How did Panda Express become so popular?

I blame millennials, feminists, and pitbulls.

Don’t forget Obama and Tumpsters

It’s all a carefully engineered plot by the NRA in an effort to increase gun sales anyway

And 110% of them have probably never actually eaten the “authentic” food.

Only”authentic/Americanized “ versions.
Have lived in China for years and eat 'authentic Chinese food' every day, yet would still be content eating at Panda Express occasionally in the States due to its cheapness, convenience, large portions, and decent taste.

Last edited:
I always thought Panda Express was very low quality Chinese food you could only find at indoor malls.
But now they are out of the malls and sprouting everywhere like McDonald's.
There's literally a Panda Express in every city and every town all over America.

Do people really enjoy awfully bland Chinese food?

Yep even midtown Manhattan has a handful now. But I like Panda. It pretty good for a chinese mall hole in the wall joint.

It really is not bad. You can wait there and have them make everything fresh anyway you want. If you steam some stuff it is much healthier. And I believe they offer brown rice.

There is another chinese owned chain in the malls that serve teriyaki chicken, teriyaki beef, etc, etc. I waiting for them to get bigger like Panda.

I agree, it his flavorless and also costs more money than other chinese foods place. a panda express at a mall can run you 12 bucks a combo and you can buy a similar combo at another chinese food place in the same mall for 7-8 dollars.

I lived in China for 13 years. Sichuan hot pot is amazing. I ate Chinese food in Beijing, Shanghai, Zhengzhou, Guangdong province, Hong Kong, Sichuan, lived in Kunming, and can’t remember where else. I had a little Chinese food, yeah. Lots of amazing food in China.

Edit: Try eating yak meat hot pot with a big glass of homemade rice wine in Old Town Shanggelila. Yummy!

My dad and I drove from Kunming to Shanggelila (Shangrila) for 1 1/2 weeks. I recommend the trip.
Did you have the wood board bed with the little thin ass mat that goes on top of it?

That was the worst part for me, when I was on the drilling rigs in the camps (Great Wall rig company) we all had wooden bunk beds with the little mats.

Food was good in camp NORMALLY but sometimes inedible for me haha

Restaurant food there in the cities was different from camp food for sure though.

It's like asking why Taco Bell is more popular than real Mexican food.

It's like asking why Taco Bell is more popular than real Mexican food.
Because again, most people haven’t eaten real Mexican food.

At best most people have eaten Mexican border town food, which is almost the same as TexMex, which is what 99% of Mexican restaurant in the US are.

But “Mexican food” is had to simplify like “American food “ is.

Mexico is a big ass place and the food varies a ton from Ensenada, to Colima , to Mexico City to Villahermosa for example.

Taco Bell is American fast food with a TexMex spin on it.

Because again, most people haven’t eaten real Mexican food.

At best most people have eaten Mexican border town food, which is almost the same as TexMex, which is what 99% of Mexican restaurant in the US are.

But “Mexican food” is had to simplify like “American food “ is.

Mexico is a big ass place and the food varies a ton from Ensenada, to Colima , to Mexico City to Villahermosa for example.

Taco Bell is American fast food with a TexMex spin on it.

You're using a different definition of real Mexican food. I consider TexMex, CaliMex, etc. to be real Mexican food. These states were part of Mexico at one point.

You're using a different definition of real Mexican food. I consider TexMex, CaliMex, etc. to be real Mexican food. These states were part of Mexico at one point.
Yeah but when California Norte wasn’t separate from California Sur, and Texas was Tejas they didn’t have Taco Bell now did they?

<seedat>

It’s greasy carbs covered with meat that’s been deep fried and covered with sugar sauce.

What else do you need to entice Americans?

Yeah but when California Norte wasn’t separate from California Sur, and Texas was Tejas they didn’t have Taco Bell now did they?

<seedat>

I didn't say they did. I'm asking why Taco Bell is more popular in the US than real Mexican food aka the food developed by people of Mexican descent all over the US.

When I say Mexican food I'm referring the food from Mexican Americans. Not the food in Mexico. Similar thing to Chinese food. I've never been to China. But I know all about the food Chinese Americans eat.

I didn't say they did. I'm asking why Taco Bell is more popular in the US than real Mexican food aka the food developed by people of Mexican descent all over the US.
Which Mexican food??
Baja style? Further South Pacific side style like in Colima or Manzanilla? Central Mexican style? South Gulf style like in Villahermosa??

It’s fucking different all over, and wouldn’t even be recognizable to Mexican food for some compared to taco bell

Haha... My wife is Korean. We've eaten fish heads for dinner before, I kid you not. We look in disgust at your shitty Americanized cuisine. Fuck you.

Which Mexican food??
Baja style? Further South Pacific side style like in Colima or Manzanilla? Central Mexican style? South Gulf style like in Villahermosa??

It’s fucking different all over, and wouldn’t even be recognizable to Mexican food for some compared to taco bell

You're getting way off track. TS asked why Panda Express is more popular than good Chinese food. I answered by comparing it to Taco Bell and good Mexican food.

I always thought Panda Express was very low quality Chinese food you could only find at indoor malls.
But now they are out of the malls and sprouting everywhere like McDonald's.
There's literally a Panda Express in every city and every town all over America.

Do people really enjoy awfully bland Chinese food?
They got popular because they branded and expanded and franchised they left malls and have stand alone stores now, I actually love it.

Back