Hockey Fans Thrown Out for "Racism"

You don't get the context. It was meant to make him feel unwelcome playing hockey - and that he should be playing basketball instead.

And? That's racist how? It's an insult towards basketball and basketball is a sport that a lot of black people play, but it's not really a direct insult towards the black race.

I would have been OK with him pulling Domi and dummying the guys.

Are you projecting your being offended onto me now? I'm sitting here having a drink and rolling a fatty. You're the one bitching and moaning about words lol. It's so easy to get people like you upset.

question: I posted a pic from my HS YB football team recently

in it, I am nicknamed (literally) 'pretty good moves for a white boy'. It says 'white boy' seriously, in print, in the official HS year book page for the football team
does anyone have a problem w/ that? the bigotry of low expectations being formally printed in an official school document?

I don't, I thought it was funny, it's just odd how that's never a two way street. I.e. Notre Dame and it's drunken leprechaun mascot, nobody cares.

You seem very offended, kid.

If this was real life...I wouldn't need a gun...I will besmirch you with my mind and body...But then again Im not a pussy who resorts to guns ASAP.

Look man, Racism against white exist...it's ok...Don't let your SJW hatred cloud your logic.
See my post above..I'm feeling so right I forgot to reply to you friend.

1) Fuck 'em.
2) Private entity (Blackhawks, NHL, United Center) well within their rights.
3) Fuck 'em.

See my post above..I'm feeling so right I forgot to reply to you friend.

So mad, that you forgot to hit reply...Damn, it's ok, ill leave you alone.

Sorry for invading your safe space, kid.

You're still lost. Here, enlighten yourself to what the words you're using mean:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaxploitation

<Huh2>

I wouldn't have brought it up if I didn't know what the hell it meant lmfao. It's a portmanteau of "black" and "exploitation", and I even alluded to that in the post where I supposedly "misused" the term according to you.

So tell me Mick almighty, where was the term misused? I'm sure in your high and mighty lecturing on cinematic terms you actually read the post I made instead of acting like you "got" me and making an ass of yourself (further).

Right?

Let me preface this and say that I think they should have been thrown out 100% and I consider it racist. Wondering what you all think?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/sports/hockey/fans-barred-blackhawks-smith-pelly.html

"Smith-Pelly was sitting in the penalty box in the third period of Saturday night’s 7-1 loss to Chicago when the fans yelled “basketball, basketball, basketball” toward the winger, who is black. An off-ice official sitting next to Smith-Pelly notified United Center security, and the fans were promptly ejected."

The fans have since been banned from the United Center and all Blackhawks games in the future.

The majority of people agree this is racist and the punishment fit the crime, however there are still many who think it is too far to throw the fans out and punish them for only saying words.

Thoughts?

No issues for me...

In fact, I'd be 100% in favor of more fans being thrown out for being obnoxious assholes.

So mad, that you forgot to hit reply...Damn, it's ok, ill leave you alone.

Sorry for invading your safe space, kid.
Haha, your a fun one. The only way it would be more fun is if you had any wit at all. I find your posts bland and boring while trying as hard as you can to insult me using the same insult in all your posts. Hell, I'm drunk and high and still out wit you. That's pretty sad actually.

BASKETBALL! BASKETBALL!
Does that get you going?

Not on principle, but in my experience, activity like that usually causes an immediate shitstorm of escalation and greatly heightens the potential for mob violence. Even if that is avoided people are usually wound up, and that results in vandalism on the way out of the immediate area.

If you're a business that's the last thing you want. This is what you're trying to avoid. This isn't the Constitution, so I afford business owners leeway, but my concern is always with opening the door to bad precedent for the other side to exploit this unsound foundation.

What happens if playing to the crowd as a business owner means catering to more racist environments? What happens when you're in small towns that are heavily black or heavily white where the community of the aggrieved isn't as profitable as the community of the aggressor?

This is why it's so essential to understand that merely taking offense to something doesn't inherently assign value to the source of that perceived offense. Just as their is mob justice I have noticed there is a mob victimization mentality. Neither is healthy; the common denominator is the zealous belief of those in the mob that they hold moral authority by virtue of their numbers and cohesion. Of course this isn't true.

This isn't the law. We're speaking to an unwritten cultural morality of civic conduct, here. Specifics rule.

Not on principle... I honestly didn't think you would say that. Making those kind of gestures to a black person is deeply degrading and dehumanizing and for you to think it isn't explicitly racist is confusing to say the least.

Why is it that I have absolutely no fear of any encounter between me and people of other races? You seem to confuse being decent with being scared.

I mentioned this in another thread. Some people seem to confuse being a decent human being with being politically correct.
Indecency is one thing. Are they rude, obnoxious? Sure. I'm not into turning them into the new face of the KKK. This shit is ridiculous. Time for society to grow up. I'm tired of fake standards and fake outrage.

Indecency is one thing. Are they rude, obnoxious? Sure. I'm not into turning them into the new face of the KKK. This shit is ridiculous. Time for society to grow up. I'm tired of fake standards and fake outrage.

Nobody is doing that.

And? That's racist how? It's an insult towards basketball and basketball is a sport that a lot of black people play, but it's not really a direct insult towards the black race.

Making someone feel unwelcome because of their race? Hello?

question: I posted a pic from my HS YB football team recently

in it, I am nicknamed (literally) 'pretty good moves for a white boy'. It says 'white boy' seriously, in print, in the official HS year book page for the football team
does anyone have a problem w/ that? the bigotry of low expectations being formally printed in an official school document?

I don't, I thought it was funny, it's just odd how that's never a two way street. I.e. Notre Dame and it's drunken leprechaun mascot, nobody cares.

I've been called "Whitey" and "Cracker" a lot even though I'm pretty dark myself. I don't take offence to it either, I think it's because my ethnic group were never slaves, second class citizens or marginalized in this country. No other group has really looked down on me for being white either, overall being white has helped me throughout most of my life.

If it makes the guy uncomfortable may be he should go play basketball where hell be more comfortable

Haha, your a fun one. The only way it would be more fun is if you had any wit at all. I find your posts bland and boring while trying as hard as you can to insult me using the same insult in all your posts. Hell, I'm drunk and high and still out wit you. That's pretty sad actually.

BASKETBALL! BASKETBALL!
Does that get you going
?

Context bro, context. Enjoy your high, I love sweet greens and a sip of.......Sherdogging high and/or drunk is pretty standard I assume.

I've been called "Whitey" and "Cracker" a lot even though I'm pretty dark myself. I don't take offence to it either, I think it's because my ethnic group were never slaves, second class citizens or marginalized in this country. No other group has really looked down on me for being white either, overall being white has helped me throughout most of my life.
racism doesn't have a power component despite what SJWs want people to believe, and many groups of whites were marginalized upon originally coming here

so while that explains why we don't care when it happens, it doesn't explain why everyone else lets it slide also

Your free speech protects you from the government, not from being thrown out of a privately owned business. So this is not a free speech issue, it is a decency issue and a question of how much a decency we should expect from people at public events.

Comedians can make any offensive joke that they want, there is no line at all, but that is because they have the approval of the ownership where they are performing and the audience can make the decision not to come or to leave whenever they want.

I don't think it should be difficult for us to use good judgment regarding where and when to be inappropriate. I may make "offensive" jokes or comments in the appropriate setting, as I assume almost everyone does. But if I'm at the grocery store, I feel a responsibility to my community to be decent.

Once again I agree with you on decency issues and appropriate settings and yes that was a private venue so they can refuse service but the fact that the main stream media is carrying the story because its a black white divisive issue. Also there are people in this thread getting offended over comments that you hear in any high school gymnasium.

Back