Hbo throws in the towel

Mayweather vs McGregor is Showtime's only boxing PPV in the last 3 years.

Im still reminiscing about george foreman beating joe louis in 1973. That that a fight for the ages.

I'm old, but it's the only reason I have/pay for HBO. So...

Damn, no more 24/7. That sucks.

Who will Bang! now?

This is honestly the only reason I'm sad about this, the 24/7's the atmospheric buildups to the fights, HBO made boxing seem like a movie. I'll miss Liev Schriebers dreamy voice narrating the documentaries.

This is sad. I wonder where will be the best alternative other than showtime. I hope showtime doesn’t become a monopoly even though network rivalry and shit like that can have a negative effect, I much rather like that than one network having absolute power. You guys think that dazn streaming shit is really an hbo replacement?

This is honestly the only reason I'm sad about this, the 24/7's the atmospheric buildups to the fights, HBO made boxing seem like a movie. I'll miss Liev Schriebers dreamy voice narrating the documentaries.
There's still room for 24/7, I don't know how much incentive they have without showing the live fight, but they did mention they were getting out "programming live boxing on HBO". I think that leaves a little wiggle room for something that wouldn't be as expensive as live tv. They still have the 24/7 series as they are doing the Tiger Woods/Mickleson thing and they have an Ali documentary coming up too

This has happened twice in my lifetime, first Tuesday night fights on USA and now HBO championship Boxing is done, lots of memories and great fights on Tuesday Night fights, they even showed James Toney and top fighters on the USA network and now HBO has taken a dump and the great fighters and fights on HBO is now done, well at least we still have Showtime for Boxing still until they are gone and everything goes to steaming sites like ESPN plus, or another network.

I dont care what anyone says.This makes me sad. Some of my best boxing memories was watching Boxing After Dark. Showbox really doesnt do it for me.

Well AT&T did just buy HBO and they are all about performance metrics. If boxing wasn't value adding then of course they were going to cut it. It makes sense too because most people buying HBO now are people who watch the in house produced tv series.

My guess is things will only get worse for boxing. I haven't looked at demographics but I would bet the majority of people buying boxing PPV's are 35+ years old.

There's still room for 24/7, I don't know how much incentive they have without showing the live fight, but they did mention they were getting out "programming live boxing on HBO". I think that leaves a little wiggle room for something that wouldn't be as expensive as live tv. They still have the 24/7 series as they are doing the Tiger Woods/Mickleson thing and they have an Ali documentary coming up too

I mean the boxing 24/7 I couldn't care less about golf or any other sports.

I really hope lampley lands somewhere nice where I can keep listening to him I grew up with his voice and it would suck balls never to see him again

This is sad. Knew it was on the horizon, but still. Even though jim lampley is a drama queen fanboy I'm gonna miss HBO commentary during big fights.
Same. I'll be sad if RJJ stops doing commentary altogether. That was my favorite guy to listen to of the bunch last few years.

Bring back USA's Tuesday Night Fights.

USA has wrestling now and i doubt they would invest in Boxing.

The best bet for Boxing is having it's own Boxing cable channel and charge a monthly subscription fee and have their own PPV. while showing old fights all day and fight movies also they could invest into MMA and get a contract with MMA fighters and fights, like Oscar is doing.

Osca could do this for his promotion company and set up his own Boxing channel and charge a monthly fee and have his own PPV, but he's got to invest the money and get sponsors and others to join and front cash for the cost and workers, this takes investors and Oscar might not want to do all of this if the investors want to high of a percentage of the money made, unless Oscar gets a loan to cover everything.

Ugh, I hate watching boxing on the laptop...football yes, but not boxing. Guess that slimly turd in the UK gets my money because I am not getting espn+

HBO won't survive only on showing Movies because there's other channels and everyone shows the same movies, people will cancel their subscription because they will no longer have anything to watch on HBO and most won't pay for HBO without their Boxing with HBO not offering any good series unlike Netflix. nobodies paying an extra 20 a month for movies they already have seen and HBO series that nobody watches. The only good thing HBO had was their great Boxing and now that's done their probably toast and Netflix who's been planning to get on cable might just buy HBO and change it to Netflix and charge their fee for cable and satellite tv.

Back