And another one gone- Star Wars author Chuck Wendig says he was fired by Marvel over ‘vulgar’ tweets

valerie-jarrett-rosanne-barr.jpg

But she posted discriminatory tweet againt " Black" woman, making fun of her "black feature" which is fooking RACIST !

And Chuck Wendig is a SJW cuck.

Either fire them both, or keep them both.

Just going by the tweets, who did he direct them at ? If it was LucasFilm management and or owners then it is no surprise they fired him. It isn't surprising if an employer fires and employee who goes off on him/her.
Now I am not saying he wasn't justified, because I don't know the backstory on why he got soo pissed. But whether an employee has legit reason to be mad or not, and employer will certainly fire or severely reprimand an employee for verbally attacking them.

That's definitely a big problem they have, significant parts of Lucasfilm don't really have much respect for the source material, its just this vapid pop culture product they are selling similar to what Abram's reduced Trek to.

They should have noticed though that Rogue One drew north of $500 million in the US whilst going totally against this style and I think this was much more sustainable money relative to Abrams faddish cash grab. Its too late now though I feel, they've truly shit the bed and lost the good will of much of the fanbase that even survived the prequels.

It should have been obvious long ago that George Lucas wanted to shore Star Wars out as much as possible. But also, the Star Wars fan base is the fucking worst.

This guy just comes across like a fucking lunatic, very unstable indeed and you can hardly blame a family focussed employer distancing themselves from someone using language like that. As a guy who writes childrens fiction (star wars)he will undoubtedly have a lot of kids reading his tweets and subsequently a lot of angry parents.

I think what makes this stuff so egregious and different to Roseanne etc. Is that there is no justification or point to the language, it just seems like some weirdo, drunk guy angry at the world screaming insults whereas Roseanne was a joke that fell short and that other guy with the pedo jokes was trying to be funny a long time ago before we really understood social media.

I do think its time though that we all define freedom of speech and what should be protected, if someone feels that firing this weirdo impinges on his freedom of speech i could see their point. I personally believe that in the real world your words have consequences and you are responsible for how and where you use them and if you are a social media user with a public face and profile this applies double.
I think that is the appeal of anonymous boards like this one, yeah there's trolling and shit talk but anonymity means you can trully speak freely without fear of real world consequences and if discussion is more important to you than virtue signalling to your twitter followers it's a better option.

If this guy had a clause in his contract with Marvel that forbade him from expressing his personal political views publicly due to potential negative impact to their bottom line, and he was a big enough whore to sign it, MAYBE I could swallow hard and call this firing "justified".
He is literally insulting a huge portion of the potential (and actual) fanbase.

I find no fault in urging a wait and see approach to determine if the market actually responds, but you're the type of poster who gleefully revels in that time period not existing for people like Roseanne Barr, or insisting it doesn't matter in spite of the opposite truth in the case of Donald Sterling, so while I'm sympathetic to this argument, don't for a minute think I don't espy that you're hypocritically wielding it only out of selfish convenience.

there it is. the classic soy boy open mouth. adopting the most non-aggressive pose they can. like an animal rolling over and playing down or exposing its neck. they are literal genetic trash.

It should have been obvious long ago that George Lucas wanted to shore Star Wars out as much as possible. But also, the Star Wars fan base is the fucking worst.

Lucas was always commercially minded its true but I think you can clearly see that being pushed further in recent years, you have CGI yoda's hawking stuff in commercials now.

The Starwars fanbase of course is probably the largest of any pop culture work of fiction, at least in the west. This can both add and hinder trying to sell films to them, I think TFA benefited massively from it selling a seriously medicore film almost entirely on nostalgia. The problem though is I think this was a one shot deal, fans wouldn't put up with it for long and to make matters worse Lucasfilm seemed to deside it would handle its PR like politicians. They should have noticed though that the "politics via shaming opponents" has backfired massively resulting in Trump, Brexit, etc.

Just going by the tweets, who did he direct them at ? If it was LucasFilm management and or owners then it is no surprise they fired him. It isn't surprising if an employer fires and employee who goes off on him/her.
Now I am not saying he wasn't justified, because I don't know the backstory on why he got soo pissed. But whether an employee has legit reason to be mad or not, and employer will certainly fire or severely reprimand an employee for verbally attacking them.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter who he was going after. Companies are starting to crack down on twitter twats, period. Apparently this dude was a notorious spaz, who has been line stepping for a while now. He is a representative of Marvel at all times. I think companies are just coming around to the impact an online personality can have on their reputation. If they caught you saying this shit in public, you'd be done. Twitter is now being treated that way, and it should. It's a public forum that can reach millions and millions of people. You can't have a representative of your company spewing hateful nonsense all the time. Especially if it's a company with a very high emphasis on PR, like Marvel.

I don't think its too much to ask that adults act like adults. If you want to troll and spaz out like a retard online, at least have the courtesy and common sense to do it anonymously.

How difficult is it if you're a public figure not to spew all of the poison inside you out onto twitter? Is it the idea you're untouchable? Irreplaceable?

Because... you know... bla bla bla... freedom... bla bla bla...

Because... you know... bla bla bla... freedom... bla bla bla...
Freedom has nothing to do with it. Freedom obviously provides you the right to say your piece. Common sense should make you question not only if you should but when and where. As both sides love so much to say, freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequences. Also, people who make their living as a consequence of living in the public eye are subject to the fickleness of the public and should always remain mindful of that fact

I guess calling someone a racist is the new racism.

In a way it kind of is. The term gets thrown around way too loose these days; and in some circumstances it's a way for previously marginalized groups to exercise power. People accused of racism can lose their jobs and have their lives ruined for getting labeled as such. It's basically the new N-word for white folks.

Freedom has nothing to do with it. Freedom obviously provides you the right to say your piece. Common sense should make you question not only if you should but when and where. As both sides love so much to say, freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequences. Also, people who make their living as a consequence of living in the public eye are subject to the fickleness of the public and should always remain mindful of that fact

Yeah but "freedom" is always the go-to excuse when someone has to face the consequences of running their mouths.

Lucas was always commercially minded its true but I think you can clearly see that being pushed further in recent years, you have CGI yoda's hawking stuff in commercials now.

The Starwars fanbase of course is probably the largest of any pop culture work of fiction, at least in the west. This can both add and hinder trying to sell films to them, I think TFA benefited massively from it selling a seriously medicore film almost entirely on nostalgia. The problem though is I think this was a one shot deal, fans wouldn't put up with it for long and to make matters worse Lucasfilm seemed to deside it would handle its PR like politicians. They should have noticed though that the "politics via shaming opponents" has backfired massively resulting in Trump, Brexit, etc.

How exactly were they practicing politics of “shaming their opponents?” I mean, they weren’t practicing politics in the first place.

How exactly were they practicing politics of “shaming their opponents?” I mean, they weren’t practicing politics in the first place.

Seems quite obvious to me, criticism of these sequels is labelled as sexism, racism, etc.

Seems quite obvious to me, criticism of these sequels is labelled as sexism, racism, etc.

Well, a lot of the criticism was specifically because the lead role was a black guy, Asian girl, etc. So it’s not like they just pulled that out of their asses. Jesus Christ, this is what I mean. Star Wars fanboys are the absolute worst. You guys are a bunch of fucking incels. Thanks for proving I was right.

Yeah but "freedom" is always the go-to excuse when someone has to face the consequences of running their mouths.
The "freedom" portion of that only implies the right to speak whats on your mind with the expectation that the tentacles of government cannot single you out for censure because what you say may be critical of their policies and action or that they will assist or in some fashion officially abet those who would censure you for your speech. The fact that such coverage is believed to permeate all facets of our society is purely a civil construct and overreach on the part of the populous. After all, if you're "free" to speak your mind, then others are equally "free" to disagree with you and free to disassociate themselves from you with all the potential financial and social repercussions that might entail.

Violence on the part of the populous as a result of speech is an entirely different matter though.

The "freedom" portion of that only implies the right to speak whats on your mind with the expectation that the tentacles of government cannot single you out for censure because what you say may be critical of their policies and action or that they will assist or in some fashion officially abet those who would censure you for your speech. The fact that such coverage is believed to permeate all facets of our society is purely a civil construct and overreach on the part of the populous. After all, if you're "free" to speak your mind, then others are equally "free" to disagree with you and free to disassociate themselves from you with all the potential financial and social repercussions that might entail.

Violence on the part of the populous as a result of speech is an entirely different matter though.

I believe he was merely being sarcastic, and mocking people who make that argument whenever shit like this goes down.

If you're going to communicate that way, I feel like you need to be in control of your own IP to get away with it. If your fans read your books because of a universe you've created and control, then have at it. If you're depending on a larger brand to help sell your books, then you need to be mindful of how your behavior affects that brand's image. At least he didn't whine about it, but he really should have seen it coming.

Last edited:
Back