Lawler is a tough fight for Askren

If this is the same Lawler that destroyed and almost killed Rory Askren is in big trouble, if this is the timid post usada Lawler that got ragdolled by a former LW RDA then Robbie is in big big trouble

Talk about a brutal debut. I realize Lawler hasn't fought in a while, but he's known for having exceptional takedown defense.
You'd think the UFC would give him an easy fight against a striker, but then again the UFC and Askren don't exactly have the best history.

Who wins and how?

Lawler is not in his prime anymore, UFC needs to give Askren a high profile victory for his debut, and this is the fight. After that fight Askren will be in serious trouble, he's undefeated 18-0, two world titles, but he only fought two high level Welterweights (Lima and Koreshcov) the rest were 2nd or 3rd class fighters. The rest of the Top Ten Welterweights in UFC will put him to sleep.

lawler just got manhandled against 155 RDA
askren will smesh easy

Maybe Lawler that fought Hendricks and Rory. The current version is less than a shell

lawler just got manhandled against 155 RDA
askren will smesh easy

RDA sets up grappling with strikes. Ronda is a better striker than Ben.

This is a great fight to test Ben. Either he scores the takedowns and wears Lawler down for a sub or he's getting stuffed and ko'd.

Askren is a pretty small WW and Robbie is pretty big. Strength may help Lawler with denying takedowns.

I actually think this is a great fight for Askren. Lawler is very beatable and we know about where he stands in the championship picture. A dominating wrestling performance puts the division on notice and sets Askren up for an RDA or better.

I know they don't have the best history but I bet Dana would trade anything, including the best flyweight ever, to get rid of Woodley.

Perfect test for Askren to see if hes actually UFC champion level.
Agreed. It's a top 5 guy at WW who was a former champion and gave everyone hes fought lately a good fight (minus Woodley). If Askren cant beat Lawler then we know he won't really be in title contention. Its do or die for him.

Talk about a brutal debut. I realize Lawler hasn't fought in a while, but he's known for having exceptional takedown defense.
You'd think the UFC would give him an easy fight against a striker, but then again the UFC and Askren don't exactly have the best history.

Who wins and how?
bahahahah that is literally the easiest fight they could have gave askren out of anyone in the top 10 lol at thinking its a brutal debut. Easy fuckin money for askren and im a fan of lawler

This is the hardest matchup for askren for sure. Hes got balls, gotta give him that

since "ruthless" has lost the title he's never looked like the $ame person that went 20+ min w/ Rory 10 rnds w/ Hendricks when jonny was on Fire... T-wood took his Chin :( If u remember Robbie fought Koscheck @170 when he came back for 2nd UFC tenure.... He won the belt & defended! RN at this moment I think Askren would take him down at will; Robbie has had probs against ELITE wrestlers/Grapplers... I think GSP makes Askren look bad my opinion; His wrestling won't be the prob it'll be the LEVEL of striking and distance and Ben will shoot in outta desperation (low singles, knee picks, Etc) (toney vs Randy? ) GSP will stuff SOME of these TD's and Ben's mentally tough but thats his hardest match-up. BJJ vs wrestling? Maia vs Askren? Usman vs Askren ? Colby vs Ben? idk WHO KNOWS?! He wants Till bcuz he jus watched blueprint to beat him... Wish Kelvin was @ 170 ! Get George Lockhart for Kelvin!!!

You would think it would be a tough fight, but Lawler might not fight the same when he is constantly worried about getting taken down. This will not be a slugfest.

Tough first fight back from ACL surgery, a year ago. Askren by wrestlefuck because Robbie's TD defense is not as good as it was pre-ACL surgery.

Perfect test for Askren to see if hes actually UFC champion level.
Ill be rooting for Lawler but I see Askren making a statement with his style of fighting and his top game against a guy in Lawler who has good takedown defense.
People will be surprised with odds opener and Askren s performance but that's my opinion .

Lawler is a bad match up for ben, this one Will be intresting

Ben wins in boring fashion and acquires zero new fans.

I feel that a lot of people say Ben wins, but this is BY FAR the best opponent Askren will have ever faced, by a long shot

Lawler was taken down by Cerrone and RDA in his last 2 fights, that's not a good sign when you are scheduled to fight one of the best wrestlers in MMA. Also he's had some surgeries recently. I think Askren will take him down and win in his typical fashion, by slowly smothering his opponent on the ground.

Back