Do you consider Usman more Nigerian/Murican?

nSJpep28ZFmyu_RE4b2XF2OtOH7KLTw1BadxbHhcLTo.jpg
giphy.gif

I give 0 consideration to anything about Usman.

Nigerian-American

He's Naija through and through.

He was born and partly raised in Nigeria. Came to America young with an accent. Not a real American in my book.

I'm African-American but my wife is from Nigeria. We have this debate if a person was born in America to two Nigerian born parents, would that make them African-America?!

To me a true African-American has roots in this country to the late 1600-1700's due to the Atlantic slave trade. Some of us even have native blood in us, so we go back further. Real Americans. We are America history. African American's have an unique admixture. Still proud to trace my roots to the Motherland, so don't get this post twisted.
Agreed. If your family wasn't in America pre 1960s then your not African American. You're ???-American.

It is good to be Nigerian, Mexican, Iranian... as long as you don't have to live there

Well he’s Marty from Nebraska

The Nebraskan Nightmare

So there’s your answer tbh

He’s the ufc welterweight champ .... I consider his nationality whatever he considers himself

He's Naija through and through.

He was born and partly raised in Nigeria. Came to America young with an accent. Not a real American in my book.

I'm African-American but my wife is from Nigeria. We have this debate if a person was born in America to two Nigerian born parents, would that make them African-America?!

To me a true African-American has roots in this country to the late 1600-1700's due to the Atlantic slave trade. Some of us even have native blood in us, so we go back further. Real Americans. We are America history. African American's have an unique admixture. Still proud to trace my roots to the Motherland, so don't get this post twisted.

There is no such thing as a real American. That has been your strenght for all your history, no need to be dumb about it.

He’s only pushing it so much for the niche. No one remembers his fights, so he needs something. It’s silly though. I didn’t like it when Marcus Davis did it, when Cain did it, or when Marty does it. Repping where you’re from is cool, but these dudes are ridiculous. The people from these countries would consider them all American, and so do I. Same goes for Izzy.

Take all his money and 1st world luxuries and lets see how long he survives in Nigeria today.

He'd do fine.
I've spent quite some time in Africa on my own as a clueless white boy and never had any problem.
My ex's dad worked loads in sub Sahara African countries and was fine for years.

He hardly speaks English.

Of course depending on where you are and so on, you can get in trouble.
Chicago has way higher killing % than Nigeria.

I've lived with a person that was born and raised in Uganda.
Had friends from Uganda, Ghana and Togo...

Actually a guy I knew from Colombia had way scarier stories.

He's fought outside the US in Chile and Brazil. You can pretty much guarantee he didn't travel there on a Nigerian passport and get a visa as a Nigerian.
He's American.

If he'd stayed in Nigeria you'd have never heard of him, he wouldn't have wrestled and he wouldn't be in the UFC so it's the US that made him.

But if he wants to say he's Nigerian then he's Nigerian. His name is Kamarudeen and not Kamaru after all, if you're fine with that then he can be from whichever country he chooses.

He'd do fine.
I've spent quite some time in Africa on my own as a clueless white boy and never had any problem.
My ex's dad worked loads in sub Sahara African countries and was fine for years.

He hardly speaks English.

Of course depending on where you are and so on, you can get in trouble.
Chicago has way higher killing % than Nigeria.

I've lived with a person that was born and raised in Uganda.
Had friends from Uganda, Ghana and Togo...

Actually a guy I knew from Colombia had way scarier stories.

Maybe he would, but he would also choose to be back in America even if so.

He is Americanized to the core (aka Naturalized.)

It's just not hip to call yourself an "American" or represent it these days if you even slightly left of center politically. But i digress, Kamaru is fully naturalized, but yes he can represent whatever flag he wants I do not really care.

Oh not this crap again, it always happens when humans have too little history to call on, it seems like the good buffer is about 500 - 600 years or more in a particular area and even then they revert back to saying they are from X country and their ancestors came from Y country.

It seems to be getting worse with some generations wanting to be so unique and now more and more people want a f'ing DNA test..........

More and more stupid people wanting to be unique because they really have nothing else that makes them stand out from the crowd, live in the present, we are all human and you can find commonality anywhere in the world if you just look past people's appearance and cultural trappings.

Maybe he would, but he would also choose to be back in America even if so.

He is Americanized to the core (aka Naturalized.)

It's just not hip to call yourself an "American" or represent it these days if you even slightly left of center politically. But i digress, Kamaru is fully naturalized, but yes he can represent whatever flag he wants I do not really care.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pu...s-homecoming-to-nigeria-after-ufc/8wx7xdj.amp

Here is how he sees it

Nigerians often wonder if these stars identify with the root they share.

For Usman, the answer is obvious.

They think because I’ve been in Yankee for long, I’m different. No, na Naija boy na em I be, original one,” he told Pulse Sports in Pidgin English.

This is why I had to take the name ‘The Nigerian Nightmare’ to let them know.

I have to do this for my people.

And Stipe used to carry a Croatian flag. Hundreds of fighters carry flags of countries they hardly even visited.

Depends what you mean by carrying the flag. He certainly wore the Croatian checkers, and sometimes also the Croatian coat of arms, on his shorts. But he never carried the flag into the arena at a walkout, or hung it up or draped it over himself in the Octagon, to my knowledge. And he never fought "as" a Croatian fighter — that is to say, whenever they show the little flag icon on screen by his name, or the insignia on the fight kit, it's that of the USA.

Back