramatically since 1980 when we started abiding by this reductive nonsense that the underclasses are just lazy moochers and that we should be shifting capital back to the very top in some voodoo top-down meritocratic wet dream.

The implied notion that the 3% of GDP that we spend on non-retiree welfare benefits is what is keeping "the people who contribute" from flourishing is moronic.
Solid post

Solid post

It just blows my mind that self-righteous flippancy like that even exists in the (pre-net neutrality repeal, perhaps) era of unlimited access to information.

There is no excuse for a literate adult, who can articulate his thoughts clear and intelligently on the internet, to recycle that poisonous shit. Thinking the world was as simple and morally bifurcated is for elementary school.

Your cheese is off your cracker boy.
You're just out of touch with a lot of people. Not everyone sits around googling economic stats. If you think middle class workers are sitting around worrying about the national debt, you are a loon. We've been working and paying taxes, that debt climbs and nothing changes.

The debt is not something the average citizen really has any reason to think about. People are more concerned with feeding their kids and paying the bills week to week.

Maybe you're economically stable enough to not have to worry about those things, or maybe you have time to think of those things because you don't work , I don't know. But trust me, Joe Schmoe and his wife, getting up and working shitty jobs everyday to have are the same shit as welfare cheats who do nothing don't care about national debt and are NOT effected by it. I certainly have not been.

Back