Social Saturday is BBQ Day V3 - How big is your meat?

Either way I am doing it. I got a thing of baby back's. I like to rub the night before and let that soak in but I kinda want more of the rub to come off this time around. So not to burn when I fry them. So when I get up I will rub them down and let sit and get ready.

Will it work I have not a clue. Never done it. All they will get is a bit of seasoned flour and corn starch.

Now for the wood to use to smoke with I have Apple,cherry,hickory mesuite pecan and grape vines.

Grape vines are out of the question as I don't care for it on white meat. I am thinking apple and pecan for some reason.

On Saturday my neighbors had a seafood boil and I made shrimp/mussel/scallop paella. It was glorious.

Nice.

I've been making that a lot lately and playing with different variants. In particular using quinoa instead of rice to health it up.

The challenge with quinoa is that it is the greatest taste neutralizer on the planet IMO. You need 3,4 times the spices and flavours as you would need with rice to get a similar flavour profile.

True story :

I was chatting with my sister in law about it and she said 'it is almost impossible to impregnate quinoa with flavours like other bases'

I replied in my best Bronn voice

I have made it three times. I have also never had it made from some one who grew up eating and cooking it. To me it was just like a Jambalaya cooked on the grill.

Still real freaking good just could have got the same result on the stove top. Some thing's you just can't read a recipe and be like yea I can do that.

The rice and flavors are much different than jambalaya. It needs Arborio rice.

The rice and flavors are much different than jambalaya. It needs Arborio rice.

Like I said I never had it cooked or some who grew up with it and used Arbori (sp) rice. As it called for it. Legit I could not tell you but it was still fucking great.

Nice.

I've been making that a lot lately and playing with different variants. In particular using quinoa instead of rice to health it up.

The challenge with quinoa is that it is the greatest taste neutralizer on the planet IMO. You need 3,4 times the spices and flavours as you would need with rice to get a similar flavour profile.

True story :

I was chatting with my sister in law about it and she said 'it is almost impossible to impregnate quinoa with flavours like other bases'

I replied in my best Bronn voice

Every time I think of quinoa, I think of this commercial:

Anyway, quinoa needs tons of help in terms of finely diced veggies and herbs to taste like anything else than chunky cardboard. For my paella I added way more seafood than needed so it at least had some protein/carbs balance.

Either way I am doing it. I got a thing of baby back's. I like to rub the night before and let that soak in but I kinda want more of the rub to come off this time around. So not to burn when I fry them. So when I get up I will rub them down and let sit and get ready.

Will it work I have not a clue. Never done it. All they will get is a bit of seasoned flour and corn starch.

Are you smoking first then frying? Ribs are pretty hearty, so I'm not sure you'll break down the tissue very well by frying but I've never done it, just spitballing here. I'd even think about boiling first, pat dry/rest, then fry with traditional batter. Although this recipe looks good: https://www.thespruceeats.com/crispy-fried-ribs-3217435

Use a dutch oven and a candy thermometer for frying. You want at least 350* constantly. I do fried chicken at 400*.

edit: just saw you're smoking first. I'd smoke them until like 165* or so, then quick fry for some crisp. My chicken is sous vide first, chilled, pat dry, then fried.

Every time I think of quinoa, I think of this commercial:

Anyway, quinoa needs tons of help in terms of finely diced veggies and herbs to taste like anything else than chunky cardboard. For my paella I added way more seafood than needed so it at least had some protein/carbs balance.
haha never saw that commercial before.

Yup.

I mean you can throw curry powder or lots of soup base in the water and cook the quinoa with that but like you I like to cook my quinoa in basically a soup of fine chopped veggies. Particularly loads of garlic and onion and sweat and hot peppers.

But I have found a couple other cheater ways as well. I experimented with sliced olives in paella and used the olive juice in the water with the quinoa and another time I put a lot if diced pineapple in the quinoa and used the pineapple juice to cook the quinoa with the water. Both impregnated that bitch.

haha never saw that commercial before.

Yup.

I mean you can throw curry powder or lots of soup base in the water and cook the quinoa with that but like you I like to cook my quinoa in basically a soup of fine chopped veggies. Particularly loads of garlic and onion and sweat and hot peppers.

But I have found a couple other cheater ways as well. I experimented with sliced olives in paella and used the olive juice in the water with the quinoa and another time I put a lot if diced pineapple in the quinoa and used the pineapple juice to cook the quinoa with the water. Both impregnated that bitch.

Yep, finely chopped veggies and a hearty stock work very well. Pineapple seems interesting! I could totally see doing teriyaki chicken, grilled pineapples and quinoa with pineapple juice. That's a great idea.

Are you smoking first then frying? Ribs are pretty hearty, so I'm not sure you'll break down the tissue very well by frying but I've never done it, just spitballing here. I'd even think about boiling first, pat dry/rest, then fry with traditional batter. Although this recipe looks good: https://www.thespruceeats.com/crispy-fried-ribs-3217435

Use a dutch oven and a candy thermometer for frying. You want at least 350* constantly. I do fried chicken at 400*.

edit: just saw you're smoking first. I'd smoke them until like 165* or so, then quick fry for some crisp. My chicken is sous vide first, chilled, pat dry, then fried.

That is kinda the game plan smoke them about 1/2-2/3rds the way done then just a light dusting of seasoned flour / corn starch.

If it works I am hoping for something similar to smoked chicken wings but with ribs instead lol.

So wont take before pics as I forgot and no need really plain jane average run of the mill baby back ribs.

rubbed down at 830 am.
hit the smoker around 1230-1 pm give or take on the smoker to hit temp
?-when ever they hit half way maybe 2/3rds given on how they look and feel
A light dusting and a bath in the fryer and a quick splash off bbq sauce and I hope I hit money.

With pork I use the same thing for ribs or shoulder and butt. Its a wet rub. Its typical southern style dry ingredients then with oyster sauce fish sauce and Japanese soy sauce. Hasn't done me wrong yet.

So wont take before pics as I forgot and no need really plain jane average run of the mill baby back ribs.

rubbed down at 830 am.
hit the smoker around 1230-1 pm give or take on the smoker to hit temp
?-when ever they hit half way maybe 2/3rds given on how they look and feel
A light dusting and a bath in the fryer and a quick splash off bbq sauce and I hope I hit money.

With pork I use the same thing for ribs or shoulder and butt. Its a wet rub. Its typical southern style dry ingredients then with oyster sauce fish sauce and Japanese soy sauce. Hasn't done me wrong yet.

More interested in that wet rub stuff. How do you apply it after the dry rub? Does the meat just soak in it before you throw on the smoker?

More interested in that wet rub stuff. How do you apply it after the dry rub? Does the meat just soak in it before you throw on the smoker?

Its not so much as a wet rub more like a paste. Mix all the dry stuff then the wet. Mix them all together and then just paint the meat with it. Is traditional not really but I fell in love with when I started cooking and no one has complained about it.

Right now I am winging every thing aside from my smoker and fryer lol. I don't really know how the end result is gonna be. Good bad if bad we can get take out if need be.

Not to toot my own horn but it also makes a nice bronze color to go along with the smoke ring. In a bit, wind wants to keep trying to smother my smoker out lol

So a 140 in we look like this

H7B0PcN.jpg

Then dust and get this.

qGziRcz.jpg

fry and look like shit but they are not burnt just lighting in my joint.

SsWOJN6.jpg

and then home made bbq sauce.

2ez4TOv.jpg

The verdict is out if its worth the extra work. Two people said yes Two said not really and one couldn't decide like she always does lol.

So I got bent over pretty aggressively yesterday at a vending event... brutal! I was doing an event where the organizer said it was supposed to be 3000+ Marines at the event (some kind of suicide awareness event), so I smoked up 145 Lbs of pork butts to try and serve and many people as possible. God damned event was a washout and they had about 125 people come through that event in the 4 hours I was setup to serve lunch. The woman running the event came out and gave us $10 of "token money" because she felt so bad for us being out there and having nobody to serve. I served about 25Lbs of Pulled Pork and that was it...so I've got over 100Lbs of pulled pork in my refrigerator right now.

I hate serving "left-over" meat, but I kept all the pork butts whole, and they reheat very well. All in I lost a couple of hundred bucks on the event, but I should be able to recoup all that money on Friday with my next event. On a positive note my new smoker kicked ass and took names...took about 30Lbs of charcoal cooking between 215-235° for roughly 12 hours to get all the meat nice and tender.

If I do it again I am going longer on the smoker as they were not as tender as I would like them.
So I got bent over pretty aggressively yesterday at a vending event... brutal! I was doing an event where the organizer said it was supposed to be 3000+ Marines at the event (some kind of suicide awareness event), so I smoked up 145 Lbs of pork butts to try and serve and many people as possible. God damned event was a washout and they had about 125 people come through that event in the 4 hours I was setup to serve lunch. The woman running the event came out and gave us $10 of "token money" because she felt so bad for us being out there and having nobody to serve. I served about 25Lbs of Pulled Pork and that was it...so I've got over 100Lbs of pulled pork in my refrigerator right now.

I hate serving "left-over" meat, but I kept all the pork butts whole, and they reheat very well. All in I lost a couple of hundred bucks on the event, but I should be able to recoup all that money on Friday with my next event. On a positive note my new smoker kicked ass and took names...took about 30Lbs of charcoal cooking between 215-235° for roughly 12 hours to get all the meat nice and tender.

I am not a commercial bbq guy like you and Mass but that doesn't sound bad 30lb for 12 hrs. Now is that with wood as well or just straight charcoal?

So a 140 in we look like this

H7B0PcN.jpg

Then dust and get this.

qGziRcz.jpg

fry and look like shit but they are not burnt just lighting in my joint.

SsWOJN6.jpg

and then home made bbq sauce.

2ez4TOv.jpg

The verdict is out if its worth the extra work. Two people said yes Two said not really and one couldn't decide like she always does lol.

I'd say you should pull them closer to 160 or 165 to get a bit more connective tissue to render, just past the stall. Otherwise, it's fun to play!

Back