General MMA Discussion & Future Lines - March, 2018

^^^ I like Jacare in this one too but the concern is the same thing with "old man Bisping": Is Jacare getting too old? He hasn't taken much damage but he has had a long career and is 38 and I think the odds reflect that. At some point the young guns will (probably) catch him and at that point will it be a quick downward slide for his career? A lot of people were thinking Brunson could do it. How much better is Gastelum?

Kelvin is much better technically than Brunson and has a better chin by far. But he doesn't have anywhere near the stopping power that Derek has.

I think Kelvin's dec line has value and I played it but the very obvious concern is that Jacare just bullies Kelvin to the mat and dominates him like Weidman did. I do think size played a role there, and while it could here too, Jacare isn't quite as big as Chris (I don't think anyway). That plus his age makes me think Kelvin has at least a decent shot at keeping it standing. If he can't, he's probably every bit as screwed or more than he was vs Chris. But if he can stay off the mat I like his chances. Not because Jacare has bad striking, but because I think Kelvin's is more refined and he works behind his jab exceptionally well. Plus his chin is granite so if Jacare does happen to land one of those winning power shots he likes to throw, I think Kelvin can eat it fine.

Think I'll play jacare, and cover with kelvin ko/tko if the odds are decent enough

Interesting.

Jacare hasn't showed cracks in his chin aside from Whit blasting him (and Whitaker can obviously throw heat). Kelvin put away ancient non-trt Vitor and Bisping who had just gotten blasted by GSP. I don't think Kelvin has huge stopping power honestly. I actually like his chances (esp in a 3 rounder) to win a Dec better than to get a KO.

And...dec is +410 and itd is +205. So dec paying double itd right now. No brainer for me.

Interesting.

Jacare hasn't showed cracks in his chin aside from Whit blasting him (and Whitaker can obviously throw heat). Kelvin put away ancient non-trt Vitor and Bisping who had just gotten blasted by GSP. I don't think Kelvin has huge stopping power honestly. I actually like his chances (esp in a 3 rounder) to win a Dec better than to get a KO.

And...dec is +410 and itd is +205. So dec paying double itd right now. No brainer for me.

ye i get you, it depends on the prices i can get at wider release, but I think that for gastelum to be able to win a decision he's going to have to keep it standing the whole time, and I dont think he'll be able to do that. what happens if jacare takes him down could look real similar to when chris did, but jacare probably has an even bigger advantage on the mat. I think it's jacare's age that is worrying me even though he's not really shown that this is a factor in his career yet.
also jacare did get stopped by whittaker who is a pretty small MW like gastelum who has comparable power.

ye i get you, it depends on the prices i can get at wider release, but I think that for gastelum to be able to win a decision he's going to have to keep it standing the whole time, and I dont think he'll be able to do that. what happens if jacare takes him down could look real similar to when chris did, but jacare probably has an even bigger advantage on the mat. I think it's jacare's age that is worrying me even though he's not really shown that this is a factor in his career yet.
also jacare did get stopped by whittaker who is a pretty small MW like gastelum who has comparable power.

Jacare is obviously a more skilled grappler than Chris, but in MMA I'm not so sure Kelvin wouldn't rather have Jacare with top position. Chris incorporates brutal gnp to go with top tier bjj skills (not Jacare level obviously, but sooooooo much better than some people realize--he's really a grappling savant honestly). Plus Chris is just a bigger guy than Jacare. But yeah, either way Kelvin damn sure doesn't want to be on his back vs Jacare. The thing is, with Jacare's age I don't know if he still has that explosion to close the distance and get Kelvin down. And his striking is okay, but not as slick as Kelvin's so using that to close distance to get ahold of Kelvin **might** not work.

And while Whit is a medium to small sized HW, he clearly has way more pop than Kelvin does. Before blasting two really old guys who'd been KO'd multiple times before, Kelvin almost looked pillow fisted. I don't think that's true, but I think he's levels below Bob in terms of power. That said, if Jacare's chin is actually starting to go due to age, Kelvin definitely could stop him.

To me though in using only 5d, it's a no brainer just based on lines. If you can get something where the two lines are a lot closer I can see looking at his KO line. But the difference between itd and dec is insane on 5d. There's no way it's twice as likely that Kelvin finishes than that he wins a 3 rd decision. Not even close.

good grief... I can understand the fight not being 49-46 but claiming she undoubtedly won the fight is a laughable.

wasn't phil baroni having/had a bare knuckle fight?

IDK? I know they got one sanctioned on a Native American reservation or something and that's what led to Wyoming sanctioning it.

Yancy versus Platinum Perry announced

Yancy versus Platinum Perry announced

I really think Perry could be something big if they gave him better matchups and he went to have camp with for example Cordeiro. Now they just give him brawls and he’ll keep brawling til the brain is mushy.

I really think Perry could be something big if they gave him better matchups and he went to have camp with for example Cordeiro. Now they just give him brawls and he’ll keep brawling til the brain is mushy.

IDK. I'm not sure he has the grit that the truly special fighters have. When Jon Jones was coming up, the flashy spinning elbows and the way he tossed people around are what's remembered. But (all the outside stuff aside) what actually made him an all-timer was how he "embraced the grind". No matter how good you are, every fight isn't gonna be a flashy KO or a guy you walk through. Perry got kinda exposed in his last fight imo.

Not saying a better camp might not make a huge difference. And I could be wrong. But Perry kinda reminds me of Phil Baroni back in the day. Looks amazing when he's blasting guys, but is a frontrunner who won't put in the work to round out his game.

IDK. I'm not sure he has the grit that the truly special fighters have. When Jon Jones was coming up, the flashy spinning elbows and the way he tossed people around are what's remembered. But (all the outside stuff aside) what actually made him an all-timer was how he "embraced the grind". No matter how good you are, every fight isn't gonna be a flashy KO or a guy you walk through. Perry got kinda exposed in his last fight imo.

Not saying a better camp might not make a huge difference. And I could be wrong. But Perry kinda reminds me of Phil Baroni back in the day. Looks amazing when he's blasting guys, but is a frontrunner who won't put in the work to round out his game.

Baroni comparison is spot on. Who the standing KO against that Russian Suleov?

I think it's a great idea if nobody posts a damn thing about this fight until lines released, assuming it's signed. Okay, we all in agreement? Cool, thanks.

Couple of lines came out.

They're jumping all over the place a the moment.

did anyone post this one yet?

Back