Brian Ortega asked Dana White to be paid for UFC 226

Who cares? Until the fighters get off their asses and unionize I have no sympathy for them.

@brian

His job isn't just fighting on fight night.

He did Promos, Media, the weightcut, and whatever the fuck else the UFC asked of him before Max Holloway pulled out.

He deserves to at least be paid for what he actually did.

Keep being a Corporate Cuck.
He got paid for everything he did. All promos and media have travel arrangements covered along with per diem.

He chose not to fight and he didnt get paid

ES NORMAL

anderson-silva2.jpg

Dana should have given Ortega his Reebok money.... Heh

The audacity of this guy... I'm quickly not liking Ortega. The first post nailed it.
So if you get ready for work in the morning make your commute get there and they say nevermind no work today you are cool with getting nothing for that?

Now imagine you been dieting and miserable cutting weight for weeks then get nothing.

I understand not getting full pay but there should be some sort of compensation

Total bullshit...he showed up ready to fight Max, that was the contract....He trained for weeks based on Max...Max didn’t show, pay Ortega...

No sir, you are wrong. UFC treats these fighters as contractors. They sign fight agreements. And those fight agreements don't just have a date and time, they have an OPPONENT. If a fighter gets injured, that is a risk the UFC takes, it is their show, they recieve the profits on it. They shouldn't push that risk on the fighters who have held up their end of the agreement.
I’m wrong, from which perspective? The fighters? Ortega’s? Or the business? It’s not the same thing. If you’re running an organization with your feelings, then by all means pay the man, and give him a bonus while you’re at it for the psychological trauma of losing a title shot due to Max’s injury.

In the real world, you don’t get paid if you don’t go to work. If my boss sets up a job for me on Friday, and on Wednesday it falls through, but he/she offers me a replacement for the same day, why would I turn it down and expect to get paid?

The independent contractor argument works in my favor. You are right that he signed a contract to fight Max Holloway. Once Holloway pulled out, the contract is over, they do not owe him shit, fighters getting injured is a reality of the sport, just like I could land a huge bid and have the customer pull out at the last minute. His job got cancelled. They offered him two new contracts to fight other people on the same night (so his camp expenses and prep don’t go to waste) and he didn’t take the job.

He decided to play long ball. Fair play to him, but he now eats his expenses for refusing to go to work. Period.

There is 0 argument from a business perspective that the ufc should pay fighters after turning down replacements. If that were the case, every injury would mean one less fight on the card because there’s no insentive to stay on the card since you get paid for not fighting. If that is what you’re advocating for, where do we draw the line? What if max pulls out a week before? Then does Ortega get paid? What if he signs the fight context now for a fight in October and Max isn’t cleared in July. Does Ortega get paid anyway, even though he had three months to fight someone else? Where do we draw the line?

So if you get ready for work in the morning make your commute get there and they say nevermind no work today you are cool with getting nothing for that?

Now imagine you been dieting and miserable cutting weight for weeks then get nothing.

I understand not getting full pay but there should be some sort of compensation

It’s more like you commute to work to meet client X. Client X cancels at the last minute, but your boss says come in anyway, il set up a job for you and client Y. Then you say fuck it, I’m going home because I agreed to meet with client X, not client Y. Fair play, but you’d expect to get paid? Your boss tried to save your commute by offering you another job. You turned it down, because you saw a better opportunity down the road. Great for you, but it comes at the expense of the short term for Ortega.

I understand fighting has much steeper risks (and preperation) but the principle is the same.

I get that Ortega refused a replacement fight, but he hadn't signed a contract for a replacement fight. He signed to fight Max for the belt. If that fight gets cancelled so close to the event then of course he's not going to get his full pay but the UFC should at the very least cover Ortega's costs for training.

I’m wrong, from which perspective? The fighters? Ortega’s? Or the business? It’s not the same thing. If you’re running an organization with your feelings, then by all means pay the man, and give him a bonus while you’re at it for the psychological trauma of losing a title shot due to Max’s injury.

In the real world, you don’t get paid if you don’t go to work. If my boss sets up a job for me on Friday, and on Wednesday it falls through, but he/she offers me a replacement for the same day, why would I turn it down and expect to get paid?

The independent contractor argument works in my favor. You are right that he signed a contract to fight Max Holloway. Once Holloway pulled out, the contract is over, they do not owe him shit, fighters getting injured is a reality of the sport, just like I could land a huge bid and have the customer pull out at the last minute. His job got cancelled. They offered him two new contracts to fight other people on the same night (so his camp expenses and prep don’t go to waste) and he didn’t take the job.

He decided to play long ball. Fair play to him, but he now eats his expenses for refusing to go to work. Period.

There is 0 argument from a business perspective that the ufc should pay fighters after turning down replacements. If that were the case, every injury would mean one less fight on the card because there’s no insentive to stay on the card since you get paid for not fighting. If that is what you’re advocating for, where do we draw the line? What if max pulls out a week before? Then does Ortega get paid? What if he signs the fight context now for a fight in October and Max isn’t cleared in July. Does Ortega get paid anyway, even though he had three months to fight someone else? Where do we draw the line?
I don't know the wording in the Contracts or Fighter Agreements. But this is not a business in which you sign to fight on a certain night, and that is the only night you have to work. And everyone knows that, and if you are arguing that, then you need to stop. What the hell would Dana say if all of a sudden, Conor shows up completely out of shape for his next fight, and tells Dana "Hey, you only pay me for one night, not to train" It is understood by ALL that in order for these guys to fight, they have to have a training camp, and those cost money.

Now, I understand your point, about the the contract is over once one guy pulls out and then there has to be a new contract. But who's responsibility is it to deliver on the contract? Each party has a burden. Ortega's contract is with the UFC, not Max. He agrees to fight Max on a certain night. The UFC agrees to deliver Max to the also fight. When Max doesn't show up, but Ortega does, who breaches that contract? Certainly NOT Ortega. He had a signed agreement with the UFC to fight Max. He didn't breach, he showed up to fight Max. The UFC could not deliver Max.

Again, not knowing what the wording says in the contracts and agreements, it's hard to argue. But from what I do know, it seems like it's the UFC that breached that contract, not Max. And they should owe on it.

Can someone post Ortega’s contract so this speculative bullshit can be put to rest?

He should be seeking compensation from Max Holloway, of the 3 parties involved he's the one who didn't do his part

Fighters have negotiated it before lol what are you even talking about

Collective action is necessary but none of the rest of this is true at all

Which UFC fighter has negotiated guaranteed pay for a scheduled fight?

I don't know the wording in the Contracts or Fighter Agreements. But this is not a business in which you sign to fight on a certain night, and that is the only night you have to work. And everyone knows that, and if you are arguing that, then you need to stop. What the hell would Dana say if all of a sudden, Conor shows up completely out of shape for his next fight, and tells Dana "Hey, you only pay me for one night, not to train" It is understood by ALL that in order for these guys to fight, they have to have a training camp, and those cost money.

Now, I understand your point, about the the contract is over once one guy pulls out and then there has to be a new contract. But who's responsibility is it to deliver on the contract? Each party has a burden. Ortega's contract is with the UFC, not Max. He agrees to fight Max on a certain night. The UFC agrees to deliver Max to the also fight. When Max doesn't show up, but Ortega does, who breaches that contract? Certainly NOT Ortega. He had a signed agreement with the UFC to fight Max. He didn't breach, he showed up to fight Max. The UFC could not deliver Max.

Again, not knowing what the wording says in the contracts and agreements, it's hard to argue. But from what I do know, it seems like it's the UFC that breached that contract, not Max. And they should owe on it.
I found two so far. If his looks like these he’s fucked, because it is about the date and not the opponent.

16FA3DCC-2258-471B-85AC-315D0C7BC1B0.png
846CCCF7-CBEB-4435-9512-89769316D5BE.png

Which UFC fighter has negotiated guaranteed pay for a scheduled fight?

It was widely reported Tony Ferguson has it in his new contract after Khabib pulled out with tiramisu and he got only a percentage of his show money

I'm sure others do as well but we never get to see contracts or contract details in this sport because of the UFC's shady practices involving not divulging pay publicly

I fully understand him turning down the last minute fights to wait for a title shot. But it’s mind fucking to me that he was expecting to be paid show money when he turned down two suitable replacements. I feel like anyone with common sense knows that if you opt to wait for a title shot instead of fighting, it comes at the expense of your purse.

He signed a contract to fight Holloway. He showed up, Holloway didn't. He should get his show money. All fighters should get their show money if they show up and a bonus if their opponent pulls out and they accept a replacement on short notice.

It was widely reported Tony Ferguson has it in his new contract after Khabib pulled out with tiramisu and he got only a percentage of his show money

I'm sure others do as well but we never get to see contracts or contract details in this sport because of the UFC's shady practices involving not divulging pay publicly

By which outlets? I'm only seeing articles about him getting screwed by the UFC after Khabib pulled out of UFC 209 when I search for his new contract.

A link would be appreciated.

Back