Men receiving toys as Christmas gifts

Fatt Hughes

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've noticed this increasingly past two Christmas holidays on my FB feed. Much of my millennial friends receiving toys as gifts from their wives/gfs. I'm not talking vidya games or consoles, which may not be too uncommon, but straight up playsets including Lego sets like Star Wars, pop culture plush dolls, funko pops, and other items of geekdom you'd expect children or teens to get for Xmas.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA5NC83Mjkvb3JpZ2luYWwvc3Rhci13YXJzLWxlZ28tc2V0LmpwZw==

To be clear, I can appreciate a good sculp action figure, and have collected in the past, particularly DC capeshit, but I keep my hobbies on the fringe. The only time I received a gift based on my fanboyism from my ball n chain was this.

61-n1OqPDrL._SX425_.jpg

And it's f'n awesome.

So what say the scholarly gentlemen of Mayberry. Is receiving toys for Xmas acceptable, not acceptable?

Oh, and as one would expect, the reaction pics on my FB feed from the gifts are similar to the expression from the pic below.

0gL4oxd.jpg

They seem happy, you seem to be pretty bitter. I would go with the happy option in my life.

You need to become friends with actual men.

Gotta play with something since theyre all MGTOW incels

I think it stems from grown men being very difficult to buy for.

Most grown men, if they want something, they just go buy it. So that leaves your woman with few options on what to get you.

My wife struggled with this when we first got married. One year year she actually got me a toy because it was something that reminded me of my childhood and they're was literally nothing I wanted that year.

We've now pretty much settled on her just picking out a nice shirt or something and getting that for me every year.

I've noticed this increasingly past two Christmas holidays on my FB feed. Much of my millennial friends receiving toys as gifts from their wives/gfs. I'm not talking vidya games or consoles, which may not be too uncommon, but straight up playsets including Lego sets like Star Wars, pop culture plush dolls, funko pops, and other items of geekdom you'd expect children or teens to get for Xmas.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA5NC83Mjkvb3JpZ2luYWwvc3Rhci13YXJzLWxlZ28tc2V0LmpwZw==

To be clear, I can appreciate a good sculp action figure, and have collected in the past, particularly DC capeshit, but I keep my hobbies on the fringe. The only time I received a gift based on my fanboyism from my ball n chain was this.

61-n1OqPDrL._SX425_.jpg

And it's f'n awesome.

So what say the scholarly gentlemen of Mayberry. Is receiving toys for Xmas acceptable, not acceptable?

Oh, and as one would expect, the reaction pics on my FB feed from the gifts are similar to the expression from the pic below.

0gL4oxd.jpg
and what did your wife/gf get you? Oh wait, you don't have one? Carry on....

and what did your wife/gf get you? Oh wait, you don't have one? Carry on....

A batman knife. It was in my post. It was a thoughtful gift, and that thing is surgical sharp and not very practical. I just keep in on my collectible shelf.

A batman knife. It was in my post. It was a thoughtful gift, and that thing is surgical sharp and not very practical. I just keep in on my collectible shelf.
you really think a Batman knife is any less dorky than a LEGO set? Just accept what you are and stop judging others based on your own insecurity.

I'm 52 and I usually get a videogame as part off my Christmas loot.

So. You've made a thread complaining about men having figurines and toys bought for them, yet you also collect figurines? Why u mad, bro?

You judging these people is a bit odd considering how close you are to being one yourself. What if your wife buys you one? You'll become everything you're judging just because she bought you a gift.

I think it stems from grown men being very difficult to buy for.

Most grown men, if they want something, they just go buy it. So that leaves your woman with few options on what to get you.

My wife struggled with this when we first got married. One year year she actually got me a toy because it was something that reminded me of my childhood and they're was literally nothing I wanted that year.

We've now pretty much settled on her just picking out a nice shirt or something and getting that for me every year.

Great reply. Receiving stuff that you're a fan of assured bet that at least you'll enjoy and appreciate and enjoy the gift.

I don't know; I agree with the OP's premise that it seems odd. I've always kept my worlds kind of separate - there's like the professional me, the dating me, the friends me, the shut in that plays Steam me, etc. However, at 30 in reflection, I see that keeping these facets of myself apart was probably not the best idea, though I'm hardly the only one I know who does it.

So, I guess good for them if they've made romantic connections that indulge that side of them as well. I don't really let women I'm seeing know that I just played like 8 hours of Soul Cal on Sunday or something, but maybe if I did I'd scare off 99 but find the one that would dig it - instead I just say, "I didn't do much".

Would be rad if I got something like this though - that'd be a keeper:

cheap-vegeta-dragon-ball-z-oozaru-ohzaru-great-ape-monkey-dbz-action-figure-for-sale.jpg

In my opinion it could also be we never had those toys or couldnt afford it in our youth so growing old we still play with it or want to play with toys. I have been playing Magic the Gathering for 23 years since I was 15. I also occasionally buy a nerf gun or starwars lightsaber. I also have some legos.

you really think a Batman knife is any less dorky than a LEGO set? Just accept what you are and stop judging others based on your own insecurity.
Tbf a Batknife could come in handy when you're bound by electrical tape in a closet while your wife ignores your safe word protocol as she's being piledrived by bbc

Lego was awesome when I was 3-7 years old.

I guess most of us go on to better things.

Every time I receive a tie, or socks, or a dress shirt for Christmas, I'm always thinking "Another year without the WWE Action Play Set. When will they understand that my request is not a joke?"

I think it will be fine. It could be another memory for the past.

I have been married for a year and went through Christmas day once, when she bought me one that I was half glad about. But recently I play with it when I am free and alone at home. Pretty much more fun than I expected. Lego is also a great gift to play with. You will think nothing when assembling and it means you wont be able to get out of it. Take a pic of Lego and post it on your feed and many will like your post then it will be gratifying to see whats going on :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back