The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)

G

Guestx

I just finished rewatching it for the first time in probably 15 years and, I have to say, it's just an incredible movie. Truly great.

I first read the book in high school and was blown away by it. I loved it enough that I later read The Three Musketeers just to explore more of Dumas' work.

Jim Caviezel--an underrated actor whose career should've reached greater heights--is absolutely perfect as Edmond Dantes. And Guy Pearce's turn as the crazed, psychopathic Mondego literally could not be better.

The movie has everything: An intelligent story, adventure, a hidden treasure, sword fights, sweet revenge, and interesting twists that you would not see coming if you weren't familiar with the book.

My only complaint is regarding something that could not be avoided: Compared to the book, the story feels rushed. For that reason, I suspect that perhaps the perfect form for an adaptation would a three-part miniseries that unfolds gradually. But if you're going to compress the story down into just over two hours, I imagine this is about the best way to do it.

Anyone else agree that this movie kicks ass?

It's certainly a good film. I think the stuff with Luis Guzman and the pirates got a little cartoonish at times, but all in all I'd give it a solid thumbs up. The moment where The Count makes his grand entrance, looks down and simply says "greetings" is great.

Why all the hubbub? I always travel around by hot air balloon, bitches.

Enters thread.

Looks if the "greetings" scene has been mentioned yet.

Fuck.

Great adventure film though.

The movie is a joke compared to the book, but like you said it's the best they could do for a 2 hour movie of the greatest serial ever written.

One of my favorites.

And also really liked the movie Frequency with him in it as well.

monte_feature-e1395771341185.jpg

giphy.gif

Absolutely awesome movie. Real crowd pleaser.

I remember my friends and I went to see Collateral Damage with Ahhhnold but the showing was sold out. Instead, we went to see Count of Monte Cristo. None of us had read the classic book and we had basically no expectations for the movie and it blew us all away. Definitely one of my favorite films of the first few years of the 2000s.

One of the few roles of Caviezel where he isn't playing Jesus, or an Apostle

Great film.

Am currently reading the novel.

1300 pages long, so will report back at Christmas with thoughts.

Yes, this is one of my absolute favorite movies. If you like it, you will probably like Sleepers as well. It’s another story about revenge. Those are my favorite.

This book should the HBO treatment. They should have a season each year doing a classic novel in 8-10 episodes. It cannot be done justice in a 2-3 hour movie.

Not watched it since the original release, remember it being reasonably enjoyable but not much else beyond the well known plot.

I always thought Guy Pearce as Mondego was one of the best/worst antagonists in film history. Literally not one redeemable feature.

When he found out Albert wasn't his son "He always was disappointing." Cold as fuck.

I always thought Guy Pearce as Mondego was one of the best/worst antagonists in film history. Literally not one redeemable feature.

When he found out Albert wasn't his son "Well you always were a disappointment." Cold as fuck.
I thought he was sympathetic in his jealousy of Edmond. For me it added the dimension of putting on the affect to hide an inner dearth.

I just finished rewatching it for the first time in probably 15 years and, I have to say, it's just an incredible movie. Truly great.

I first read the book in high school and was blown away by it. I loved it enough that I later read The Three Musketeers just to explore more of Dumas' work.

Jim Caviezel--an underrated actor whose career should've reached greater heights--is absolutely perfect as Edmond Dantes. And Guy Pearce's turn as the crazed, psychopathic Mondego literally could not be better.

The movie has everything: An intelligent story, adventure, a hidden treasure, sword fights, sweet revenge, and interesting twists that you would not see coming if you weren't familiar with the book.

My only complaint is regarding something that could not be avoided: Compared to the book, the story feels rushed. For that reason, I suspect that perhaps the perfect form for an adaptation would a three-part miniseries that unfolds gradually. But if you're going to compress the story down into just over two hours, I imagine this is about the best way to do it.

Anyone else agree that this movie kicks ass?

A young Henry Cavill is in this movie as well.

Yes. Superman

"To my everlasting shame, I did."

Own it on DVD. Movie is incredible.

Last edited:
Yeah its fantastic. I'm a huge lover of Dumas works so anything done at least respectably well from his works gets my attention

Also dagmara dominczyk was a quite the beauty.

MV5BMTIzOTMzMTg5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODIzMDEz._V1_UY317_CR20,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Back