International Trump/Kim Singapore Summit **UPDATE** Korean Denuclearization Agreement Signed

I never new this was about helping the people of North Korea as they live under a brutal dictator and there isnt hope of dealing with that at the moment

I thought this was just about getting rocketman to cool it with the nukes.

If the people of north Korea are still fucked but we have calmed the nuke thing down would you still consider this a success?

That entirely depends. Didn't they basically blow up their test site anyway? I wouldn't consider it a success if what we get is something that they were going to be forced to do anyway thanks to their own actions.

Meh, I get this. When you're trying to talk someone into doing something that they don't want to do, you butter them up. I'm almost impressed by President Trump a bit, considering that he normally can't go more than a few sentences without insulting the person he's talking about. One extremely valid criticism of the President is that he is a hammer in constant search of a nail, unloading verbally on people whenever he has the opportunity. The fact that he hasn't shot diplomatic efforts in the foot by saying something insulting is kind of throwing me for a loop.

He should've said that he was happy to be in beautiful, "Singapore!", and that he looked forward to a productive discussion. He could've thanked Kim for being open to the talks. He didn't have to laud, or denigrate the man.

Really pretty simple stuff, frankly. You simply have to actually have mental discipline to be a good diplomat.

"I'm very happy to be(Cue Mick Foley promo), right here, in beautiful Singapore!"

"I'd like to thank Kim Jong Un for being open to these talks, and for taking the time to meet with me today."

"I look forward to a frank, and productive discussion on all matters that are pertinent to the interests of both parties."

"Thank you very much. No further questions at this time."

See. Simple.

That entirely depends. Didn't they basically blow up their test site anyway? I wouldn't consider it a success if what we get is something that they were going to be forced to do anyway thanks to their own actions.

Do you honestly not think that they wouldn't have just opened another test site..?

I'm gonna have to assume this post full of nothing was just an artistic display of the actual answer: nothing.

I'm perfectly ready to give Trump credit here... but I just can't find out what to give him credit for. The issue of civil rights in NK never came up. No specific timetables or methods of verification were every articulated. Literally all they did was have hangout, have a photo-op and show off a "promise" that Kim can literally piss on tomorrow without consequence.

So what did the US not have yesterday that we have today? The word of "an unstable little rocket man"?

Mountains of salt from butthurt liberals like you to start.

An overwhelming amount of material to shit on you with in a year when the process is realized.

Oh, and returned hostages, no missile tests in 7 months, 2 disabled weapons facilities, improved NK behavior on the world scene, and yes, a commitment to denuclearization, returning pow remai, etc, etc.

Hue hue hue.

Reading this thread was pretty fun. The left are making the best predictions. Big yuge predictions. Accurate!

giphy.gif

Jesus

Now the media is pissed Trump is calling off joint US/SK military exercises

Serious question. Does the media not want peace?

It's literally as if certain organizations within America are actively trying to sabotage any effort for peace

@HomerThompson I get what you're saying, but it costs nothing to say something nice while you potentially get something in return in the form of a more cooperative negotiating partner. If this whole thing sinks, he can always go back to calling Kim "Little Rocket Man," and it will undo every nice thing he said.

Mountains of salt from butthurt liberals like you to start.

An overwhelming amount of material to shit on you with in a year when the process is realized.

Nothing and nothing, got it.

Oh, and returned hostages, no missile tests in 7 months, 2 disabled weapons facilities, improved NK behavior on the world scene, and yes, a commitment to denuclearization, returning pow remai, etc, etc.

So literally nothing we didn't already have, other than a promise. Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

There's many ways to be respectful without praising the mere presence of a dictator. Trump approached this meeting as if the world met Kim 3 days ago. Why is it an honor to meet a man who's done the things he's done?

I dont disagree

But being a diplomat is an art form as is being an orator and sometimes you just gotta play the hand you were dealt

trump talks like hes in 4th grade so those are the expectations I have for him

You do realize this is not a binding agreement for North Korea to get rid of their nukes right?

Nothing is truly binding in international politics unless there is a hammer like the US military waiting to enforce it.

@HomerThompson I get what you're saying, but it costs nothing to say something nice while you potentially get something in return in the form of a more cooperative negotiating partner. If this whole thing sinks, he can always go back to calling Kim "Little Rocket Man," and it will undo every nice thing he said.

It costs you the trust of the people you lead who would wonder why you're honored to meet an awful dictator. It costs you the principle of never placating evil just to get what you want. There's many, many ways to be respectful and nice without bestowing the other man prestige.

Luckily for Trump he's just leading a gaggle of morons not concerned by that, or his "very special bond". So he should be fine.

Kim is legitimized now though. He has been put on equal footing with the POTUS, and was placed there by a sitting President. Words are everything in international diplomacy.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I think it's a pretty big deal. If he does an about face(again), it further erodes our standing in the world.

I dont disagree

But being a diplomat is an art form as is being an orator and sometimes you just gotta play the hand you were dealt

trump talks like hes in 4th grade so those are the expectations I have for him

This just sounds like an excuse to be untruthful and lie to get what you want. I'll pass. There were many ways to be respectful without acting like you're meeting a celebrity.

He should've said that he was happy to be in beautiful, "Singapore!", and that he looked forward to a productive discussion. He could've thanked Kim for being open to the talks. He didn't have to laud, or denigrate the man.

Really pretty simple stuff, frankly. You simply have to actually have mental discipline to be a good diplomat.

"I'm very happy to be(Cue Mick Foley promo), right here, in beautiful Singapore!"

"I'd like to thank Kim Jong Un for being open to these talks, and for taking the time to meet with me today."

"I look forward to a frank, and productive discussion on all matters that are pertinent to the interests of both parties."

"Thank you very much. No further questions at this time."

See. Simple.

Simple for you and i maybe

Again trump is a moron so my expectations of him in regards to things like that just arent that high

It costs you the trust of the people you lead who would wonder why you're honored to meet an awful dictator. It costs you the principle of never placating evil just to get what you want. There's many, many ways to be respectful and nice without bestowing the other man prestige.

Luckily for Trump he's just leading a gaggle of morons not concerned by that, or his "very special bond". So he should be fine.
If people are stupid enough to think that President Trump means it when he says that he's honored to meet someone he's been so openly critical of in the past, I don't know what to do for them. Maybe direct them to a library so that they can enrich their minds a bit? This is an obvious lie that he's telling, so we should all recognize it while recognizing why he's doing it.

Simple for you and i maybe

Again trump is a moron so my expectations of him in regards to things like that just arent that high
He may be a moron, but he's still the fucking President, and we should all hold them all to the same standard.

I don't expect him to be reasonable, but I do demand it as an axiom.

This just sounds like an excuse to be untruthful and lie to get what you want. I'll pass. There were many ways to be respectful without acting like you're meeting a celebrity.

Well I will keep that in mind and use that standard to judge you by when half the retards in this country elect you to be their supreme mugwump

Id also prefer to beat trump in in 2 years instead of suffering him for 6 so im willing to pick my battles and try no to alienate half the country that I need to make that happen if i dont need to.

But you take that stand you
Fight the power

Back