US arrest French teenager for crossing border by accident

That is bullshit too. The border patrol goes by federal law though, so it doesn't even matter what state you are entering even if it's legal there. I see pot eventually being federally legalized here in the States though. Trump was even talking about it.

I rarely smoke weed anymore as I kind of just grew out of it as I got older, but I'm all for the legalization of it. It's ridiculous when you think about how alcohol is legal and weed isn't.
Agreed. I don't even smoke any more. Meh, I'll survive.

I have a possession charge from over 20 years ago and can't get into the US. Didn't matter before 9/11 but all of a sudden it's the end of the world. And now weed is getting legalized.

Post 9/11 America don't really fuck around with criminal records and border crossings,
I was working for a travel consultancy a couple years ago that also serves the North American market and I have a couple clients who where former US Citizens who moved to Canada for whatever reason and they could not enter the US because one of them had a shoplifting record when she was in her early teens. They really take those things seriously.

It takes me about 2 hours to get to the Canadian border from where I live. I've been over to Canada a few times and the border Patrol is all ran by the Canadian side. They can be cunts too. I think it just goes with the territory.

The fucked up thing is that I got an impaired driving (In the U.S.) back in 2007 and I'm not ever allowed to go to Canada again, because drunk or impaired driving is a felony there. The impaired driving was my own dumb-ass fault, but It just boggles my mind how they have these strict policies with their neighbor, but will open there arms to unvetted Muslim refuges.

<DisgustingHHH>

Strict policies? You can't even go into the U.S from Canada if you've smoked cannabis ever or are a medicinal user.. They ask you at the border these days.

Huh... interesting. I wonder if they'd let me into the US, if for some highly improbable reason it was necessary for me to go there.
I've only got a "Speed Dangerous" conviction, and depending on how they word the question I can usually exclude it as a "traffic offence", but technically it's a criminal conviction.
Hasn't been a problem anywhere else.

That's fair, such as in @Bald1's case, but just know that Canada has one of the worst drunk driving death rates in the industrial world so it makes sense for them to prioritize that issue. They have enough drunk drivers as is, don't need anymore.

That makes sense. I didn't realize they ranked so high.

<DisgustingHHH>

Strict policies? You can't even go into the U.S from Canada if you've smoked cannabis ever or are a medicinal user.. They ask you at the border these days.

I'm not saying the U.S. is innocent I'm just saying that the Canadian border Patrol can be dicks too. Don't get me wrong I love Canada and it's people. I grew up in a similar culture in Upper Michigan. Long winters, everybody grew up playing hockey, a plethora of wildlife/forest, nice people, low crime, lots of beer drinking, and similar accents. Plus you guys gave us The Trailer Park Boys:D

That makes sense. I didn't realize they ranked so high.
Probably because its really cold. Russia has a terrible problem with alcoholism and I don't think that's an accident either.

Laws are laws. Even if you break them by accident. The border is there for a reason.

Also, how does one "accidentally" cross the border?

Yeah, the border patrol should definitely stop detaining anyone who "accidentally" crosses the border. Just go with their instincts that the person is just out for a jog, and didn't know their surroundings, and just leave them be. Sounds like a good plan.

Visits a town right at the boarder between 2 countries.
CBA to check where the actual boarder is.
Get detained by boarder security.

Ok she's a teenager. But then her guardians should have enlightened her, otherwise it's a good life lesson for her to realise something lie boarders actually do exist and have a function.

How is the border not posted in any way? Anyone from BC or Washington state with knowledge of this area?

She was running on the beach with a low tide.
accidental-border-crossin15-jpg.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-06-23-at-1.03.53-PM.png

Even if she saw it, it kind of looks like the beach is still part of Canada. I can easily see why she didn't notice. Two weeks to deal with this non issue though? She didn't have anything illegal on her, it shouldn't take two damn weeks.

Probably because its really cold. Russia has a terrible problem with alcoholism and I don't think that's an accident either.

I grew up in a cold place with really long winters and there is a lot of heavy drinking that goes on here, so I don't thin you're wrong:D

I'm not saying the U.S. is innocent I'm just saying that the Canadian border Patrol can be dicks too. Don't get me wrong I love Canada and it's people. I grew up in a similar culture in Upper Michigan. Long winters, everybody grew up playing hockey, a plethora of wildlife/forest, nice people, low crime, lots of beer drinking, and similar accents. Plus you guys gave us The Trailer Park Boys:D

911 really fucked everything up :(

Even if she saw it, it kind of looks like the beach is still part of Canada. I can easily see why she didn't notice. Two weeks to deal with this non issue though? She didn't have anything illegal on her, it shouldn't take two damn weeks.

They have a lot of protocols to go through to clear someone at the border for crossing illegally, even if by accident. It's not like she gets special treatment. She's detained and they get to her case when they get to it, because they're dealing with so much shit.

Bottom line, don't go jogging near the border. There are literally a million other places where you can go jogging.

Glad when I did this they just turned me around inside of 20 minutes after questioning.

Lucky she wasn't shot or ran over.

#murika

Had she been shot the same Trumpublican mouth-breathers defending her detainment would be saying her death was "her own fault" for not doing her due diligence on Google Maps before heading out for a jog.

You can tell how many people don't read.

She was a French citizen visiting Canada. She crossed without papers. Which means Canada had to check her out before they would take her back and the US had to check her out before they could release her.

Her not being a Canadian citizen made matters more complicated .

The US-Canada border is very long, it's stupid to expect signs will be posted in every single off-road area a jogger can go get into.
There are only 2 that are on the beach.

<TheDonald>

That's fair, such as in @Bald1's case, but just know that Canada has one of the worst drunk driving death rates in the industrial world so it makes sense for them to prioritize that issue. They have enough drunk drivers as is, don't need anymore.
Our rates are slightly higher than the us.

The US averages just over 10,000 drunk driving related deaths per rear. Canada averages around 1200.

Our rates are slightly higher than the us.

The US averages just over 10,000 drunk driving related deaths per rear. Canada averages around 1200.
We're roughly 10x your size so a rough estimate would suggest you guys have a rate that is 20% higher.

There are only 2 that are on the beach.

<TheDonald>
Man our boarder is a confusing thing in some spots. Did you know in Minnesota/Manitoba there's an air port on the boarder. As in the landing strip is part in Canada, part in the US.

Glad to see we are making such progress #WeAreAllOne

Man our boarder is a confusing thing in some spots. Did you know in Minnesota/Manitoba there's an air port on the boarder. As in the landing strip is part in Canada, part in the US.
ha I didn't know that one, but yeah it's a bit of a mess sometimes. I looked it up and saw 6 airports are on the line.

Back