Cal Professor who went on Barbara Bush 'racist' rant may not be saved by tenure, could lose job

<{hughesimpress}>

I don't care about this lady or her comments, or Barbara Bush for that matter, and I don't really feel bad for her. It's no different than someone losing their job for saying on social media that they don't believe in gay marriage or something like that. I don't support any kind of campaign to get someone fired for comments they make on their own time that doesn't have any bearing on their duties, but I understand that "callout culture" has been the paradigm that we all operate under for a while now. Side note, she seems like an absolutely terrible person.

I agree comprehensively.

Deeply mentally ill individual here. Beyond even my vast powers of analysis to determine what someone like this could offer in terms of instruction.

Should be fired, without question.

I get that and the CIA operates under this code 99% of the time. Sometimes you have to take out that strongman who is secretly dissecting women and children or trafficking kids around the world, etc. The problem is that it becomes less understanding the more often the excuse is used. It's now not a matter of doing what they believe is the right thing- it's used so frequently that it's practically become part of the job. This is presenting a lot of issues for us currently and will only get worse without a complete 180 degree reversal.

The problem is that once one president (or government) does something like this, it's hard to argue against the next as they will likely use the classic child retort of "but they did it too!". Governments in general dislike giving up power once they've been granted it, and will never relinquish it willingly. So once a genie has left the bottle is usually game over, except in a few special cases. Using THE BOMB is one good example as no president since Truman, despite having the power to do so, has exercised it as they've seen the aftermath and know that it's a terrible power to wield. But something like blatant killing of civilians in precision strikes? Another day in the oval office now.

Sure, I already said I have no problem with mockery of the superficial in general (and Trudeau in particular). But how far does the notion go that certain cultural phenomenon can only be appreciated if there is significant cultural assimilation beforehand?
I don't know man, I don't have a rubric for it. Its a gut feeling thing. I knew in my gut that Trudeau is a cringey twat when I saw those photos of him in India.

Last edited:
The "free speech absolutists" should be pissed about this though, right?

Funny. I haven't seen it mentioned on Dave Rubin's Youtube channel or Twitter feed.

He's been bitching about his tax dollars being wasted because somebody broke into his rental car for the past 24 hours.

Now that I think about it, I've also never seen Rubin or any of the rest of the free speech crowd get angry about the fact that several professors like Juan Cole have either lost or been denied tenure altogether for criticizing Israel and supporting the BDS movement.

Gee, it's almost like they're only "first amendment warriors" for speech coming from one side of the political spectrum.

If it will make your day I will step up to the plate and say I support peoples right to say crazy offensive things and not getting fired sued or messed with in any way pretty consistently

I defended alex jones yesterday and Ill vouch for this piece of shit today

Lol, to be a conservative you need an education , proper hygiene, dont dye your hair.

When you become a liberal you give most of that up. No more showing. No more deodorant.

There was also a Recent study about how different Democrats and Republicans smell.

The bottom line was Democrats were not big on deodorant.

Deodorant is gross

First, no. "The left" didn't start anything like that. The left is far more supportive of labor rights, almost by definition. I've pointed this out before, by for all the defense of Damore from the right and all the attacks from the left, the matter came down to workers vs. owners, and the right sided with owners, while a Democratic NLRB would have sided with the worker.

http://mattbruenig.com/2018/02/16/trump-nlrb-smashed-google-guy/

And your last sentence shows what's wrong with politics in America. You have people incorrectly thinking that other people do something and then using that as justification to do worse things. It leads to a never-ending downward spiral in behavior. Wouldn't shock me to see Republicans use the ludicrous Pizzagate CT to justify their next pedophilia scandal.

Just because Jack savage doesn't think it is a good policy. Doesn't mean that's how the left works.... for the record you're not the only person on the left are you Jack?

Your lack to even acknowledge this started about 6 to 7 years ago is not surprising.... You don't really want to have a conversation about it. Fine. Have a good day.

giphy.gif

SkinnyIllegalFirebelliedtoad-max-1mb.gif

Just wondering what this guy's name is and what movie this is from.

Just because Jack savage doesn't think it is a good policy. Doesn't mean that's how the left works.... for the record you're not the only person on the left are you Jack?

Your lack to even acknowledge this started about 6 to 7 years ago is not surprising.... You don't really want to have a conversation about it. Fine. Have a good day.

I'm not the only person on the left, no, but I read influential left-leaning writers, I read platforms, I know people, etc. The left of your imagination somehow escapes all of that. It's a few random college students and the occasional weirdo writer. And that is supposed to represent the left more than basically the entire movement.

And who doesn't want to have a conversation about it? Sounds like you don't--that you simply want to tell liberals what they believe and will brook no disagreement about it. Liberals don't get to decide what they believe, apparently--Mark Hunts FIST will tell them, and they should shut up and take it. And what's worse, the imaginary left is a justification for the real right to behave badly.

giphy.gif

I've never seen a principled (as opposed to practical--see Nix's post above) defense of free speech from the right here.
I've offered these defenses many times, and I already defended the lady in this thread.
Let's be honest.... the left started the whole call your employer and force them to fire you trend. This started with the advancement of social media.

Republicans and can either play by the same rules or get run over
You've allowed yourself to become the same despicable version of everything you hate; just like all the SJWs who cry about fascism while using violent speech suppression to combat their political foes.

Two peas in a pod. Like them, you don't believe in anything. Like them, you abide the "any means necessary" mentality when it comes to your team. You have no principles.

giphy.gif

SkinnyIllegalFirebelliedtoad-max-1mb.gif

Just wondering what this guy's name is and what movie this is from.
The Sinful Dwarf (original title: Dværgen) is a 1973 Danish film by Vidal Raski. The screenplay concerns Olaf, who turns women into junkie-prostitutes.

Its a dwarfploitation movie from the 70s

56c8cbb5-2214-4877-82f3-2a4ecdbab37c.jpg

MV5BNWY1YjNkODMtYWExNS00Y2UwLWE3ZGItMjk2ZGEyODc0ZTk2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

The Sinful Dwarf (original title: Dværgen) is a 1973 Danish film by Vidal Raski. The screenplay concerns Olaf, who turns women into junkie-prostitutes.

MV5BNWY1YjNkODMtYWExNS00Y2UwLWE3ZGItMjk2ZGEyODc0ZTk2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Thank you. Torben Bille RIP.

89_800x600.jpg

Her opinion. I don't give a fuck.

Be nice if it went both ways though.

Let's be honest.... the left started the whole call your employer and force them to fire you trend. This started with the advancement of social media.

Republicans and can either play by the same rules or get run over
Nope. Ethics bub.

She definitely shouldnt lose her job over this. I hope the University doesnt cave in to right wing loons who want her fired for using her 1st amendment rights.

Amazing how Republicans are all for the First Amendment unless it is someone saying something they dont like. Colin Kaepernick, this woman. the list goes on.
The first amendment outlines the relationship between citizen and government, not citizen and University. It's embarrassing how people don't understand the laws of which they live under. Did you even try in school? But now all of a sudden you presume to give advice as if you are informed in some significant way? I swear, this country is filled with people that anoint themselves without putting in any work whatsoever.

I feel like I have to watch this movie, but I equally feel like it would be horrendous

The first amendment outlines the relationship between citizen and government, not citizen and University. It's embarrassing how people don't understand the laws of which they live under. Did you even try in school? But now all of a sudden you presume to give advice as if you are informed in some significant way? I swear, this country is filled with people that anoint themselves without putting in any work whatsoever.
She works for a public university(i.e. the government) so there are legitimate 1st amendment questions here. Not saying its necessarily protected speech here but it could be.

She works for a public university(i.e. the government) so there are legitimate 1st amendment questions here. Not saying its necessarily protected speech here but it could be.
State government, not federal government.

Back