Cal Professor who went on Barbara Bush 'racist' rant may not be saved by tenure, could lose job

Guilty as charged
<Fedor23>
I remember going on a rant about fat people on Facebook and somehow a friend of a friend of a friend saw it cause my posts were set to public then accused me of body shaming till one of my buddies was like:
"He's, um... talking about himself"

Well, both of the Bush’s policies resulted in the deaths of millions of people.

Not sure you can hold her responsible for that but her husband and son were terrible people.

To be fair....during George H Bush term/the Gulf War.

25k-50k Iraqis killed
4200 Kuwaiti killed
292 coalition killed

I remember going on a rant about fat people on Facebook and somehow a friend of a friend of a friend saw it cause my posts were set to public then accused me of body shaming till one of my buddies was like:
"He's, um... talking about himself"
Lol and that is why i only use Facebook for remembering birthdays and keeping in touch with far away friends and family via private message.
I would have no friends if i actually posted my unfiltered thoughts

Why do we have to come up with retarded academic reasons to shit on silly white girls who belly dance? Can't we just call them cheesy and lame? Also, shut up G Willow Wilson.

Her main issue was that they were white. So the retarded academic reasons really just provided cover for overt racism.

It's not just Jarrar. Humanities departments in most American universities are dens of racism.

Lol and that is why i only use Facebook for remembering birthdays and keeping in touch with far away friends and family via private message.
I would have no friends if i actually posted my unfiltered thoughts
I've stopped unless it involves talking about sports. Then it's too many consistent posts of Bruins playoff vids and GODGERS highlights to annoy the three friends I have that are Cowboy fans.

giphy.gif

I've never seen a principled (as opposed to practical--see Nix's post above) defense of free speech from the right here.

Let's be honest.... the left started the whole call your employer and force them to fire you trend. This started with the advancement of social media.

Republicans and can either play by the same rules or get run over

I've stopped unless it involves talking about sports. Then it's too many consistent posts of Bruins playoff vids and GODGERS highlights to annoy the three friends I have that are Cowboy fans.
I've seen cases like you mentioned on my friend's pages, where you're just saying something that you didn't even mean to be offensive.
And then a friend of a friend of a friend is calling them out for something, and it turns into a 20 reply+ War room style debate.
If i ever start making comments on Facebook again, it'll be purely sports and entertainment
#Go Pats
<Moves>

Supposedly she Tweeted out a phone number for a suicide hotline as her own. The suicide hotline then got bombarded with people calling it. She can say whatever she wants, but if the phone number thing is true she should be fired for that.

Let's be honest.... the left started the whole call your employer and force them to fire you trend. This started with the advancement of social media.

Republicans and can either play by the same rules or get run over

First, no. "The left" didn't start anything like that. The left is far more supportive of labor rights, almost by definition. I've pointed this out before, by for all the defense of Damore from the right and all the attacks from the left, the matter came down to workers vs. owners, and the right sided with owners, while a Democratic NLRB would have sided with the worker.

http://mattbruenig.com/2018/02/16/trump-nlrb-smashed-google-guy/

And your last sentence shows what's wrong with politics in America. You have people incorrectly thinking that other people do something and then using that as justification to do worse things. It leads to a never-ending downward spiral in behavior. Wouldn't shock me to see Republicans use the ludicrous Pizzagate CT to justify their next pedophilia scandal.

I've seen cases like you mentioned on my friend's pages, where you're just saying something that you didn't even mean to be offensive.
And then a friend of a friend of a friend is calling them out for something, and it turns into a 20 reply+ War room style debate.
If i ever start making comments on Facebook again, it'll be purely sports and entertainment
#Go Pats
<Moves>
I need Edelman back for fantasy purposes

The only thing here is if she was representing the school in any way and if it was clear she was not I don't support her firing.

She is a stupid cunt but the world is full of them.

glad I went to SDSU and didn't deal w/ these psycho professors at other Cal States

party schools, works every time

Well, both of the Bush’s policies resulted in the deaths of millions of people.

Not sure you can hold her responsible for that but her husband and son were terrible people.

You see the title of this book and think it's absurd. Then you read the entirely of Bugliosi's legal argument and are stunned. I highly recommend it.

515BduefkfL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I expect all of the conservative posters on here to jump to defend her freedom of speach baybay

Interesting scenario where such comments would fall under the freedom of speech, but not free of consequences category. Typically the first consequence is losing your job for saying something profoundly stupid as she did.

The government here though is in fact her employer, so does that mean it is still freedom of speech so long as she isn't simply prosecuted for a crime? Or can there be no consequences whatsoever (such as a firing) because the public employer's hands are completely tied due to being a branch of government as opposed to a private company. Any Sherbro lawyers know if there's been a case precedent of this? @alanb ?

My thoughts are she's royally a cunt, but I guess so long as she doesn't spew this level of crap in her classroom (doubtful) I'd prefer there be no action other than the University condemning the words and making it very clear she does not in the slightest represent the school's views

Good.

I think its about time people start being held accountable for their rants like this.

-------------------------
To be fair....during George H Bush term/the Gulf War.

25k-50k Iraqis killed
4200 Kuwaiti killed
292 coalition killed
Literally millions!

Back