Rewatched my 2017 FOTY (Canelo/GGG)

Yeah, I had Canelo winning by a round I think.

Fans gave Golovkin too much credit for being the guy coming forward. He got outboxed pretty clear IMO.

I mean, yeah, it was close and as has been said, a close Golovkin win wouldn't have been controversial, but a lot of people think that one funny scorecard makes it OK to dismiss what happened in the fight.

Wat? The contortions of logic you go threw to both hate on GGG and sound reasonable!

Wat? The contortions of logic you go threw to both hate on GGG and sound reasonable!
Well, IMO Golovkin got outboxed. But I understand there are people who favor the aggressor. Looking at it that way, I can see how people liked Golovkin is some rounds.

Cool. Pics are fun!

I mean you _could have_ constructed your own sentences (am I giving too much credit here?), but instead you've really made your point clear and didn't waste your time searching for some vague image.

Cool. Pics are fun!

I mean you _could have_ constructed your own sentences (am I giving too much credit here?), but instead you've really made your point clear and didn't waste your time searching for some vague image.

Yeah, that easily accessible image is one of my favorites when someone is acting smug and condescending. It says everything I need to say: “lol”

In your opinion.

People base too much on a fighter's perceived power, IMO. I think thats the only way to really give Golovkin the fight, by assuming he hits harder in a close round. I think thats shit judging. Not accusing you directly of it, just saying, its a pretty common sentiment.

Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate your distinction between me and others. Opinions, yes, they have a way of ruling forums (or reducing them to anarchy, either way). But to sift through our mutual opinions, I will say that the same "perceived power" criticism you've leveled against GGG is the same thing people have noticed about Canelo when he gets credit for EVERY damn swing round in many of his fights. No one with a level head can look back on all those Canelo fights and agree eith all those swing rounds going his way (not just from Byrd either).

So I happen to see - if both are credited with this; "sauce for the goose" - that GGG landed more and controlled things more. Did Canelo do a great job of moving? Yup. Did he do enough to win? I can't see how. Maybe his overperforming in the eyes of some is giving him credit, and GGG underperforming makes him lose some, I don't know. But that aside, I saw GGG landing more.

As I said to Sunfish in another post: we'll just have to agree to disagree. I respect an articulated point, even if I disagree with it. I just can't fathom Canelo winning.

Last edited:
Yeah, that easily accessible image is one of my favorites when someone is acting smug and condescending. It says everything I need to say: “lol”

Listen, man, if you have something to say, don't hide behind some "easily accessible image."

You read "smug" and "condescending" when I said this thread was digging up an unecessary past. I recounted my point but ultimately accepted that it would be disagreed with. I really can't see GGG losing on the cards. It's a stretch. If people want to see it that way, then that's their prerogative; who am I to care? If I recall correctly, you said it was a draw upon your first watch? Ok. I respect that, and never said I can't appreciate someone's opinion. I simply said I can't fathom it, but out of basic human dignity, I can respect that it was formed in someone's mind and wasn't hateful. I never insulted someone for their thoughts, but go ahead and use words that don't apply (smug and condescending? Please....).

I've said worse in other posts. You use now as the time for your needless image searches? Come on, bud, articulate first.

Edit: also, I see you quoted me from another thread. I appreciate this. You're trying to make some connection. Good. I was actually laughing. That was all that I wanted to say, he already knew I wouldn't be moved, and, for the record, he adopted a tone before you could even accuse me of the same (you two may be friends though, so loyalties will be loyalties). They can have the point about Lewis' jab, but that was a video of an upright target getting hit by a jab. That was a field day. Anyone's jab would look good. I was laughing with the poor choice of video. I'm sure he could have done better, just like you could have when you did some image browsing.

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate your distinction between me and others. Opinions, yes, they have a way of ruling forums (or reducing them to anarchy, either way). But to sift through our mutual opinions, I will say that the same "perceived power" criticism you've leveled against GGG is the same thing people have noticed about Canelo when he gets credit for EVERY damn swing round in many of his fights. No one with a level head can look back on all those Canelo fights and agree eith all those swing rounds going his way (not just from Byrd either).

So I happen to see - if both are credited with this; "sauce for the goose" - that GGG landed more and controlled things more. Did Canelo do a great job of moving? Yup. Did he do enough to win? I can't see how. Maybe his overperforming in the eyes of some is giving him credit, and GGG underperforming makes him lose some, I don't know. But that aside, I saw GGG landing more.

As I said to Sunfish in another post: we'll just have to agree to disagree. I respect an articulated point, even if I disagree with it. I just can't fathom Canelo winning.
You mention Canelo winning swing rounds. Which rounds do you mean in this fight particularly? Just curious, if you don't have time, np, but that's what really peaked my interest about your post. Good poster btw, as always. Nothing wrong with someone seeing it for GGG like I said.

Listen, man, if you have something to say, don't hide behind some "easily accessible image."

You read "smug" and "condescending" when I said this thread was digging up an unecessary past. I recounted my point but ultimately accepted that it would be disagreed with. I really can't see GGG losing on the cards. It's a stretch. If people want to see it that way, then that's their prerogative; who am I to care? If I recall correctly, you said it was a draw upon your first watch? Ok. I respect that, and never said I can't appreciate someone's opinion. I simply said I can't fathom it, but out of basic human dignity, I can respect that it was formed in someone's mind and wasn't hateful. I never insulted someone for their thoughts, but go ahead and use words that don't apply (smug and condescending? Please....).

I've said worse in other posts. You use now as the time for your needless image searches? Come on, bud, articulate first.

Edit: also, I see you quoted me from another thread. I appreciate this. You're trying to make some connection. Good. I was actually laughing. That was all that I wanted to say, he already knew I wouldn't be moved, and, for the record, he adopted a tone before you could even accuse me of the same (you two may be friends though, so loyalties will be loyalties). They can have the point about Lewis' jab, but that was a video of an upright target getting hit by a jab. That was a field day. Anyone's jab would look good. I was laughing with the poor choice of video. I'm sure he could have done better, just like you could have when you did some image browsing.

Quoted you from another thread? What are you talking about? All of the posts I quoted came from this thread. I probably quoted you in a different thread at some point recently, couldn't tell you though.

Here's the post I quoted originally (appeared in this thread):

There is a difference between a close fight and a draw. How people argue the close fight into a draw is beyond me.

It's way harder to give Canelo the win in that fight than GGG. 8-4 or 7-5 for GGG. Even the draw is a bit perplexing.

Though, I've been over all this before so this thread is just going to stir up the existing biases that went into dormancy until now.

It's smug and condescending to think that if someone scored a fight differently than you that they have biases. Maybe you were talking about someone specific, and not everyone in general?

Inb4 you catch a ton of shit.

Personally I had it a draw. I have a hard time seeing Canelo get the W and a slightly easier time seeing GGG. But I think it was a good decision.
man, that's some cowardly shit...due, it's an anoymous forum. its not gonna kill you to take a fkin stand.

man, that's some cowardly shit...due, it's an anoymous forum. its not gonna kill you to take a fkin stand.

I guess? I'm not going to judge something differently just to impress you.

Especially not you.

I also had it 7-5 canelo...but i didn't expect him to get the win...i was surprised he got the draw...i guess the politics were strong on both sides, like trump said.

I guess? I'm not going to judge something differently just to impress you.

Especially not you.
wtf do you know about me?...this aint about me, you spineless coward. it's about YOU having the balls to watch a fight and come down on one side or another using your god-given sense and judgement. maybe you never watched or scored a fighte before, but still, a copout answer like "i had the fight a draw" just makes you sound weak.

Lol just rewatched this morning on HBO’s YouTube channel. I was drinking the first time I watched also and thought GGG all day, watching this time I thought it was super close but still scored it 7-5 GGG. Some really close rounds make a draw understandable
yeah, all them missed punches really piled up the rounds for ggg.

wtf do you know about me?...this aint about me, you spineless coward. it's about YOU having the balls to watch a fight and come down on one side or another using your god-given sense and judgement. maybe you never watched or scored a fighte before, but still, a copout answer like "i had the fight a draw" just makes you sound weak.

Or it makes it sound like I follow the scoring criteria, because a draw is a perfectly acceptable score. Fights are twelve rounds. Sorry math isn't a strong skill of yours (or even weak skill, if even this is a problem for you).

Not sure what you think you're going to do here. You've got to wake up pretty early in the morning to get me going and that isn't coming close.

Or it makes it sound like I follow the scoring criteria, because a draw is a perfectly acceptable score. Fights are twelve rounds. Sorry math isn't a strong skill of yours (or even weak skill, if even this is a problem for you).

Not sure what you think you're going to do here. You've got to wake up pretty early in the morning to get me going and that isn't coming close.
dude, i don't know you and don't care to know you, so i have nothing to gain if you think i'm picking on you. i'm just making an observation. EVERYBODY else saw the same fight you did and came away with an opinion about who won....yes, dumbass, we all know fights are scored on a 10 point MUST system...it's been that way for many, many, many, many years...we know how judges score a fight. but this is an opinion forum. why state your opinion only to say you have NO opinion? you made me waste a precious few seconds of my life to read your non-committal nonsense. next time if you're gonna make a post on an opinion forum, have a fukin opinion to say or else just don't post anything.

dude, i don't know you and don't care to know you, so i have nothing to gain if you think i'm picking on you. i'm just making an observation. EVERYBODY else saw the same fight you did and came away with an opinion about who won....yes, dumbass, we all know fights are scored on a 10 point MUST system...it's been that way for many, many, many, many years...we know how judges score a fight. but this is an opinion forum. why state your opinion only to say you have NO opinion? you made me waste a precious few seconds of my life to read your non-committal nonsense. next time if you're gonna make a post on an opinion forum, have a fukin opinion to say or else just don't post anything.

I don't know what to tell you. I scored the fight the way I scored it. I can't go back and give a round to someone after the fact because I like them. Not everyone came away with a winner - Trella didn't.

That is my opinion. Get more irrational about it, though. Telling people what to do online is definitely going to work out for you.

I don't know what to tell you. I scored the fight the way I scored it. I can't go back and give a round to someone after the fact because I like them. Not everyone came away with a winner - Trella didn't.

That is my opinion. Get more irrational about it, though. Telling people what to do online is definitely going to work out for you.
good god damn...at least you DO realize we're all online...in anonymous opinion forum. good for you.

? The hell lol

Back