BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER Reboot

She kind of was. She was a white valley girl with the whitest name imaginable. The show joked about it.

That was then, though, and times have changed. What was one considered white suburban preppy culture is more diverse these days.
Oh stop. It absolutely is checking the race box. Total SJW bullshit. Buffy was a ditzy blonde "Valley Girl" Cheeleader thrown into a crazy situation and growing and maturing. That's who Buffy was and that was the sprirt of the show. Now they will change that spirit, with a tough inner city black girl. Fuck Hollywood. How about you create something original and fresh for a black actress to play, instead of a rehash, like Annie etc

She was DEFINED by being white?
There are black people that live in places other than the ghetto.
And you guys are over playing her ditziness. It wasn't like she was a character from 'Clueless' or 'Mean Girls' for the 7 or so seasons the show was on.
I think we're confusing class with race. There are bougey, ditzy black girls in Southern California, believe it or not. It's not "white culture" specifically, it was much more a class and area culture.
The spirit of the show was a young girl getting thrown into crazy, supernatural world, and how she deals with it. The spirit of the show can EASILY be kept using any race or gender.

And are you in talks with Joss whedon to know this is going to be some sort of "hood Buffy"? Where are you getting that?
Even if it were the case...so what ? The spirit of the story is the exact same, but looking at it through the eyes of a girl living in a different part of town.
Inner city girl wakes up to find that she has powers and is a vampire slayer, and now has to deal with living this dual life. It's the same damn story with a different take

And lol at "just create new characters"

If they had auditions for the role, and the best actress happened to be black, i wouldn’t give a shit.

But the fact that they changed Buffy to be black, just because and don’t even have any idea who might play the role yet pisses me off.

this

Has anybody ever met a black chick named Buffy? Shit doesn't even make sense.

The name Buffy was part of the original joke. It was about the contradiction that the name "Buffy" represents as opposed to what she does. "Buffy" makes people think of tennis clubs, rich parents, and cheerleading type of shit. Then you add "vampire slayer" to it and THAT was the whole premise! That dichotomy!

Last edited:
I read like 4 responses and people are so triggered over Buffy being played by a black actress.

God damn, Sherfront never disappoints lmao

Dude it's not that she's black. In the original series they had TWO black slayers. So it's not that.

It's WHY she's black that's pissing us off.

And you guys are over playing her ditziness. It wasn't like she was a character from 'Clueless' or 'Mean Girls' for the 7 or so seasons the show was on.
I think we're confusing class with race. There are bougey, ditzy black girls in Southern California, believe it or not. It's not "white culture" specifically, it was much more a class and area culture.
The spirit of the show was a young girl getting thrown into crazy, supernatural world, and how she deals with it. The spirit of the show can EASILY be kept using any race or gender.

And are you in talks with Joss whedon to know this is going to be some sort of "hood Buffy"? Where are you getting that?
Even if it were the case...so what ? The spirit of the story is the exact same, but looking at it through the eyes of a girl living in a different part of town.
Inner city girl wakes up to find that she has powers and is a vampire slayer, and now has to deal with living this dual life. It's the same damn story with a different take

The black chick from Saved by the Bell was exactly like Buffy.

YES! Her name was fucking BUFFY! FFS

It's SJW bullshit and it's transparent as fuck. HOW can you NOT see that?

How about they hold auditions and the best actress gets the part, regardless of her color? How about that? Why aren't they doing that? You know damn well why they aren't doing that. Come on

I agree with you 100% on the above but want to pose a different question.

Even if it is pandering to a specific audience does that matter?

cleopatra-preview-600x350.jpg

The above is a 1963, to which Hollywood took ethnic characters and replaced them out with white ones to pander to its mostly white viewing audience (nothing wrong with that)

I could probably post 25X times the examples of this happening than what we see now with a few white characters being replaced for ethnics or women as the viewing audience changes.

PROBABLY 25X.

And yet no audience group cries more about than the group we see here on sherdog crying about it. They are far worse and more teary, demanding their safe space where this is no longer done any more, than any SJW. They seem to believe pandering is ok only if they are pandered too and they get very angry, and suddenly it must end because others are now being pandered to.

There is nothing wrong with Hollywood pandering. It means they are looking out at the changing face of the audience and changing their material to reflect that and to market to that.
For sure. I completely agree.
This is just common sense.
Who was writing, directing, and acting in all the movies for the better part of American TV and movie history ? Obviously white people. So everyone involved was usually white.
In 2018, we have more minorities in the audience , and more minorities behind the camera. Obviously , we're going to see more stories featuring minorities.
People are mad at change, and for some reason are taking these changes as attacks.

Lol I mean, how many mainstream shows have a black female protagonist? Are there ANY? And people are bitching about a "SJW Agenda" because there will be one!?!
<36>

Take established property
Insert black actor/actress
?????
Profit
Considering most young people have never heard of it, and black people think the original Buffy is stupid, yeah, there's profit to be made here. Untapped audiences.

I'm calling it now, she will have an asian friend and a gay friend and probably a tranny friend

fuck you hollywood. I HATE this politically correct climate we're in these days it's bullshit
You only want TV shows with white people and straight people. Got it.

Well boy do I have good news. You can buy the Carol Burnett Show Ultimate Collection DVD for only $249.99

You only want TV shows with white people and straight people. Got it.

Well boy do I have good news. You can buy the Carol Burnett Show Ultimate Collection DVD for only $249.99

Go back and read my posts on this page and you'll understand my position a little better sweet pea

YES! Her name was fucking BUFFY! FFS

It's SJW bullshit and it's transparent as fuck. HOW can you NOT see that?

How about they hold auditions and the best actress gets the part, regardless of her color? How about that? Why aren't they doing that? You know damn well why they aren't doing that. Come on
Lol What is a "black name" then ? Do you think all black people have African, or made up names like Lashantay and Deonte? There are plenty of black people with "white" names. I know. Because im one of them.

It's not an acting competition. The writer is interested in telling a story using a person with a certain look and background. They are not,looking for the best actor on planet Earth.
If I am directing a movie that calls for the actor to be Mexican, 6'3, or blonde, then those are the actors I will be looking for. It's the exact same shit.
They are intentionally casting a black Buffy because that is the story they want to tell. Lol so the fuck what?

Trying to push the race agenda again.

Shit is ridiculous these days. They remake Ghostbusters with a cast of women. They remake the Oceans movie with a cast of women. They look at a movie and say to themselves, you know what would make this movie better? More black people, more women and maybe add a disabled asian tranny.

They are trying way too hard be politically correct.
YEAH - we need the good ole days when only WHITE PEOPLE where on TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out this mug you can buy on Etsy. It's all about white people, so I assume you want one.

abb.jpg

They are intentionally casting a black Buffy because that is the story they want to tell. Lol so the fuck what?

Exactly. And WHY do you think it is that they want to tell this story, right now?

"Oh, the new Buffy HAS to be black. Doesn't matter if this asian chick or this white chick or this Mexican chick are a better Buffy....no. NO. She must be black this time around."

WHY do you think that is? Do you not realize when you are being pandered to? Do you not realize the pictures the name Buffy evokes and the dichotomy between that and being a vampire slayer was the original joke? Not only was it the original joke it was the whole freaking premise!

And it would be nothing at all like making a white Shaft, Foxxy Brown, or Dolemite. Those characters race was a big part of their characters. They were specifically from blacksploitation films.Dolemite was literally a pimp and club owner in an urban area. You could not just make that guy white and fit it into the same story.
You could easily change their ethnicity by changing their origins. The fictional kingdom of Wakanda is now located in South America and there is now El Black Panthero. The Amerindian hero fighting against unscrupulous logging companies.

Stacy Dash could have never pulled off Buffy.
Would have been a total miscast
5387423969bedd822346c950-750-498.jpg
<36>

Trying to push the race agenda again.

Shit is ridiculous these days. They remake Ghostbusters with a cast of women. They remake the Oceans movie with a cast of women. They look at a movie and say to themselves, you know what would make this movie better? More black people, more women and maybe add a disabled asian tranny.

They are trying way too hard be politically correct.
While for the most part I agree, Hollywood does have a "diversify" agenda, I don't think the character Buffy Summers' race is an issue. Her being a white girl in the movie and Whedon's show has no bearing on the actual character, just as her being black would have no bearing on the character. It is definitely not as important as Willow being lesbian, which was pretty central to her character: and remember, this was in the 90s and one of the--if not the--first openly gay relationships on television. Anyway, I'm all for a cute black chick slaying some vamps.

Exactly. And WHY do you think it is that they want to tell this story, right now?

"Oh, the new Buffy HAS to be black. Doesn't matter if this asian chick or this white chick or this Mexican chick are a better Buffy....no. NO. She must be black this time around."

WHY do you think that is?
You fragile snowflakes are hilarious.

WHY do you think that is?
BECAUSE THAT IS THE STORY THEY WANT TO TELL.
It has nothing to do with who is "the best". "The best" is not easily quantifiable when talking art and acting.
They want to tell a story through the eyes of a girl that isn't white.
Lol what is so damn nefarious about that?

How many TV shows have a black, female lead?
The question shouldn't be Why, it should be why not?
What is the big deal?

You fragile snowflakes are hilarious.

Is that.........is that your WHOLE reply? I don't usually laugh at retards but you need to get your fat ass back to the OT where I heard there is a football. There's a football in there. Go catch it! Go on! RUN!

Back