How did humans be around for 200,000 years and only got technology recently?

It doesn't make sense to me either. Anatomically modern humans have been around for about 200,000 years which means at least in the last 50 or 100k years the people living has been as smart as you or I. The only thing that makes sense to me is that periodically, maybe every 10 or 20 thousand years, a natural disaster like an asteroid or an ice age wipes out and resets civilization. These would be civilizations lost to time. There is some good evidence that the last time this happened was around 12,000 years ago which is why its been taught in schools that the Sumerians where the first real civilization. Maybe they wern't. Maybe we just don't remember what happened.

I cant buy that. Where are all the plastic bags and shit from the last advanced age?

I cant buy that. Where are all the plastic bags and shit from the last advanced age?

I didn't say they were as advanced as we are. I said there is good evidence that humanity has been reset multiple times.

I wonder how long turtles were around before they got shells.

We did it faster than any other species on Earth. Not fast enough?

Technological growth appears to
be exponential and pretty dramatically so.

techmology's well important, innit.

I didn't say they were as advanced as we are. I said there is good evidence that humanity has been reset multiple times.
full.jpg

Some, maybe most, people fail to realise that we DON'T NEED Technology to survive. All the progress in tech in the last 100 years made our life more enjoyable, more entertaining. The abilities to travel around the world, speak to someone in real time half the world across just makes life more fun. That's it.

But we won't literally die without most if not all of them.
Those people living in extremes weathers that are dependent of heaters, might, but they could easily just leave those places if they simply want to survive.
Those people that stares at their phones 23/7 waiting for the next Likes, might, because they could just commit suicide because their life is just so plain meaningless without a phone.

EDIT:
Should there be a movie scenario where all tech suddenly failed, the only reason why most human will die off is because of other humans. Riots, rampage, murder of sort because most modern city dwellers believe they can't live without tech. Population will plummet to ancient times where human population are actually healthy enough to co-exist with other wildlife on Earth.

All tech did, medical or whatsoever, is artificially prolonged humans life and thus population.

No problem man. I did not mean to assume your post went further than it did. I was kind of just joking anyway.

Some, maybe most, people fail to realise that we DON'T NEED Technology to survive. All the progress in tech in the last 100 years made our life more enjoyable, more entertaining. The abilities to travel around the world, speak to someone in real time half the world across just makes life more fun. That's it.

Those people living in extremes weathers that are dependent of heaters, might, but they could easily just leave those places if they simply want to survive.
Those people that stares at their phones 23/7 waiting for the next Likes, might, because they could just commit suicide because their life is just so plain meaningless without a phone.

EDIT:
Should there be a movie scenario where all tech suddenly failed, the only reason why most human will die off is because of other humans. Riots, rampage, murder of sort because most modern city dwellers believe they can't live without tech. Population will plummet to ancient times where human population are actually healthy enough to co-exist with other wildlife on Earth.

All tech did, medical or whatsoever, is artificially prolonged humans life and thus population.

Its far more complicated than that. The industrial revolution made it possible to feed massive amounts of people and that only grew as our technology grew. As it is right now we use petroleum based fertilizers and petroleum based pesticides to try to keep up with the amount of food it takes to feed 7 billion people. We've depleted the land of its nutrients and now we actually spray nutrients into the soil, which is oil based. Without it we would all starve. On top of that we have to have tons of large freighters, trains, and trucks, all burning fossil fuels, to get that food to you every day so you don't die. If you took away all the tech, most of Earth's population would perish in quick order. The population would stabilize at a number that is supportable. Meaning, billions would need to die out.

Even as it is now, if a disaster were to strike in the area of the American bread basket, say a Yellowstone super volcano eruption, it would cripple a massive amount of food production.

Human technology is built on the knowledge that's been built up by others throughout time. Starting with nothing is tough, no way to preserve complex ideas so ideas can't be spread and passed down very far. By the time language is fully developed to handle the abstract and information can be preserved, you're still dealing with limited resources and power struggles so only so few could learn and so little could be done with that. Medicine and sterilization have exploded the population allowing for so many new minds cooperating together in recent years. Imagine a small isolated village today coming up with the newest smart phone or cruise missle. People dedicate their energy and minds to survival in their environment, we're amazing at that considering we survived a bottleneck and spread around the world and beyond.

Besides, there have been robots, tanks, and flying machines since Leonardo's time, the Antikythera mechanism of ancient Greece, and so much more amazing technologies lost to time and never passed down or realized. Our access to information and growing population has been a total game changer.

Last edited:
You think I'm high for saying humanity has suffered near extinction events in the past? Really? Seems obvious.
no, you're high for saying that advanced civilizations have popped up and been eradicated every 10-20k years when the physical record does not offer pretty much any evidence of that.

industrial revolution made it possible to feed massive amounts of people and that only grew as our technology grew. As it is right now we use petroleum based fertilizers and petroleum based pesticides to try to keep up with the amount of food it takes to feed 7 billion people.

EDIT:

EDIT:

I would take the opposite route and say that all that technology has actually made life harder than it needs to be. Rather than just living, we have burdened ourselves with the need for useless, endless work and the earth is going to pay for it. And then it will wipe us out.

To he honest i cant believe we have what we have all from nothing. It is pretty Wild. I think technology might lead to our decline. Technology leads to more population which can only lead to negative impact. It is needed though, humans do not deserve earth

Religions have sought to stifle knowledge in the past and still are today. Much of the advancement in technology came about as a byproduct of war.

How did humans be around for 200,000 years and only got technology recently?

The gene pool is polluted and has slowed the process down. Evolution. Why isn't a 1 year old talking and doing quantum physics? You have to crawl before you can walk, walk before you can run. Language, weapons, the wheel, and fire were all great early inventions. For its time. Why was the Atom bomb developed in 1945 and not 1845? Frankly I believe it should have been developed in 1965. The folks that invent the good stuff are hard to come by. Great minds. Edison, Einstein, Oppenheimer, Gates, Jobs, etc. Guns, steel, and germs changed societies. That's how the Europeans became so much more advanced than other societies, but the Egyptians were doing great for a while.

Once basic needs are met: Food, water, sex, safety, shelter, money, etc., you have time to think. Once you start thinking, you start creating. Most cultures are still in the basic needs mode.

Last edited:
Back