fury road is overrated

?

• Total voters
it was a drawn-out first act, cool special effects though
I liked it well enough I guess..certainly wasnt great...

seemed like they took the best part out of the Road Warrior ((tanker chase at the end)) and turned it into a full movie....which was the sucky part of it I guess but they did add enough cool/funny shit to keep me entertained for the ride

I really liked it and thought it turned out better than i expected.

It is. It's not the "Best movie evar!!! OMG!!!".

I have however, warmed up to it more since I initially saw it. It's a very solid action movie, that's incredibly re-watchable. I don't ever get bored watching it, and even when I stumble upon it on TV halfway through or whatever, I'm compelled to see it through to the end. It's only glaring problem I find is that Tom Hardy's version of Max has no charisma or screen presence. Theron's character is a bit one note and bland too. The story is completely forgettable as well. In the character and story department, it's pretty weak. I have grown to enjoy it for what it is though, which is essentially one long, well made action sequence in a visually pleasing style, that only takes very brief moments to breathe, and if that's all it was trying to accomplish, then so be it.

I think I initially gave it a 6/10. I'd bump that up to a 7.5 or an 8 now.

We were on vacation in colorado, and had bought some edibles. So the wife and i were back at the place we were staying and we got high, started watching the movie and i ended up getting too high to remember the ending. But from what i remember, the movie was damn good.

@Dragonlordxxxxx reading this like....

RbgYhzI.gif

I really liked it. I've seen it multiple times. I also read a lot about the backstory and stuff like that. It makes a lot more sense if you understand the war boys and the chrome and all that stuff. They could have made it a 10 episode mini series or something IMO and give a lot more backstory and character development. Instead it was just a 2 hour action fest with not a ton of character build. But I still really liked it.

the Mad Max franchise is one of my favorite film series, and in my opinion Fury Road is at the top. i think Thunderdome is really underrated and the whole series is great.

Beyond Thunderdome was awful in regards to the story. The pageantry and Thunderdome fight scene in particular made up for some of the weaker storytelling, but the entire storyline felt forced around those few key scenes. The Road Warrior was the best by far.

Name me another movie that can build character with boots

The genius of this film is that it tells you everything you need to know without having to use dialogue.

basically any movie where tom hardy is the main actor is overrated.

I really enjoyed it. There is no intricate plot or Oscar level acting, but the stunt, set pieces, design, action sequences were all on point, culminating into a great summer action flick.

I wouldn't say an "intricate plot" is the sign of good cinema, if anything these days overly complex and muddled blockbusters like Prometheus of anything by JJ Abrams are a sign of rushed poor quality writing.

I'm guessing the problems for Sherdog were either the politics or that really it wasn't your standard action blockbuster, I mean yes it has a very large amount of action in it but actually it also tends towards being more of an atmospheric rather subtle character piece. Indeed I'd say that it actually gets away with having so much action because its delivering its story in such a fashion rather than though overt exposition scenes.

It didnt need some cliched flashback of Furisoa's childhood or her outlining the details of it, what we get revealed from her interactions and behaviour is enough.

Last edited:
I don't know why love Fury Road, it's so dull especially the protagonist.

If you didn't see it in imax 3d Atmos or whatever, then yea.

Those specactular movies are a must-see-in-theatres type of film. I loved it but would never watch it on a plane.

The guitar flame thrower looks absolutely comical in 4K blu ray.

I am disappointed to say, that I really don't like it. Which is a shame, because I remember being really amazed by it, after my first viewing in theater
The first time viewing experience was a 7/10 for me, but as a movie, it is a 4 or 5/10 at best. I knew after leaving the theater, that I would likely never watch it in its entirety again.
This exactly. When I first saw it, I really didn't know anything other than watching the Mel Gibson movies with my dad as a kid.I remember being pretty excited and raving about it to my friends. Then I went and saw it a second time...and it was almost like a totally different movie.

the Mad Max franchise is one of my favorite film series, and in my opinion Fury Road is at the top. i think Thunderdome is really underrated and the whole series is great, and while i was hoping Fury Road would be good i was blown away when i saw it in the theater. and repeat viewings have definitely not changed my mind.

Fury Road and Blade Runner 2049 were better-than-they-should-be additions to franchises in my opinion, but i'm not surprised that others don't feel the same way.
Keep
Your trolling in the kuzu

I thought it was a fun, slightly dumb, movie, but totally disposable.

nah. fury road has great stunts possibly some of the best in the mad max series. it creates its own excellent lexicon like previous mad max films and has interesting characters.great cinematography. the score was also thrilling.

If you didn't see it in imax 3d Atmos or whatever, then yea.

Those specactular movies are a must-see-in-theatres type of film. I loved it but would never watch it on a plane.
I saw it cinemark XD it was a thrill, the ground rumbled.

Beyond Thunderdome was awful in regards to the story. The pageantry and Thunderdome fight scene in particular made up for some of the weaker storytelling, but the entire storyline felt forced around those few key scenes. The Road Warrior was the best by far.

i can definitely understand thinking that the diversion to the desert tribe was a mistake, but i think the rest of the movie more than makes up for it. i don't even think the kids are that bad. the "'member this?" scene specifically is great.

i can also understand feeling like the way the movie brings Max back to Bartertown for the conclusion (and to Jedediah) is too contrived, but i don't see that as a huge problem and Bartertown is such a great setting that i'm happy to go back there for whatever reason.

as an aside, regarding the video i also think the idea of Tina Turner being in a Mad Max movie turns people off more than her actual performance and character, which i think were both excellent.

so much of the imagery that the general public associates with Mad Max comes from Thunderdome, and for good reason.

definitely the weakest of the series, but for me that just speaks to the quality of the series as a whole.

Back