Gordon Ryan says that Luke Rockhold would "dominate most ADCC champions with ease"

rockhold is a great martial artist. its a shame he doesnt use his best skills and kicks from the outside every fight. you train with khabib and dc, learn some damn takedowns to get the fight to the mat

Yoel outgrapples Rockhold with ease.

Yoel could probably demolish Gordon Ryan under any ruleset.

Yoel outgrapples Rockhold with ease.

Yoel could probably demolish Gordon Ryan under any ruleset.
Yoel wouldn't last 2 minutes on the ground with Gordon Ryan or Rockhold. Gordon tapped Josh fucking Barnett ffs, who's 100X the submission grappler that Yoel is

There's a reason he didn't shoot any takedowns in their fight. He was scared to death of Luke's BJJ.

he would've smoked Jones at Submission Underground, which is why Jones ducked him

I remember this video from Reddit, pretty cool if anyone is interested.

His top game is one of the best for sure
What he was able to do to Weidman with only 1 minute after landing on back control was scary

I’d need to see Weidman on the bottom a few more times before jumping to too many conclusions.
But from that one situation, he was most unimpressive off his back and even more unimpressive when he’s tired.

But yes, Rockhold is scary if he gets top position.

Yoel wouldn't last 2 minutes on the ground with Gordon Ryan or Rockhold

There's a reason he didn't shoot any takedowns in their fight. He was scared to death of Luke's BJJ.
Yoel would probably throw both out of the battleground at the same time.

There's a reason why Rockhold stood with Yoel. He can't take Yoel down and he can't do shit on the ground to Yoel.

Luke is insanely talented.

Such a shame that he has a glass jaw.

gordon2.png
Wow, not hating but that sure is a lot of muscle on a small body, bicep shape similar to Borrachina

Doesn’t surprise me , lukes problem is he don’t shoot.

rockhold is a great martial artist. its a shame he doesnt use his best skills and kicks from the outside every fight. you train with khabib and dc, learn some damn takedowns to get the fight to the mat

It always amazes me that, years after the first big cross-discipline camp (Mo Smith, TK, F. Shamrock) people still arent taking advantage of the strengths of their camp-mates to fill the gaps in their games. Look at how Shield's striking never got better and the Diaz's TD/D never improved after years together. If I were in those camps I would 100% be asking my teammates to show me how to remove my weaknesses. AKA is another one where you have top strikers with shit wrestling and top wrestlers with shit striking and not a lot of improvement from either side.

Pick any of the top guys from AKA and you could say they have some of the best, if not the best, grappling in MMA.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

Let's not get carried away, take what Gordon is saying with a grain of salt.

Talking about ADCC rules, takedowns heavy, I have seen Rustam Chsiev handling Rockhold quite easily, and Rustam never gets gold in big grappling tournaments (very old match, but still)

You can see needle marks on his abs too.
Steroids are injected into the stomach? I’m completely ignorant about steroids and peds but that method sounds painful

Steroids are injected into the stomach? I’m completely ignorant about steroids and peds but that method sounds painful
After an accident, I had to get daily shots in my stomach to stop my blood from clotting. Hurt like hell.

Luke has some of the best MMA-specific Jiu-Jitsu in the sport. He might have the best. I'm not saying that he is 'the best' BJJ guy out there - that is inaccurate when people like Jacare and Maia, not to mention plenty of others, are in play.

But Rockhold might well be the best in terms of effectively integrating BJJ techniques into MMA, and making use of them in an MMA fight. First, his mount is terrifying - let's be honest, he wrecked Weidman's career and ruined his chin. Secondly, his ability to snatch submissions, particularly from MMA-specific scrambles and openings, is astonishing.

It's just a shame that he seemed to lose his motivation of late. Frankly I don't blame him. Absolutely murders Weidman yet the UFC forces him to take an immediate rematch because Weidman was friendly with management and they wanted him to be the champion. Weidman then falls out, and he gets KO'd by Bisping in a shock upset. Out for a year with injury. Defeats Branch, and then gets KO'd by an absolute monster in Romero. Given his long absences due to injuries throughout his career, his interests outside of MMA, and the personal difficulties that led him to leave California, it's been a tough stretch for Luke. His technical deficiencies in terms of his hands, leaving his chin exposed, and only possessing rudimentary offensive (as opposed to sublime reactive) wrestling, have also become clearer and at his age it's difficult to see them being fixed.

Regardless of what happens in the Weidman rematch, Luke is secure as a great MW.

Back