Hbo throws in the towel

Does this mean no more Jim Lampley? Please say yes.

2ivv04.jpg
Bang Bang Bang!

I guess I'll keep HBO for one more month, but once the Jacobs fight is over, they can suck it.

This is pretty depressing but the writing has been on the wall for a while now. Many a Saturday night was spent with friends watching good fights on HBO. Boxing will still be around on Showtime/ESPN/Fox, etc but not having HBO be there covering it will leave something missing. I really wasn’t interested in getting into the various streaming sites but it seems like that’s where things are headed.

I suppose if there’s a silver lining Harold Lederman can finally be sent out to pasture.

All they need is Lou Dibella again, he will things right..

This is pretty depressing but the writing has been on the wall for a while now. Many a Saturday night was spent with friends watching good fights on HBO. Boxing will still be around on Showtime/ESPN/Fox, etc but not having HBO be there covering it will leave something missing. I really wasn’t interested in getting into the various streaming sites but it seems like that’s where things are headed.

I suppose if there’s a silver lining Harold Lederman can finally be sent out to pasture.

They've been slashing their budget for years; this was only a matter of time. I actually thought it was going to happen sooner.

They've been slashing their budget for years; this was only a matter of time. I actually thought it was going to happen sooner.
Yeah the has dropped steadily for years now. It’s a shame back in the early to mid ‘00s it seemed like there was a top card on almost every week. Showtime was an afterthought and ESPN...fuggedaboudit

this is boxing and HBO simply going in different directions

Lampley is the only one staying with HBO after he calls his last fight with Kellerman, Jones or Ward. It's very sad,...a true end of a remarkable era.

I knew that this was coming eventually, but it still stings.

I've been watching their broadcasts since I was a kid.

Great news for boxing. HBO had been holding it back for years.

Sad! I guess we'll have the memories...

Yeah the has dropped steadily for years now. It’s a shame back in the early to mid ‘00s it seemed like there was a top card on almost every week. Showtime was an afterthought and ESPN...fuggedaboudit

I liked ESPN for what it was - Friday Night Fights was a good show to try to spot up and comers. I remember that's where I first saw Lemieux and Broner. But they never really put on big fights back then.

Maybe All Access can snag up Liev Schrieber (sp?) for narration. Personally I think their commentary crew is good and shouldn't change. Lampley got to the point where he loves the sound of his own voice; I prefer Bernstein who just commentates on the fight rather than worrying about saying the perfect line for a sound clip.

end of an era. and I am not exaggerating when I say that.

I always much preferred HBO to Showtime

This news is actually hitting me in my feels

So many years of great fights on HBO. And now it's no more.

What were some of your most memorable fights on HBO you watched?

Hopefully DAZN gets some big names out of this.

Back