Jordan Peterson on real time with Bill Maher

Just watched this. What was most striking to me, is how the audience kept laughing when there was no joke. It was wierd.

The audience was filled with morons. They didn't seem to understand what Peterson was actually saying. They kept looking for buzz words to clap and cheer for.
Maher's audience is usually filled with dumbasses that clap and hoot at everything.

"I cannot raise my child properly because of Trump and Climate Change, waaah."

<DisgustingHHH>
You're representing what she said incorrectly. She wasn't hysterical about it when she said it--it was sad half jokingly.
And people need to stop acting like Donald Trump is some sort of normal president. 2 years ago no one would have believed that Donald fucking Trump could be the president of the United States. His last job was doing reality shows, and judging beauty pageants or some shit. It's completely understandable to be in a state of somewhat disbelief still that he actually became the president. Now is certainly a different time than it was in the past.

I like Alex Wagner generally. She is smart and seems like a good person, but she didn't give Peterson a chance from the start. She was immediately triggered, and Peterson didn't even say anything offensive.
On the flip side, Peterson has a natural, off-putting disposition..so I can also understand how he could grate on people. He can be verbose, and he sounds condescending, even when I don't think that is his intent.

There are legitimate criticism one could make regarding Peterson's commentary on Trump supporters. And that maybe he did show a lack of consistency in the need to not be so easily offended, or at the very least didn't explain that well. But this is just spite over the fact that someone with a worldview that doesn't make Seder feel good inside is gaining the exposure he is. This is just pettiness from start to finish. And in any symposium of ideas, is there any doubt that Peterson vs Seder would be a deisel truck running over an passing deer on the road? It's local YMCA boxers thinking they can tell Floyd Mayweather's trainers how to do their jobs.

Notice how Peterson mentions "the radical left" and Maher doesn't address it in any way.

In reality the two of them could spar on a number of topics but like you said the show isn't terribly well fit for that and most importantly, Peterson was on to promote his book. Antagonizing him in any way would derail the show and piss off the publisher who bought his spot.
That’s because Bill Maher agrees they exist, which is why he’s constantly bitching about them.

You're representing what she said incorrectly. She wasn't hysterical about it when she said it--it was sad half jokingly.
And people need to stop acting like Donald Trump is some sort of normal president. 2 years ago no one would have believed that Donald fucking Trump could be the president of the United States. His last job was doing reality shows, and judging beauty pageants or some shit. It's completely understandable to be in a state of somewhat disbelief still that he actually became the president. Now is certainly a different time than it was in the past.

I like Alex Wagner generally. She is smart and seems like a good person, but she didn't give Peterson a chance from the start. She was immediately triggered, and Peterson didn't even say anything offensive.
On the flip side, Peterson has a natural, off-putting disposition..so I can also understand how he could grate on people. He can be verbose, and he sounds condescending, even when I don't think that is his intent.

She was trying to bring the topic back to Trump so the panel could go back to mocking him.

Here's more.

He's concerned about how Trump voters feel when people go after Trump. "They're not taking this well. Well, they're not. They're not."

Hmmm.
Hmmmm. Was there some interesting point just made there?

There are legitimate criticism one could make regarding Peterson's commentary on Trump supporters. And that maybe he did show a lack of consistency in the need to not be so easily offended, or at the very least didn't explain that well. But this is just spite over the fact that someone with a worldview that doesn't make Seder feel good inside is gaining the exposure he is. This is just pettiness from start to finish. And in any symposium of ideas, is there any doubt that Peterson vs Seder would be a deisel truck running over an passing deer on the road? It's local YMCA boxers thinking they can tell Floyd Mayweather's trainers how to do their jobs.

Seder would run circles around JP....

I think his point was valid, even if he struggled to explain it.

In many cases, "political correctness" only encourages stronger opposition, on part of those deemed to be "incorrect". Constantly making disparaging remarks about Trump supporters also encourages stronger opposition. When combined, deeming yourself "correct" while still constantly trashing, stereotyping and shaming those that you're allowed to be "incorrect" towards, seems hypocritical.

The desired results of getting lost voters back to the fold, are not truly being achieved by assuming such stances. What's happening, is that people are more and more inclined to "stay with their pick", no matter how erroneous, rather than risk constant humiliation and degradation at the hands of the "correct" kind of people, constantly reminding the "incorrect" people about their stupidity and mediocrity.

I wouldn't say that it is hypocritical to say that people should tone down on "political correctness", while still refraining from continuously insulting their political opposition. There's a point to be made about not being on your high horse, while still not acting like a jackass, either. Seems to be a reasonable suggestion, to me. A middle road between all that, where one can have class without overt judgment of others.

Last edited:
I don't have anything against Jordan Peterson, but I also have no idea what people find so profound or unique about him.

He points out the simple things. He even says so in this interview.

"... what I was saying was self-evidently true, but not expressed very well... very often."

I think that sums up what he does pretty well.

She was trying to bring the topic back to Trump so the panel could go back to mocking him.
It was a one off comment that lasted a millisecond. She made a half joke and moved on.
Lol the panel didn't need a reason to go back to Trump. Almost every political show is about Trump
There wouldn't be nonstop Trump mocking if Trump wasn't doing and saying nonstop dumb shit.

I think his point was valid, even if he struggled to explain it.

In many cases, "political correctness" only encourages stronger opposition, on part of those deemed to be "incorrect". Constantly making disparaging remarks about Trump supporters also encourages stronger opposition. When combined, deeming yourself "correct" while still constantly trashing, stereotyping and shaming those that you're allowed to be "incorrect" towards, seems hypocritical.

The desired results of getting lost voters back to the fold, are not truly being achieved by assuming such stances. What's happening, is that people are more and more inclined to "stay with their pick", no matter how erroneous, rather than risk constant humiliation and degradation at the hands of the "correct" kind of people, constantly reminding the "incorrect" people about their stupidity and mediocrity.

I wouldn't say that it is hypocritical to say that people should tone down on "political correctness", while still refraining from continuously insulting their political opposition. There's a point to be made about not being on your high horse, while still not acting like a jackass, either. Seems to be a reasonable suggestion, to me. A middle road between all that, where one can have class without overt judgment of others.
Yeah I do think Peterson's point was valid. My initial response was largely looking to be fair with Seder;s response and to try and address it fairly. But yes, Peterson was raising a legitimate issue and Seder, well, listening to him protest about Joe Rogan even just allowing non leftists on his podcast places him in a league of his own, beyond the Young Turks and their affiliates.

He points out the simple things. He even says so in this interview.

"... what I was saying was self-evidently true, but not expressed very well... very often."

I think that sums up what he does pretty well.
The thing about Peterson is that he doesn't consider himself an intellectual and has said many times his lectures are a sort of thinking out loud, or externalized internal dialogue. The guy is humble and is free to admit his flaws. Yet his detractors insist on assigning egotistical attributes to him that Peterson does not claim to have. It's not a good look.

It was a one off comment that lasted a millisecond. She made a half joke and moved on.
Lol the panel didn't need a reason to go back to Trump. Almost every political show is about Trump
There wouldn't be nonstop Trump mocking if Trump wasn't doing and saying nonstop dumb shit.

A one off comment? Once the attention was off Peterson the whole panel was going on about Trump. American media is suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome. They are obsessed with him and cannot go more than a few minutes without talking about him.

That’s because Bill Maher agrees they exist, which is why he’s constantly bitching about them.
Of course, but he doesn't single them out like Peterson does in every appearance he does. That's my point, he didn't play along with solely blaming leftists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back