Do you consider Usman more Nigerian/Murican?

He's American cosplaying as African.

What about Manuwa?

Born in the US
Moved to Nigeria at 3 years old
Moved to London at 10

The answer is, there is not one answer.

Just like any kid who moved a lot when they're asked
Questioner: "Where are you from?"
Answer: "Well, Texas until I was 6, Tennessee until I was 13, but I spent high school in New York. So, depending on the context of the question, my answer may change"
Questioner: "Ya, but where are you from?"​

Many of us who moved as a kid have experienced something like the above. And I would argue the question is more stupid than any one simple answer provided.

What's different here is that moving within a nation removes the Nationalism emotional aspect. Because of Nationalism, asking about someone who was born elsewhere - and often even parents or grandparents who were born elsewhere - emotions start running high. For the dumbest of reasons.

TLDR: if he votes in American elections as a citizen and also shows pride in a Nigerian flag, only a real asshole would question or get upset over it.

Last edited:
Only person that's dumb is your mother for having you.

Don't be jealous because of our rich history. Like some, of course you're insecure because if you weren't you would simply be celebrating your own history instead of trying to tear down others. I can tell by the way think that you aren't very bright.

My last and only response to you.
His answer is somewhat right in the sense that, there is not one answer to what a real American is.

• Mayflower descendants: real American
  • Scotch-Irish 'hillbilly' descendants from indentured servants: real American
  • Descendants of Mississippi slaves: real Americans
  • Immigrant that was sworn in yesterday: real American (but with a rich background that probably doesn't include a white picket fence in Springfield.)
  • Japanese-Americans who were interned during WWII: real Americans
  • Folks who fought to intern Japanese Americans but not German Americans during WWII: real Americans
  • Gays: real Americans
  • Christians: real Americans
  • Wiccans: real Americans
  • And most everything in between, as long as one has citizenship: real American

You say the other poster is insecure and "trying to tear down others". I would argue that some of the worst Americans are doing the same thing by trying to question - or limit - whether other citizens should be considered "real" Americans because they don't fit into a specific box. I am not accusing you of this, so you don't need to get defensive. Cheers.

Last edited:
Don't be jealous because of our rich history.

Dude I am Italian. Shut the fuck up about history.

There is exactly no point in behaving like you did something someone else entirely did. History needs to be studied, not celebrated.

As someone who's born to immigrant parents and grew up bilingual and travelled a lot to my family's home country, I can definitely relate to not identifying fully with either nationality. But I think it's more natural to wanna make your parents proud and pay homage to your heritage. For some reason that seems to rub Americans the wrong way. But how would they know what it feels like if they're not immigrants (or 2nd gen immigrants) themselves? Am I supposed to identify more with my friends and collegues than my actual family?

The simple truth is he's both, and it's totally fine to rep your heritage over your country of residence and still feel proud of both. It doesn't make you a traitor or a fake whatever. Get over it people. In the end we're all just people.

Last edited:
Great post @HatKick. But here's the thing:

As someone who's born to immigrant parents and grew up bilingual and travelled a lot to my family's home country, I can definitely relate to not identifying fully with either nationality. But I think it's more natural to wanna make your parents proud and pay homage to your heritage. For some reason that seems to rub Americans the wrong way. But how would they know what it feels like if they're not immigrants themselves? Am I supposed to identify more with my friends and collegues than my actual family?

The simple truth is he's both, and it's totally fine to rep your heritage over your country of residence and still feel proud of both. It doesn't make you a traitor or a fake whatever. Get over it people. In the end we're all just people.
Few people get upset when an Irish-American does it.

Born in Nigeria and raised there for his first years.

10736874_kamaru3_jpegfa5c3247a66337ffff27d10975ccd6af

In my opinion Nigerian champ.

What does this even mean? You gonna pour out your little wrath because America was good enough to let you into our country? Sit down, dumbass. You should be grateful that you have a pot to piss in.

Ethnically he’s Nigerian. In terms of nationality, he’s American. Culturally he’s a little bit of both.

What does this even mean? You gonna pour out your little wrath because America was good enough to let you into our country? Sit down, dumbass. You should be grateful that you have a pot to piss in.
I am not sure what he means.
He has fought guys from Brazil and Norway and whatnot.
Maybe he was bullied or felt as an outsider and has some built up anger?
I truly don't know

Do we consider this American more American or Nigerian? What level of xenophobia have we reached at this point?

Don't they call it African American? Or does that name only count for those whom were over for more than an era and from which the ancestors came in as slaves?

He'd do fine.
I've spent quite some time in Africa on my own as a clueless white boy and never had any problem.
My ex's dad worked loads in sub Sahara African countries and was fine for years.

He hardly speaks English.

Of course depending on where you are and so on, you can get in trouble.
Chicago has way higher killing % than Nigeria.

I've lived with a person that was born and raised in Uganda.
Had friends from Uganda, Ghana and Togo...

Actually a guy I knew from Colombia had way scarier stories.
Damn all these people talking about Chicago's murder number. It's basically at an all time low. You guys would have lost your shit in the 80s and 90s when there was 1000 or 1200 murders a year.

And you're wrong. Chicago does not have a higher murder rate than Nigeria. Chicago isn't even in the top 10 in the USA for murder rate. Hell it's not even top for Illinois. Rockford and East St. Louis has higher murder rates (homicides per 1000 people).It just leads the country in number of murders but keep in mind it's the 3rd most populated area in America.

So basically you're wrong.

St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Memphis, Dayton (OH), Shreveport (LA), west palm beach (FLA), and DC have the top 10 highest murder rates.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/pictures/murder-map-deadliest-u-s-cities/

Last edited:
I honestly never even spend one second thinking about it.

Don't they call it African American? Or does that name only count for those whom were over for more than an era and from which the ancestors came in as slaves?
Usman would be a Nigerian American, not an African American.
Just like I would be a Danish American, not a European American (if I moved to America)

EDIT: Well I guess he would be an African American too if you refer to people who immigrated from an African country, but not as in the normal sense of black people in US who go way back

Last edited:
Nationalism and all other forms of tribalism are amoral and a societal evil.

If he says he’s Nigerian, then he’s Nigerian. Even though he immigrated at 9-10, he probably grew up in a Nigerian home with Nigerian language, and culture, in general.

I am now Nigerian. Why? Because I said so.

Back