The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)

It's a great book first and foremost.

The movie really good. Cavizel was awesome. Guy Pierce was dope. It was definitely one of my favorite movies when I was in high school.

Another thing I liked:

As far as I can tell, no CGI. Everything looked practical, including lots of beautiful on-location photography.

It's amazing that this film's budget was only $35 million. Even adjusting for inflation, that's not a whole lot for a movie like this.

One of my favorites.

And also really liked the movie Frequency with him in it as well.

He's a very underrated actor. I suspect the reason he hasn't been more successful is because he's open about his Christian beliefs and Hollywood doesn't like that shit. It's like they saw him do Passion of the Christ and blacklisted him or something.

Still, he's managed to have a pretty good career, relatively speaking. He at least had a long-running, successful TV show in recent years.

I remember watching it shortly after finishing the novel and finding it to be a putrid adaptation and not very enjoyable otherwise.

Yeah its fantastic. I'm a huge lover of Dumas works so anything done at least respectably well from his works gets my attention

Also dagmara dominczyk was a quite the beauty.

MV5BMTIzOTMzMTg5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODIzMDEz._V1_UY317_CR20,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

After seeing her in Monte Cristo, she seems like the kind of actress whose name we should know today.

great film, gets kinda draggy in points and directing wise it's a little bland. but the acting is pure fucking gold, it's like they were all giving 110% on this one.

"To my everlasting shame, I did."

Own it on DVD. Movie is incredible.

All the stuff with the priest was cool.

I remember when I first read the book in high school that I was fascinated with the whole idea of this uneducated guy getting a comprehensive education in prison and then coming out a totally different man. There was just something about this idea of, essentially, a man reforming himself with nothing more than a stack of books that I found very compelling.

How did the priest get books in his cell anyway though? That's one question I always had. I guess they just let him have them.

Great, great movie. I hadn't read the book until a couple years ago, and they are just so completely different from each other for obvious reasons. You couldn't do that book justice in 4 hours let alone 2.5 or whatever this movie was....it needs a full season to tell the story.

My favourite scene in the movie is where his man goes to buy that huge estate and the rich fucker tells him "I shall have you horsewhipped!" Always makes me crack up.

My favourite scene in the movie is where his man goes to buy that huge estate and the rich fucker tells him "I shall have you horsewhipped!" Always makes me crack up.

I chuckled at that too actually. It's not even just the line, but the way the line is delivered.

This book should the HBO treatment. They should have a season each year doing a classic novel in 8-10 episodes. It cannot be done justice in a 2-3 hour movie.

That’s a great idea.

You know what else would have been great for HBO to do? An X Men cartoon in the same way they did Spawn - dark, gritty - like the comic book.

I remember really enjoying the movie, but I also never read the book. Gonna try to hunt it down on Amazon for like $5.

Love that movie.

cant believe superman is in it.

jesus and superman you cant go wrong

It's certainly a good film. I think the stuff with Luis Guzman and the pirates got a little cartoonish at times, but all in all I'd give it a solid thumbs up. The moment where The Count makes his grand entrance, looks down and simply says "greetings" is great.

Why all the hubbub? I always travel around by hot air balloon, bitches.
I loved everything about the movie except Luis Guzman. I thought he was woefully miscast.

I loved everything about the movie except Luis Guzman. I thought he was woefully miscast.

I like Luis Guzman in the vast majority of what he does, but I think someone like Robert Davi or Oded Fehr would have kept the tone of those scenes a little darker and more in line with the rest of the movie.

I just finished rewatching it for the first time in probably 15 years and, I have to say, it's just an incredible movie. Truly great.

I first read the book in high school and was blown away by it. I loved it enough that I later read The Three Musketeers just to explore more of Dumas' work.

Jim Caviezel--an underrated actor whose career should've reached greater heights--is absolutely perfect as Edmond Dantes. And Guy Pearce's turn as the crazed, psychopathic Mondego literally could not be better.

The movie has everything: An intelligent story, adventure, a hidden treasure, sword fights, sweet revenge, and interesting twists that you would not see coming if you weren't familiar with the book.

My only complaint is regarding something that could not be avoided: Compared to the book, the story feels rushed. For that reason, I suspect that perhaps the perfect form for an adaptation would a three-part miniseries that unfolds gradually. But if you're going to compress the story down into just over two hours, I imagine this is about the best way to do it.

Anyone else agree that this movie kicks ass?

I like this movie a lot. And will watch it if it is scheduled for the day. Guzman was a the sleeper hit of the movie.

Really good and entertaining movie, 8/10.

I like Luis Guzman in the vast majority of what he does, but I think someone like Robert Davi or Oded Fehr would have kept the tone of those scenes a little darker and more in line with the rest of the movie.
Exactly.

I like him too, but his accent and delivery were jarring.

Otherwise, a great movie.

I just finished rewatching it for the first time in probably 15 years and, I have to say, it's just an incredible movie. Truly great.

I first read the book in high school and was blown away by it. I loved it enough that I later read The Three Musketeers just to explore more of Dumas' work.

Jim Caviezel--an underrated actor whose career should've reached greater heights--is absolutely perfect as Edmond Dantes. And Guy Pearce's turn as the crazed, psychopathic Mondego literally could not be better.

The movie has everything: An intelligent story, adventure, a hidden treasure, sword fights, sweet revenge, and interesting twists that you would not see coming if you weren't familiar with the book.

My only complaint is regarding something that could not be avoided: Compared to the book, the story feels rushed. For that reason, I suspect that perhaps the perfect form for an adaptation would a three-part miniseries that unfolds gradually. But if you're going to compress the story down into just over two hours, I imagine this is about the best way to do it.

Anyone else agree that this movie kicks ass?

This is a One of my Favorite Guilty Pleasures. There are flaws but it is very good replay value .

Back