Hockey Fans Thrown Out for "Racism"

I think one line that's become obvious is targeting a person in a historically oppressed community about that fact. It makes it so much more personal when someone insults a part of your identity that others have looked down on you for.

Not sure what you mean, I'm sorry if its going over my head. Please explain

Once again I agree with you on decency issues and appropriate settings and yes that was a private venue so they can refuse service but the fact that the main stream media is carrying the story because its a black white divisive issue. Also there are people in this thread getting offended over comments that you hear in any high school gymnasium.

I have not turned on the mainstream media today. I was at work, and now I'm watching a movie. So I can't really comment on how the media is covering it.

What would you hear in a high school gymnasium that is offending people in this thread?

Sure. Do you think that's ever happened? Do you think that would make sense as an insult? Why not?

Of course its happened and yes it does make sense if it was a tall gangly kid playing football, don't be naive.

racism doesn't have a power component despite what SJWs want people to believe, and many groups of whites were marginalized upon originally coming here

so while that explains why we don't care when it happens, it doesn't explain why everyone else lets it slide also

Racism isn't some binary mathematical equation, it's nuanced, and context is a big part of it. Why don't you think power plays any part in it?

I have not turned on the mainstream media today. I was at work, and now I'm watching a movie. So I can't really comment on how the media is covering it.

What would you hear in a high school gymnasium that is offending people in this thread?

Sure but you are posting in a thread that is linking a story from MSM. An insult the equivalent of basketball as stated in this story.

You don't get the context. It was meant to make him feel unwelcome playing hockey - and that he should be playing basketball instead.
See, this runs into the precise caveat I was forewarning, earlier.

While I don't think there's an racial coincidence to the term I read it as little more than hecklers reaching for the lowest hanging fruit. "Go play baskeball, but blacks can't play hockey." In other words, it was the most obnoxious way for them to tell him he sucks (even if he doesn't...fans chide all-stars on opposing teams).

Racism isn't some binary mathematical equation, it's nuanced, and context is a big part of it. Why don't you think power plays any part in it?
I didn't say it didn't play a part, but that would generally be systemic racism and it certainly isn't REQUIRED

or else any minority in any country could just say whatever they want w/ no repercussions and that's clearly (well ideally) not the case

Sure but you are posting in a thread that is linking a story from MSM. An insult the equivalent of basketball as stated in this story.

If you made a racial insult at one of my high school's basketball games you would probably get knocked out. Which would have been hilarious, to see one of these cowards actually have to answer for their lame ass troll attempt.

The media definitely makes things overly dramatic, but that is not just regarding race issues. They do that with everything, it is how they get ratings. They managed to convince people Ebola was coming to get them without a single American contracting the damn disease.

See, this runs into the precise caveat I was forewarning, earlier.

While I don't think there's an racial coincidence to the term I read it as little more than hecklers reaching for the lowest hanging fruit. "Go play baskeball, but blacks can't play hockey." In other words, it was the most obnoxious way for them to tell him he sucks (even if he doesn't...fans chide all-stars on opposing teams).

Racist hecklers telling him he sucks for being black - for sure. Agreed.

Of course its happened and yes it does make sense if it was a tall gangly kid playing football, don't be naive.

Sure it does. Devante Smith-Pelly is 6 ft even. Wonder what reason they may have been yelling "basketball" at him?

Context bro, context. Enjoy your high, I love sweet greens and a sip of.......Sherdogging high and/or drunk is pretty standard I assume.
Lol I hear ya bud. You seem like a pretty rational/maybe possibly cool person. I get on Sherdog for fun man I have enough serious shit going on in real life that I'm really not too concerned with an anonymous persona on a karate forum haha. With that said, sometimes it's fun just fucking with some of you. It is rather fun going back and forth with some clever and some not so clever folks, isn't it?

Not sure what you mean, I'm sorry if its going over my head. Please explain

Things like race, religion, ethnicity are things that form your identity, basically who you are and what defines you. That alone can (but not always) make them sensitive topics. Now when a part of your identity like race has held you back and people have looked down at you for it, that can exacerbate the sensitivity of it for you.

Making someone feel unwelcome because of their race? Hello?

That's stretching things quite a bit. They were basically telling him to bugger off and play another sport, and since basketball is a sport consisting of mostly black people, they yelled "basketball" at him as a joke. I didn't take it as the reason they want him gone in the first place is because he's black.

If you made a racial insult at one of my high school's basketball games you would probably get knocked out. Which would have been hilarious, to see one of these cowards actually have to answer for their lame ass troll attempt.

The media definitely makes things overly dramatic, but that is not just regarding race issues. They do that with everything, it is how they get ratings. They managed to convince people Ebola was coming to get them without a single American contracting the damn disease.

Agreed with everything you said, I think we are on nearly the same page and yes my high school had many issues with fights over comments made.

That's stretching things quite a bit. They were basically telling him to bugger off and play another sport, and since basketball is a sport consisting of mostly black people, they yelled "basketball" at him as a joke. I didn't take it as the reason they want him gone in the first place is because he's black.

Are you being serious?

Please tell me this is a joke.

<Huh2>

I didn't say it didn't play a part, but that would generally be systemic racism and it certainly isn't REQUIRED

or else any minority in any country could just say whatever they want w/ no repercussions and that's clearly (well ideally) not the case

You did say it? or was this just phrased incorrectly:

"racism doesn't have a power component despite what SJWs want people to believe"

Well if it plays a part than that explains why a lot of white people and society in general don't take it a seriously as minority racism, which can be a problem as well.

Things like race, religion, ethnicity are things that form your identity, basically who you are and what defines you. That alone can (but not always) make them sensitive topics. Now when a part of your identity like race has held you back and people have looked down at you for it, that can exacerbate the sensitivity of it for you.

Agreed and this is why identity politics are so effective but as people together we need to see through that and not be hateful of each other because of these categories. The sensitivity in the world needs to go because humans will never move forward while still focusing on things like that and letting preselected labels define them.

Lol I hear ya bud. You seem like a pretty rational/maybe possibly cool person. I get on Sherdog for fun man I have enough serious shit going on in real life that I'm really not too concerned with an anonymous persona on a karate forum haha. With that said, sometimes it's fun just fucking with some of you. It is rather fun going back and forth with some clever and some not so clever folks, isn't it?

It is indeed. Enjoy your night. I will call you on bullshit though.

Back