Media Conor McGregor Shows Off New Striking Style on The Pads (footage)

• Thread starter Deleted member 545701
  • Start date
His feet look light again, he's bouncing around. When he fought Khabib he was so flat footed, like he was really stuck in mud.

He has to keep is hands up. Cerrone ends breaks with high kicks out of nowhere. He is actually better at hitting these on southpaws. The one thing he does better against southpaws. If Conor pulls out of engagements with his hands down as usual and he will go to sleep.

Last edited:
Floyd is his daddy. And Conor have learned from his dad to keep his hands up.

Thinking about it... I guess khabib also made him rethink it after that fast overhand he dropped Conor with.
Frode I'm a high level striker myself and I don't see this being a good iteration of Conor. I don't think anyone should shift so far from what made them successful. Conor's karate stance complimented his strengths better. He fought longer and put pressure on with the straight left moving forward and and used his counter left for incoming traffic. These hooks, uppercuts and more classic boxing stance from Conor will be to his determent. He is not Canelo where adjustments will change his career. He was far enough ahead the rest of his peers with his old style that such an overhaul was not necessary and has been to his determent. I still think he has enough to beat Cowboy but moving forward I see him getting flatlined if he were to even take on someone like Jorge.

He has to keep is hands up. Cerrone ends breaks with high kicks out of nowhere. He is actually better at hitting these on southpaws. The one thing he does better against southpaws. If Conor pulls out of engagements with his hands down as usual and he will go to sleep.
Conor's length >>> His new classic hunched over boxing.

His strengths before were popping in and out and staying out of range so he wouldn't have to block punches. This is not a boxing match and he is not a professional boxer.

His hooks and uppercuts are often well timed but lack the stopping power of his left cross and are wasted energy.

Not sure if serious?

In a mma fight?? Dam right right I am serious. How many of K1's greats have come over and got flat lined unconscious lol. Buakaw on his own terms nearly got knocked out by Amade a mid tier mma fighter who's a coach, Amade had him dropped, hurt and wobbled the first half of the fight. It's the same story, Conor would beat him in mma using his striking and would lose in a MT or kickboxing bout. Different rules and different sport. A lot of the things that Buakaw does well in his domain don't really work so well in mma.

12 pages?

Conor is irrelevant Confirmed.

{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}

12 pages?

Conor is irrelevant Confirmed.

{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}{<Mcgoat}

If he loses to Cowboy it's all over.

Nervous time to be a Conor fan.

Cowboy has a sharp jab and that right hook is gonna leave him open for the counter jab also make it easier for cowboy to move in and get his Thai clinch

Range is everything for Cerrone.

Thing is with cerrone is hes never handled guys who pressure and fight well at boxing range.

Is it just me, or does Conor's extra weight make him look stiff, slow, and rigid?

Also the hugs and laughs and music he tries to have on the video seem to me more like Conor is trying to "convince himself" that he is relaxed and confident.

It also seems to me like Conor is becoming more of a traditional boxer, holding up a high-guard, than that long armed, loose-low stance karateka style he had before, with his chin up. For me, that long, karate stance ... and being very big for his weight at featherweight ... is what won Conor fights.

Conor used to have his own style, he did his own thing, and he didn't try to follow Orthodox boxing or anything else. Will holding a high-guard, and adopting a more traditional (and therefore predictable) boxing style make Conor more formidable ... especially at a much bigger weight?

I don't think so. I think Conor's magic in his heyday was precisely his un-Orthodox, self-determined style, when he just free-flowed, while extremely ripped and lanky, and HUGE for his weight. At featherweight Conor was super-fast, super-precise, and unpredictable ... and he was facing midgets compared to himself.

To me, the video showed me Conor's punches lack snap, and he is really telegraphing them, almost trying to muscle them, like a bodybuilder. Conor is no longer an authentically loose, carefree fighter expressing himself. Watching him train in this tape, he almost looks like an amateur, like he's "beginning again," rather than picking up where he left off.

Looking at his face and body language, unique style appears to be gone and so too his supreme self-confidence is gone. I think Khabib really did take his soul.

Not saying Cerone is the one to beat him, but Conor will get KO'd trying to be a boxer in a traditional stance with bigger men he has bulking up to fight against. He doesn't have the chin for it, he doesn't have the stamina for it, and he no longer has the speed and reflexes, either, if the above video is reflective of his current condition.

JMHO

Conor's length >>> His new classic hunched over boxing.

His strengths before were popping in and out and staying out of range so he wouldn't have to block punches. This is not a boxing match and he is not a professional boxer.

His hooks and uppercuts are often well timed but lack the stopping power of his left cross and are wasted energy.
Conor's length is average at 155, and is below average at 170. It's not even special at 145 anymore; Zabit, Yair, Kattar, Woodson (6'2" 79"), etc.

Is it just me, or does Conor's extra weight make him look stiff, slow, and rigid?

Also the hugs and laughs and music he tries to have on the video seem to me more like Conor is trying to "convince himself" that he is relaxed and confident.

It also seems to me like Conor is becoming more of a traditional boxer, holding up a high-guard, than that long armed, loose-low stance karateka style he had before, with his chin up. For me, that long, karate stance ... and being very big for his weight at featherweight ... is what won Conor fights.

Conor used to have his own style, he did his own thing, and he didn't try to follow Orthodox boxing or anything else. Will holding a high-guard, and adopting a more traditional (and therefore predictable) boxing style make Conor more formidable ... especially at a much bigger weight?

I don't think so. I think Conor's magic in his heyday was precisely his un-Orthodox, self-determined style, when he just free-flowed, while extremely ripped and lanky, and HUGE for his weight. At featherweight Conor was super-fast, super-precise, and unpredictable ... and he was facing midgets compared to himself.

To me, the video showed me Conor's punches lack snap, and he is really telegraphing them, almost trying to muscle them, like a bodybuilder. Conor is no longer an authentically loose, carefree fighter expressing himself. Watching him train in this tape, he almost looks like an amateur, like he's "beginning again," rather than picking up where he left off.

Looking at his face and body language, unique style appears to be gone and so too his supreme self-confidence is gone. I think Khabib really did take his soul.

Not saying Cerone is the one to beat him, but Conor will get KO'd trying to be a boxer in a traditional stance with bigger men he has bulking up to fight against. He doesn't have the chin for it, he doesn't have the stamina for it, and he no longer has the speed and reflexes, either, if the above video is reflective of his current condition.

JMHO

Definitely not as ninja here. It seems he’s trimming the fat off his style to suit higher weight classes. I called his style of old “KarateBoxing” let’s hope that’s not entirely gone. This will be very interesting

He still looks sharp tho just not as flashy.

He looks too bulky again, I think he is much better when he is slimmer, his style is better for someone who is more light and agile. He looks like he has put on a fair bit of weight, especially around the shoulders.. he is gonna gas and wilt if he doesn't get Cerrone out of there I feel.

Back