max holloway has shown again jiu jitsu has major flaws

Dude do you even know what gym Max trains out of.

Gracie Technics.
I was about to say this is ironic since I’m pretty sure Max started out in bjj. BJJ is really popular in Hawaii

Max walked out with his BJJ coach Rylan right next to him. He trains plenty of Jiu Jitsu. And last I checked Max was a purple belt.

Stephen Abas (Olympic Silver Medalist) is a wrestling coach at our gym and he cross trains in bjj now and is currently a blue belt. Even as a blue belt his game rivals most black belts just doesn’t have as many submissions, his pressure is insane and good luck trying to scramble
This happens with me alot at my gym. Able to rival ranks ahead of me just because of this. Almost always get the takedown and just control top without taking a ton of risk. When I do get swept i'm almost always able to either roll into turtle and pressure a standup or simply pop my hips out in open guard and get back to standup (especially in no-gi)

Pure BJJ guys would be super well served to cross train in wrestling.

They have great ground games, but todays fighters have much evolved TDD.

I often wonder what would happen if we saw a legit Olympic caliber wrestler cross-train in BJJ, and achieve a high level black belt game. That would be seriously scary imo.

Ben Askren

I love how Ortega goes 14-0 with a bunch of crazy submissions and all of a sudden when he loses a championship fight, in the fight of the night, he sucks and jiu jitsu sucks LOL.
Yeah there’s been some weird anti bjj hate on these forums for a while now I don’t really understand

Old story tbh:

"8/10 wrasslin' + 6/10 bjj" guy >>> "8/10 bjj + 6/10 wrasslin' " guy

only bjj >>> only wrasslin'

It's 2018: most ufc fighters have at least somewhat decent (6; 6-; 5.5) bjj, and most of the time that's enough, especially to get by defensively.

Maia might basically be 9.5/10 if not a 10- (would bang, no homo).
Getting from an 8 to a 9.5/10, is multiple times are harder (/longer) than becoming a 7.5 in something.

Jon Jones: outwrestles Olympic caliber wrestlers
hlhoooorp6wwcsnqws6o.gif

Submits black-belts
Jon+Jones+Americana+Vitor+Belfort+UFC+152.gif

And is only a white belt I believe.

News flash..............................every martial art has its weak points. This is why people are mixed martial artist

Pure BJJ
Pure Wrestler
Pure Striker

Who has the most advantage? I'd say the wrestler.

Why? The wrestler will survive and neutralize the strikerof the BJJer. He wont finish his opponent but he controls and stays safe. That is why wrestling is the most important base.

Stephen Abas (Olympic Silver Medalist) is a wrestling coach at our gym and he cross trains in bjj now and is currently a blue belt. Even as a blue belt his game rivals most black belts just doesn’t have as many submissions, his pressure is insane and good luck trying to scramble. I just wish he would have started training consistently before he retired from mma and then we could have seen what your talking about.
That’s not really surprising though. Wrestling makes great athletes and has some transferable skills in the most important areas

Bjj isn't known for takedowns. That's why people like khabib.are doing so well. Sambo does have good takedowns, he's added aka wrestling takedowns in and has all the bjj he needs. Royce had horrible takedowns, as do most bjj guys. Damien would have won a title if he had wrestling takedowns and maybe some judo. It's nothing new.. Mma is about being good at all styles, and people who aren't get exposed all the time. Look at conor.. If he can't knock his opponent out he's fuct. If diaz had good tds he would have won both fights. In fact it was conor who took the fight to the ground in the first fight.. Which made him lose to a far better grappler.

BJJ is the reason there are so many wrestling based fighters.

Don't want to play BJJ? Learn to wrestle.

Don't want to play wrestling? Learn BJJ.

The last part is wrong. Don't want to play wrestling? Learn wrestling.

Why do you guys even entertain this idiot?

Ortega a victim of his own success, he won a few fights after other people shot on him or after he got a knockdown, none of these wins involved him initiating a takedown and then submitting someone. So, when faced with a superior striker with good TDD he really had no answer. It was a 145 equivalent of Woodley/Maia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back