Kendrick Lamar gets a Pulitzer Prize.

Yet, Morrissey hasn't, despite being a legendary lyricist far above anyone in hip hop.
get-in-loser-were-going-crying-12436741.png

How did Nas ever play it safe? Did you ever listen to Stillmatic? That whole album needs to be wrapped in caution tape. Plus the song Rewind... fuuuuuck.

The first time I listened to Kendrick was in October of last year, and it was a live event. He put on a hell of a show, I really enjoyed it. Congratulations to him on the Pulitzer.

TBH, I meant more in terms of song structure and sound. He went from Illmatic (classic) with beats from Primo, Large Professor and Pete Rock to cookie cutter tracks with obvious samples and from The Trackmasters.

Also, It was Written, I am and Nastradamus were all pretty standard in terms of his approach to songwriting and structure. I stopped going out of my way to check for Nas after those.

Might go and give Stillmatic a go though.

Lets let kendrick lamar win pulitzer so we look hip and not racist

I never got the hype around him, seems the flavor of the year the white progressive record producers push him, he just got lucky they picked him, at least they didnt pick some mumble rapper, they might save that for next year though lol

there are far better rappers in the past 15 years, who cares about his lyrics his music sucks, just give the award to some spoken word poets who also use a similar delivery when i listen to music i need some good tune catchy flow combined with lyrics and best, kendrick has no tunes that people will remember, you have to make it sound good marvin gayes whats going on and mercy mercy me is more profound than kendricks whole album its simple, and sounds good and memorable and has a socio political message of the time. Timeless classics that people will remember

Miguels candles in the sun more profound, better sound thant kendrick lamars fast ranting rap

Sad this song never got heavy rotation or praise

Now if he can just get that bad bitches thing under control.

I must be living in an alternate reality. I thought pulitzer's were for hard hitting investigative journalism and guys like Ernest Hemingway.

Kendrick is fine, but he's biting Outkast's style very, very badly. Everything sounds like he sat down and listened to the entire ATLiens album before he sits down to write and then again before he goes in the booth.

Nas is at least as good lyrically, and a few others in the mainstream, and there are at least a dozen others too when you include backpack hip hop.
He sounds nothing like Outkast. Go listen to some shit you actually understand.

Miguels candles in the sun more profound, better sound thant kendrick lamars fast ranting rap

Sad this song never got heavy rotation or praise

I like Miguel but my man! Half singing generic statements about faith and poverty << anything Kendrick has done.

Tupac should have won a Pulitzer Prize.

Tupac's persona preceded his art. I'm always confused when people mention his name as greatest ever or even one of the greats because he simply wasn't.

Anyone in the rap game who digresses backward into gang culture is doing it wrong.

Bro I love The Smiths as much as the next person, but Robert Smith was a better lyricist in my opinion. In what world does any Smiths album have the cultural impact and masterful writing that TPAB, GKMC, and DAMN have? Kendrick wrote an entire album that can be listened to front to back and then back to front to tell two stories. That's insane.

Pretty sure there are more words in this one song than the entirety of Meat Is Murder and this song is far more tragic than Please Please Please or anything The Smiths have done.

idk bro. I haven't got sound on my work PC so I can't listen (I haven't listened to any KL), but the lyrics to that shit are way overdone. 'Brevity is the soul of wit' and all that. Brevity is one thing that made Morrissey so good. A 12 minute Morrissey song crammed with enough words to start a small religion would be borderline apocalyptic

Back