TOOL $%^$ing TOOL

They released a new album in 2018.
It sucked. Sorry to say it but it sucked.

The last good thing Maynard was involved in musically was the second album of APC.

The only one from that era putting out good albums these days is Trent Reznor.

I actually consider being a TOOL fan at one point in time as probably the most embarrassing thing I've done and a huge waist of time.

It sucked. Sorry to say it but it sucked.

The last good thing Maynard was involved in musically was the second album of APC.

The only one from that era putting out good albums these days is Trent Reznor.
I liked a few tracks. Nothing is as good as the first APC album though.

Schism is a great song. But yeah, Tool sucks.

I just listened to those two songs posted in the thread. Fucking shite, both of them. They sound like the less memorable, less catchy, dragged-out-too-long songs from their older albums. The ones that nobody really likes or remembers. And those are apparently the two standout tunes? Yep, I'll skip this please. Not for me anymore.

Agreed. They lost their hunger. It happens to many artists. And it was apparent on the 10,000 days album, though that one was still ok.

I think part of the problem is that Adam Jones has somewhat of a limited skill set on the guitar. I don’t think he knows much music theory. And that’s not always an issue. But knowing music theory can give you a deep well to pull ideas from when you have none and when everything you write is becoming derivative of everything else you have written.

You can say “Hey, I’ll try this weird conceptual thing here”, and while it may not always yield a good sounding idea, there are many times it can. It can lead to a new cool lick or riff. Or just a new way of seeing the guitar which can spawn more ideas when the old ones are stale.

And that’s what their shit is sounding like. Like it’s stale.

Agreed. They lost their hunger. It happens to many artists. And it was apparent on the 10,000 days album, though that one was still ok.

I think part of the problem is that Adam Jones has somewhat of a limited skill set on the guitar. I don’t think he knows much music theory. And that’s not always an issue. But knowing music theory can give you a deep well to pull ideas from when you have none and when everything you write is becoming derivative of everything else you have written.

You can say “Hey, I’ll try this weird conceptual thing here”, and while it may not always yield a good sounding idea, there are many times it can. It can lead to a new cool lick or riff. Or just a new way of seeing the guitar which can spawn more ideas when the old ones are stale.

And that’s what their shit is sounding like. Like it’s stale.
it's not just that... the music has not aged well. Tool's music has not aged well at all. It's embarrassing now.

And I got the whole album on iTunes for 11.99 so not sure what price everyone is tripping on.

I’m guessing you pay a premium to get the physical CD.

Maynard knows his groupies will pay for it.

He was a genius to hold out on the streaming scene for as long as he did.

When you’ve got bitches willing to fuck no questions asked why even bother showering.

it's not just that... the music has not aged well. Tool's music has not aged well at all. It's embarrassing now.

I still like their old stuff. It’s better than everything else you hear played on the radio today. I still listen to Aenema and Lateralus. And even Undertow, though it is not my favorite.

I still like their old stuff. It’s better than everything else you hear played on the radio today. I still listen to Aenema and Lateralus. And even Undertow, though it is not my favorite.
yeah, maybe if you can't dance for shit. Danny Carry has the most undanceable drumming style ever. His jazzband was awfull.

Man, I thought the first reply was referring to a new Tool album, I had no idea APC released a new one. I'm looking forward to checking that out tonight! Thanks guys!
unfortunately, it sucks

13 years..........in that time period Tool's uniqueness became not so unique, and Maynard's vocal style mellowed. What we are left with is a really good jam band, still dark, still tight, still hypnotic, and thought provoking if you look deep enough.

Maynard has hints of his old self vocally, his vocal style back in Aenmia/Lateralus days were just as important as Danny Carey's drums and without those vocals you erase a key instrument in the band. Which is why people are missing the "Tool element".

Tool in 2019 is not Tool in 2006 or a far cry from Tool of 2002. That's the Tool we all want, and unfortunately if that's what they delivered we'd all bitch about it. Instead, if you don't like this album, just give "Hooker with a Penis" another listen.........hint: it's about you.

Back