since ben askren talks alot of s---- about ufc fighters lately, watch this fight

Askren didn't just look bad in the Santos fight. He's had bad stretches in a number of fights, including this one:

I mean, his wrestling always looks spectacular, but he looks like an absolute bum standing, especially if he stops walking forward, which he eventually does against Aleksakhin.

His horrible mummy defense, inability to see most punches coming, to deal with low kicks, to deal with fighters who can move and angle out as they throw - all this spells disaster at the highest levels.

Ben Askren always reminded me of Jake Shields when everyone thought he was amazing and could potentially beat GSP. .
Jake Shields has nowhere near the takedown ability of Askren(but Shields has a bit of standup). I don't think he beats GSP though.

Ben Askren always reminded me of Jake Shields when everyone thought he was amazing and could potentially beat GSP. 2 Fights into the UFC he gets a title shot and loses badly, then goes on to lose several other fights.

I guess it's easy to say you're the best when you've never actually fought the best.
Shields won 2 rounds in that fight, and stopped GSP's winning streak of 33 consecutive rounds.

Askren is admittedly as much to blame for his non-UFC career as petty Dana...though we have no idea what went on in private before Askren started shit-talking Dana.

call him a poor self-promoter, bad businessman, conservative fighter...whatever. I just don't see how any of that criticism makes him an "overrated joke", as TS is trying to claim.

Askren's wrestling is legit af, and his stated intention is to not get hit. I'm not surprised that upsets people...look at the hate the GOAT GSP gets around here. Askren is a smart guy...not some short-sighted idiot like Gaethje, who isn't even 30 and sounds like he's been hit WAY too many times already.

it's probably also silly to expect Askren to NOT talk himself up...what's he supposed to do, sit there quietly and say, 'well, I think I might do well in the UFC, but I really don't know...I'm pretty good, but those guys are really tough!' - lol

I think people are annoyed with his shit talking and acting like any fight he's in is a superfight. I personally would have liked to see him in the UFC, but not anymore. that boat sailed and i'm happier to see him get blackballed. He'll always be left to wonder what could have been

He did but via eye pokes, GSP was half blind in that fight

so you cherry picked one example to support your claim that Askren is an 'overrated joke', despite his overall record of accomplishments, and the respect that he has in MMA and wrestling circles from his peers?

good luck with that.
His "overall record of accomplishments" is that he has beaten ZERO elite fighters.

He'll always be left to wonder what could have been
No, we'll be left to wonder what could have been.
I'm quite sure he's happy being retired rich, undefeated and without eating a solid punch to the head.

cant help after bellator wouldn't resign him that the ufc didn't want him.

I'm not sure we know the whole story there. He kept asking to be let go and I'm not totally sure why they did let him go. If I had to guess, it was because he was boring and a non draw and not good for the division. But I'm not sure if they told him he needed to be more entertaining before dumping him.

Ben Askren always reminded me of Jake Shields when everyone thought he was amazing and could potentially beat GSP. 2 Fights into the UFC he gets a title shot and loses badly, then goes on to lose several other fights.

I guess it's easy to say you're the best when you've never actually fought the best.
Shields has done an awful lot more than Askren though, it's not really a fair comparison. Shields beat Maia, Dan Henderson, Woodley, Condit.

A better comparison in my opinion is Antonio McKee. He spent his whole career wrestling bums in low-level MMA and talking shit. People campaigned for him to get signed by the UFC so they signed him, he lost to Jakob Volkmann and they cut him straight away.

A scorecard with two 48-47's is losing badly?

he wasnt able to take down this "no name" so the "incredible" ben askren went to a nasty eye poke trap to take him down because of his frustration. luis santos defensive wrestling frustrated ben askren and askren went to a nasty eye poke with his thumb.... ben askren literally lost this fight, he looked very bad, but they made it a no contest after that eye poke... ben askren refused a rematch.

that guy is a overrated joke himself that tries to talk himself bigger than he is.

Askren is a joke. Not only did he never fight in the UFC, he left Bellator when they were getting better to go fight in BumFC

he wasnt able to take down this "no name" so the "incredible" ben askren went to a nasty eye poke trap to take him down because of his frustration. luis santos defensive wrestling frustrated ben askren and askren went to a nasty eye poke with his thumb.... ben askren literally lost this fight, he looked very bad, but they made it a no contest after that eye poke... ben askren refused a rematch.

that guy is a overrated joke himself that tries to talk himself bigger than he is.

I'd love to have seen Askren take on Palhares, Maia or WW Hector Lombard about 5 years ago (when he was the Bellator king). I think those would all be very tough stylistic opponents for him.

I just got dumber from reading this shit

Shields won 2 rounds in that fight, and stopped GSP's winning streak of 33 consecutive rounds.

After one of the most the most blatant eye pokes in UFC history. GSP was winning decisively before that.

I think people are annoyed with his shit talking and acting like any fight he's in is a superfight. I personally would have liked to see him in the UFC, but not anymore. that boat sailed and i'm happier to see him get blackballed. He'll always be left to wonder what could have been

Yeah, and if he really wanted to fight GSP, they should've done it when it was closer to prime vs prime. Post-ACL injury GSP's wrestling is not the same.

Lima and Koreshkov aren't elite? Or are they "cans" because they're in Bellator?

They aren't "cans" but (a) both were greener back then, especially Koreshkov and (b) both were favorable stylistic opponents (relatively weak wrestling).

Jay Hieron, 0-4 in the UFC and finished by GSP and Woodley, gave Askren about all he could handle due to his wrestling.

Shields enterted the Ufc after a win over Dan Henderson....I think that’s fighting the best

Back