fury road is overrated

?

• Total voters
Can you imagine the look on the gods faces if one of them showed up at the gates with chrome spray paint all in thier grill?

They would be all

<36>
Maybe your boring white bread chicken salad gods maybe.

i can definitely understand thinking that the diversion to the desert tribe was a mistake, but i think the rest of the movie more than makes up for it. i don't even think the kids are that bad. the "'member this?" scene specifically is great.
Don’t get me wrong, they are all stored in my DVR awaiting a rewatch! I didn’t hate it or anything. I feel like it didn’t come anywhere close to realizing its full potential. I suppose the movie would have needed at least another hour (maybe more) to make the story as grand as the visual presentation. The trope of an isolated “cargo cult” people somewhat sheltered from the horrors of the current world is actually quite enjoyable. I absolutely loved Honest Hearts dlc for Fallout:New Vegas. Finding all the terminals with the story of the survivalist caring for the kids over the years in Mt. Zion, and how they reconciled their experiences with the survivalist with Daniels story of Christ is probably my favorite video game moment ever. I do feel like the execution of this scenario in Thunderdome was a bit... ham handed? I do understand the need for the adults to still have many childlike qualities being they have no typical adult role models. I didn’t mind it as a whole.

i can also understand feeling like the way the movie brings Max back to Bartertown for the conclusion (and to Jedediah) is too contrived, but i don't see that as a huge problem and Bartertown is such a great setting that i'm happy to go back there for whatever reason.
It goes back to seeming like they needed to force a story around a few key plot beats. Hell, Alien was conceived a similar way and it turned out one of the strongest movie series of all time. They just needed one more hour to fortify and flesh out the actual story and it would be the strongest of the series.

as an aside, regarding the video i also think the idea of Tina Turner being in a Mad Max movie turns people off more than her actual performance and character, which i think were both excellent.
Tina Turner did a fine job. They needed a charismatic high energy person for the role, they were truly lucky to land Tina Turner. She also fit with the dirty extravagance of the whole thing. She was perfect for the role.

so much of the imagery that the general public associates with Mad Max comes from Thunderdome, and for good reason.

definitely the weakest of the series, but for me that just speaks to the quality of the series as a whole.
Agreed. I enjoy most post apocalyptic stories. I believe Road Warrior will remain my favorite. And while I also love the series as a whole, Beyond Thunderdome seems incomplete, like it had a third of the story left on the cutting room floor.

People praised the things about Fury Road that deserved praise. No-one said it had a great plot, for example.

Wasn't overly impressed by it. If there is such a thing as too much action then Fury Road is a prime example, the choreography and stunts were top notch but it all got very repetitive and quite honestly a bit fucking boring after a while. My main issue really though was Tom Hardy. I know there are a hell of a lot of you romos in here who have a major hard-on for the guy but I just didn't buy him as Max Rockatansky, don't get me wrong he's a decent enough actor but he lacked the effortless cool of Gibson and just wasn't the right man to fill his boots. For me Mad Max 2 aka The Road Warrior is the only movie in the whole franchise which is a truly great movie, it's damn near perfect in fact and ranks as one of my absolute GOATs.
Tom hardy was like charlize therons sidekick for most of the movie

Favorite movie in the last probably 15 years. I like simple, but intense "chase" movies.

Its better on second viewing. Mad Max 2 is the best of the series.

I thought it was cool how they had the villain that played Toecutter in the original as the main one in Fury Road.

This movie demands a monster surround sound system. It is a beast.

images

The driving action was top notch. Tom Hardy sucked as Max, though. He tries way too hard to be quirky and different in a lot of his roles. Same shit with Bane.

Yeah, didn't like it much either. Big let down coming from the hype it got.

Back