• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Max hasn't faced a Div I wrestler since Bermudez

Yes, he's done that against non Div I wrestlers, now lets see him do it consistently against a Div I wrestler who mixes things up better than anyone else and who has equal, if not better cardio.

Despite being Div III wrestler, Lamas has always shown great, dominant takedown technique. Not many weren't on their backs when he wanted them to. But Max is one of them.

Don't stick to the college achievements, man. MMA wrestling is the whole different story anyway, it's not something they teach in college .

frankie is 36 now thou, its old as fuck for an athlete , especially in lower divisions

your athletic prime is 27 to 29 years old

The thing with edgar is he isn't going to gas...his only chance to win is to get max down and keep him there as long as possible...I'm sure max knows this and hopefully is working on his tdd. REally working on it...We could see a down to the wire close decision...

Frankie doesn' gas and can box. Aldo found Max chin but gassed doing it.

Great fight!

Frankie, never stops, never been stopped
16-5-1 against multiple generations of top level comp across 2 weight classes
Only lost to three people

Edgar gonna edgar!! andnew
22-5-1

so what. max has fought many bjj blackbelts and really how many d 1 wrestlers are top contenders at 145 pounds any way
That could be bad for max tho. Not enough d1 in the higher ranks for him to get used to that type of pressure. Max is great tho and I'm sure he's worked on his tdd. This is gonna be a great fight

I already gave you some good technical reasons why he’s ready.

Max is also taller, faster and rangier than Edgar.

Nearly everyone Edgar has ever fought has been taller than himself. Max also hasn't experienced a pressure fighter like Frankie, either. We'll see how well he does keeping his hips away from Frankie when Frankie is cutting the cage off and feinting and punching Max back into the fence. Or, if Max decides to get aggressive, like he did in round three of both Aldo fights, and like Mx always does later in later fight, then he opens himself up for the reactive double leg as he jumps into the pocket to exchange.

If Max decides to switch stances make fight at a longer range then Edgar will need to take an extra step to get in on the hips and that’s ample time for a guy like Max to move. And doing so, he can get Edgar to switch to a single leg rather than a double leg.

If he switches stances back and forth, then he better time it well because that too is an opening for a takedown If Edgar times it correctly. As for making Edgar grab a single, Edgar has a great single, and he transitions excellently to the high crotch, which he favors against taller fighters, and is coincidentally one of the take downs Bermudez landed on Max.

The fact that Max was a few inches taller than Aldo gave Jose fits and Jose even mentioned it.

Frankie has far more experience than Aldo when it comes to facing bigger fighters—He's more adjusted to having to close the distance.

Last edited:
Yes, I know that Max has improved immeasurably, but that doesn't changed the fact that the last Div I wrestler he faced took him down four times and won a closely contested fight. It's also worth noting that Dennis Bermudez is similar in size to Edgar and he still closed the distance and got Max down—but yes, MAx has improved, but at the same time, Bermudez is no Frankie Edgar.

Also, Conor and Andre fili took Max down multiple times as well after that bermudez fight.

Summary: I'm not convinced that Max has improved his TDD enough yet to stop someone like Edgar.

That's actually a very good point, surprised people don't talk about it more often. He also got outwrestled by Pillowfists McGregory ffs <Lmaoo>

Still, I think he's too big with too good boxing for Edgar, and should give poor little Frankie a beating.

Despite being Div III wrestler, Lamas has always shown great, dominant takedown technique. Not many weren't on their backs when he wanted them to. But Max is one of them.

Don't stick to the college achievements, man. MMA wrestling is the whole different story anyway, it's not something they teach in college .

I like Lamas a lot and think he's critically underrated around here, but his best take downs come from the clinch—Edgar has more variety with his takedowns in general, and more variety in his set ups to takedowns, which ties back to your last sentence.

Other than size, I can't think of a damn thing that Lamas does better than Edgar...Maybe kicking.

Really? I was always under the impression that UFC wanted none of Frankie in regards to Connie.

if you're conor whats scarier, frankie or khabib?

there's your answer

That's actually a very good point, surprised people don't talk about it more often. He also got outwrestled by Pillowfists McGregory ffs <Lmaoo>

Still, I think he's too big with too good boxing for Edgar, and should give poor little Frankie a beating.

This is a huge factor. If Edgar was also 5'11 and 170lb ish like Max (max actually might be heavier than that), then I'd favor Edgar without a second thought. It's because of max's size advantage and how well he uses his length that I have this fight pretty damn even.

I like Lamas a lot and think he's critically underrated around here, but his best take downs come from the clinch—Edgar has more variety with his takedowns in general, and more variety in his set ups to takedowns, which ties back to your last sentence.

Other than size, I can't think of a damn thing that Lamas does better than Edgar...Maybe kicking.

That's simply incorrect.
Lamas can stand with you and suddenly go for double, he changes levels in the pocket, he switched single-double-single many times.
His competition has always been tough - defensive wrestling wise as well.

Now don't get me wrong - Edgar's wrestling is better.
But it's not your topic

That's simply incorrect.
Lamas can stand with you and suddenly go for double, he changes levels in the pocket, he switched single-double-single many times.
His competition has always been tough - defensive wrestling wise as well.

Now don't get me wrong - Edgar's wrestling is better.
But it's not your topic

You might be right. It's been a while since I've gone through lamas' fights, and in his recent fights he hasn't shown off much wrestling (other than the sanchez fight, which was a lot against the cage). Doesn't really matter in this case, though. Lamas' was a good test for Max, but again, Frankie is different.

You might be right. It's been a while since I've gone through lamas' fights. Doesn't really matter in this case, though. Lamas' was a good test for Max, but again, Frankie is different.

Yeah, but your topic was not about Edgar. Your topic was about "Div I is the measure".

Nope.
Frankie is.
Div I, II, III is not a factor.

frankie is 36 now thou, its old as fuck for an athlete , especially in lower divisions

your athletic prime is 27 to 29 years old
Bas always said he felt 33 was his prime.

The Holloway/Bermudez decision is one of the worst robberies ever.

I've rewatched it so many times and cannot conceivably fathom how Dennis won

Frankie was a D-1 wrestler like 20 years ago. He was a coach at Rutgers like 10 years ago. I hate to be the guy to bet against Frankie but he's old and coming off an injury. Probably like 20 of them. Vegas sees it my way. Holloway -225. Holloway UD or late TKO. And I don't even like Holloway I just predict this shit with scary accuracy.

I like Edgar in this fight tbh. Max is a killer, but Frankie is that dog that just won’t quit the fight and he has the tools to do it.

if you're conor whats scarier, frankie or khabib?

there's your answer
And who is scarier, Holloway or Khabib? Why does Edgar have to win for him to move down?

My boy is old as shit, but he's gonna do everything in his power to win this fight.
Frankie SMASH!

Back