Locked STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI v.3 (Dragonlord's Initial Review)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: December 17, 2017

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI Opens to $220 Million in U.S., Hits $450 Million Globally

KYRdo59.jpg

Disney and Lucasfilm's Star Wars: The Last Jedi delivered an early Christmas present for Hollywood and theater owners with a near-record $220 million debut in North America, the second-best showing of all time behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

The Last Jedi opened a mere 11 percent behind The Force Awakens' record-shattering domestic launch of $247.9 million on the same weekend in 2015, a rare feat in the age of sequels. Revenue for the weekend spiked more than 30 percent over the same weekend last year, helping to narrow the yearly gap from 4 percent to 3 percent.

Internationally, director Rian Johnson's tentpole took in $230 million from 54 markets for a worldwide launch of $450 million. The Last Jedi came in 20 percent-25 percent Force Awakens overseas, where sci-fi can be a tough sell. The big question mark is China, where Last Jedi doesn't open until Jan. 5. IMAX theaters turned in $40.6 million globally.

Buoyed by glowing reviews and an A CinemaScore, The Last Jedi is one of only three films to open to $200 million or more domestically after The Force Awakens, Universal's Jurassic World ($208.8 million) and fellow Disney title The Avengers ($207.4 million), not accounting for inflation. And the Star Wars series is now the first film franchise in history to see two installments clear $200 million in another win for the Disney production empire and marketing team.

The Last Jedi — otherwise known as Episode VIII — reunites many of the new Star Wars actors introduced in The Force Awakens, including Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis and Lupita Nyong'o, along with original stars Mark Hamill and the late Carrie Fisher, to whom the movie is dedicated. Franchise newcomers include Kelly Maria Tran, Laura Dern and Benicio del Toro.

The story picks up immediately after the events of The Force Awakens, with Rey (Ridley) seeking out Luke (Hamill) to help the Resistance (led by Fisher's Leia) and its fight against the villainous Kylo Ren (Driver) and The First Order.

The movie came in well ahead of last year's stand-alone film, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story ($155.1 million). Globally, Force Awakens and Rogue One went on to to earn $2.1 billion and $1.1 billion, respectively.

The Last Jedi blasted off just as Disney announced its $52.4 billion bid to buy major 21st Century Fox assets, including the film studio, home of George Lucas' first six Star Wars movies prior to selling Lucasfilm to Disney.

In a twist of fate, the only film daring to open opposite the event film was Fox's Ferdinand, from Fox Animation and Blue Sky Studios. Ferdinand placed No. 2 with $13.3 million from 3,261 theaters, the lowest debut of any Fox Animation/Blue Sky title. At the same time, Fox believes the movie will enjoy a strong multiple over the holidays thanks to younger tots and their parents looking for something to do. In 2015, Fox's Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip opened opposite The Force Awakens to $14.3 million on its way to collecting a total $85.9 million domestically.

Weekend Box Office: 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Opens to Near-Record $220M in U.S., Hits $450M Globally

The only possible explanation for anyone saying The Last Jedi is worse than the prequels (or to claim the prequels are better than almost any movie ever to receive wide release) is severe brain damage.

Caused the problem? How so? Have you even seen that episode?

By doing what he did he exposed the Doomsday Machine’s weakness. His death wasn’t in vain.

Edit: or do you mean Finn was the asshole that caused the problem, because then I agree. He, Poe and Fatty did cause the problem, with some contribution from the Vicd Admiral by keeping them in the dark.
Have I even seen the episode?!
I oughtta hit you so hard you'll think you got royal fizzbinned.

He caused the problem by taking command of the Enterprise and putting it at risk for no good reason.

It did the nostalgia correctly. It was entertaining. Just not as deep as it acts like it is.

Why didn’t Laura Dern take 30 seconds to explain her plan?

Because if she did, then Poe, Finn, and Rose have nothing to do for the rest of the movie. Awful writing.

At that point even we the audience isn't sure how they're being tracked. Could be a spy. Even so Holdo recognizes the plan looks like cowardice, and they did mutiny as a result of finding out so wanting to delay these problems by keeping it Need To Know isn't a bad thing. There could be more reasons. But it was also necessary to make it seem like, hell, maybe she's the spy. Or incompetent.

I thought it was going to be a mole that planted a tracker on the cruiser when I was watching it. Would have made a lot more sense, but they didn't even mention that being a possibility during the movie.

The only possible explanation for anyone saying The Last Jedi is worse than the prequels (or to claim the prequels are better than almost any movie ever to receive wide release) is severe brain damage.
No, revenge of the Sith was better.

That scene of Leia in space..... i can't get that out of my head. It was so bad.

Leapfrogged over the entire domestic run of JL in a single weekend. Wow.

Youd have to be retarded to debut opposite any star wars movie.

There were numerous parts throughout that had me rolling my eyes and cringing like fuck, but surprisingly, overall, I actually walked away somewhat enjoying this thing. I'd say it washed a lot of the bad taste out of my mouth from the dreadful TFA. Though I imagine this was for certain individual scenes that made me happy, not the movie as a whole overall.

But man, Kylo was STILL made to be a total bitch. So the red guards have both he and Rey is choke holds, Rey is able to overcome and escape the guard that has her and defeat him, but Kylo is not. Rey had to come to his rescue. Are you kidding me? The guy they're trying to set up as the big bad........is still made to look like a total bitch and complete joke. AGAIN?! Wow.

And at the end you can see how lost Kylo truly is to the dark side..... yet he shows no traditional signs of being lost to the dark side......."because."

So now all of a sudden ships are concerned with fuel, even though we've never heard of this before? And ships have unlimited shielding that never degrades with prolonged hits. And weapons are unlimited too? So shields, weapons, unlimited. "Fuel" all of a sudden not. Riiiiiiiight.

And we're also to believe that the Dreadnought had no deflector shields activated in the beginning...... because?! Fuck this gay Disney SW.

The best thing of the whole movie was John Williams' score. This has got to be his best work since..... possibly Jurassic Park. (Though a lot of it was recycled from the OT)

Overall, a significant improvement over the absolutely astonishingly abysmal Force Awakens. Doesn't touch the OT though.

Last edited:
There were numerous parts throughout that had me rolling my eyes and cringing like fuck, but surprisingly, overall, I actually walked away somewhat enjoying this thing. I'd say it washed a lot of the bad taste out of my mouth from the dreadful TFA. Though I imagine this was for certain individual scenes that made me happy, not the movie as a whole overall.

But man, Kylo was STILL made to be a total bitch. So the red guards have both he and Rey is choke holds, Rey is able to overcome and escape the guard that has her and defeat him, but Kylo is not. Rey had to come to his rescue. Are you kidding me? The guy they're trying to set up as the big bad........is still made to look like a total bitch and complete joke. AGAIN?! Wow.

And at the end you can see how lost Kylo truly is to the dark side..... yet he shows no traditional signs of being lost to the dark side......."because."

So now all of a sudden ships are concerned with fuel, even though we've never heard of this before? And ships have unlimited shielding that never degrades with prolonged hits. And weapons are unlimited too? So shields, weapons, unlimited. "Fuel" all of a sudden not. Riiiiiiiight.

And we're also to believe that the Dreadnought had no deflector shields activated in the beginning...... because?! Fuck this gay Disney SW.

The best thing of the whole movie was John Williams' score. This has got to be his best work since..... possibly Jurassic Park.

Overall, a significant improvement over the absolutely astonishingly abysmal Force Awakens. Doesn't touch the OT though.
I thought TFA introduced them as likeable characters.
This development has, in part, squandered that potential.

I really liked the movie and it was better then TFA but still had problems especially late with some character interactions and the way they wrapped the movie up.

8/10 looking forward to the next one and Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley were good and Mark Hamill was excellent. Seems like he clearly wanted to be there, unlike Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford in TFA who looked like they could give a fuck less.

Too bad that they didn't give much for Gwen Chrisite, Laura Dern, Benicio Del Toro and Domnhall Gleeson to work with or do. Good talents who were wasted.

Don't even get me started on Finns subplot. That would be spoilers but wow, just dumb.

The visuals were awesome and loved the direction of the movie. Way better the JJ and no shitty lense flares and ikea sets.

I Think a big part of this movies opening draw is the waiting for the return of luke, they teased us with it in tfa, and got naked, danced around and left us hanging.

I think this movie will not have the viewing numbers total of the others. Once word is out what we’ve waited 32 years for isn’t there.

Some of hammils interviews are pretty funny.

He’s shook as he should be, this shit is ridiculous

I thought TFA introduced them as likeable characters.
This development has, in part, squandered that potential.

It was different for me. I couldn't have possibly found Rey or Finn MORE unlikeable in TFA, but all of a sudden here, the impossible has happened.... I actually, somewhat, sorta, kinda, suddenly find them to be not quite so bad. And Rey looks like she's put on about 10 pounds which I actually find has made her more attractive.

I liked Kylo in TFA (one of the few things) but they totally destroyed any badassness he brought to the table by the end of it. Then here I liked him even more, though they're still keeping him from being an out and out badass. But whatever. I can already tell he's going to be bitched out AGAIN in IX. It's only a matter of time before the infallible Rey defeats him permanently.

Honestly, one of the aspects of the movie I loved was where Rey and Kylo were talking to each other through the force. I sorta got that vibe that they could eventually become a couple down the road. But then that was killed by the end of the movie. Bummer. I'd much rather see Rey and Kylo hook up than Rey and Poe. (Lame)

The lightspeed collision was awesome. I've been dreaming about that happening in either Star Wars or Star Trek since the early 90s, even before seeing The Best of Both Worlds. I'm glad I finally saw it and for the most part it didn't disappoint.

As long as they keep making bank, these movies will not improve.

It was different for me. I couldn't have possibly found Rey or Finn MORE unlikeable in TFA, but all of a sudden here, the impossible has happened.... I actually, somewhat, sorta, kinda, suddenly find them to be not quite so bad. And Rey looks like she's put on about 10 pounds which I actually find has made her more attractive.

I liked Kylo in TFA (one of the few things) but they totally destroyed any badassness he brought to the table by the end of it. Then here I liked him even more, though they're still keeping him from being an out and out badass. But whatever. I can already tell he's going to be bitched out AGAIN in IX. It's only a matter of time before the infallible Rey defeats him permanently.

Honestly, one of the aspects of the movie I loved was where Rey and Kylo were talking to each other through the force. I sorta got that vibe that they could eventually become a couple down the road. But then that was killed by the end of the movie. Bummer. I'd much rather see Rey and Kylo hook up than Rey and Poe. (Lame)

The lightspeed collision was awesome. I've been dreaming about that happening in either Star Wars or Star Trek since the early 90s, even before seeing The Best of Both Worlds. I'm glad I finally saw it and for the most part it didn't disappoint.
I wanted Rey and Finn.
So did Finn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back