Recent fights/results/news from ONE Championship

Such as? I'm not sure I've seen a great MT fight outside of the Thai Circuit.

There's a bias to anything that has pre fight video packages, ramps, screaming announcers, and other forms of artifice. You'll think what your watching is great even if it's not. I was told Rodtang vs Haggerty 1 was some monumental fight, though it was far from it. It was an action Thai against a game foreigner (this is the key; OMG A WHITE GUY!!!!) that ended up being a solid fight.

Yet this platform (ONE) hasn't produced a legitimately good fight or influenced the fighters to use supposed newly unrestricted techniques. They're less engaged in ONE than they are in the stadiums, just as it often is when they fight abroad in whatever promotion. These fights have little meaning to their reputations in Thailand, so basically they're just on vacation. For so long we were hearing Jay go on about science lab Superlek against white dudes -- and when it happens, the fights are dreadful. Why? Cause it's a trip.

I'm saying it's sadistic in that in his ideal world he would hope for the crumbling of the sport just so the best Thais could fight 3 times a year in bullshit fights in a promotion that that could just as well go away at any time.

“on vacation” tell that to Sangmanee

Somebody from ONE/GLORY has signed Raul Cătinaș. His coach now is Mike Polanen, but after Mohammed Balli went to sign with Glory instead in Asia, it is not sure he will be with ONE. GLORY could have snatched him instead. Tarik Khbabez and Ismael Londt (also at ARJ Trainingen) are with ONE.

My pick is that Cătinaș signed with Glory instead. There would be too many heavyweights from the same gym in Asia. Maybe they will drop Bogdan Stoica, and even Andrei Stoica to 95 kg, together with Ibrahim El Bouni. It would be wise to do it now. And keep the HW with Kryklia, Londt and Khbabez.

This isn't true. Few foreigners bear the grind of living as a fighter, and a grand total of zero have done so while having the pressures of being elite at a premier weight.
What are your thoughts on Umeno and Kaito?

@Cocakillbana

This is written exactly how Jongsanan talks so there is absolutely zero chance this was written by a ONE employee. Straight from the heart.

#ReturnOfTheGoldenEra

If you look at 2 of the most sucessful foreign fighters from the last few years Rafi and yousef neither are particularly naturally talented or gifted. The got to where they are through hard work and dedication. How many fights did yousef win in the stadiums from just wanting it more and being better conditioned.

And there are lots of Thais who are no different.

This is the white guy in basketball thing. "He's a real a scrapper and works so hard!" As if the black players don't?

it might’ve not been written by one marketing people but I doubt Jongsanan just voluntarily posted that out of the kindness of his heart. it does sound like a press release.

overall I like One but I’m not nearly as excited with it as Jongsanan is. The argument about infrastructure is true - one might just vanish overnight; also the dance-off rounds barely amount to wasted time as it ensures that the fighters will be available sooner for next fight. One is making 3 round fights... in Thailand guys take the last minute off where otherwise they could’ve been hopelessly swinging for a KO that is not coming, then they fight again next month.

the gambling issue is a complex subject. IMO by crooked lines it does more good than harm as it ensures hardcore booking of competitive matchups which is a huge issue in combat sports. Muay Thai in Thailand is the only environment that I know where the best fighters fight each other across multiple weight classes. Does it have bad effects elsewhere? Yes. Is it ruining the sport? I doubt.

@Cocakillbana

This is written exactly how Jongsanan talks so there is absolutely zero chance this was written by a ONE employee. Straight from the heart.

#ReturnOfTheGoldenEra

This is absolutely an advertisement. Is it not a running joke that ONE is pathetic with their promotion?

And what's so special about ONE events relative to stadium cards? Stop pretending these events and fights are better (or even particularly good) just because people yell at you about it.

And there are lots of Thais who are no different.

This is the white guy in basketball thing. "He's a real a scrapper and works so hard!" As if the black players don't?
There are loads of great foreign fighters these days. I just picked yousef and rafi. Yousef hasn't lost in six years to a thai fighter. That is not just being a scrapper.

This is absolutely an advertisement. Is it not a running joke that ONE is pathetic with their promotion?

And what's so special about ONE events relative to stadium cards? Stop pretending these events and fights are better (or even particularly good) just because people yell at you about it.
So nong-o vs saempatech wasn't a good fight. Also production quality is important especially if you are watching it on tv as opposed to being there.

Maybe but you have as much evidence for this claim as I have to claim you somehow benefit from the stadium gambling community and that's the reason why you seem suspiciously defensive.

We know for sure years ago Samart made similar claims. Was that for ONE promotion also?

And what's so special about ONE events relative to stadium cards?
Not as much dancing around fighting the way gamblers want them to which puts off many potential viewers. The fact that gambling opens doors to many fixed fights. The fact that fighters don't seem to get as much attention in the stadiums.

The sport in Thailand has been dying for a while. Its like hidden away in some unknown hole that only a small minority of fight fans tune in to watch like Khmer fighting. Shit even Lethwei occasionally does better and they're way less skilled fighters. Maybe nothing comes from the recent surge of Thai's in ONE but its the closest thing I've seen to some real change in a while.

The sport in Thailand has been dying for a while. Its like hidden away in some unknown hole that only a small minority of fight fans tune in to watch like Khmer fighting. Shit even Lethwei occasionally does better and they're way less skilled fighters. Maybe nothing comes from the recent surge of Thai's in ONE but its the closest thing I've seen to some real change in a while.

I was in Thailand for two months last year, September to November. There are gyms everywhere, every Sunday there are easily hundreds of cards across the country, most restaurants and bars not geared towards tourists played Muay Thai on the TVs (at least the ones I went to, and I went to a lot of them). I saw countless cards live, and the majority of the crowds were always Thai people. One Sunday a Dutch guy and I got up early, picked up some booze and went to four separate cards in the same day lol. Mostly Thais fighting, mostly Thai crowds. Soccer is growing there and less people compete compared to the golden age, but the sport is far from dying.

Also its called prize fighting for a reason. As much as i think one fc financials are a shambles. At least they are paying the fighters very well. Most of the young fighters would love to fight for one. The purses in the stadiums for top fighters are the same or less than they were 30 years ago. When the minimum wage was around 100 baht a day as oppossed to 300 baht per day now. Even they kept up with inflation they should be getting three times as much as they were 30 years ago.

I think it"s some insolvency procedure. But it"s bad for your image, it"s associated with bankruptcy. Now wanting to trick things, it"s something else... But on the paper it"s affecting your image big! They are not a profitable company.

Let"s take Superkombat, they never had debts. That they stopped, that"s something else. Irimia keeps the brand like the Japanese. Glory not only loses money but also has debts, they are beggars at the state. It"s Showtime too like SK, but it was eventually sold to Glory if I"m not mistaken.

And honestly, how this company is running makes me think of the former Legend. Nothing can be ruled out. Even shady businesses.

Are there still tycoons to make clean money? Too few.

While I think ONE has and will continue to put on Muay Thai fights that are really good, I do not believe in the PR hype they have been putting out (like Jongsanan's post). ONE does not have the money to support the huge infrastructure that brings Muay Thai to the level it has risen to, and I don't think they are/will be making significant changes to the sport. The majority of the great fighters, and by extension the great fights, will still largely take place in the stadium circuit because of the simple fact that that's where most of the fighters are.

I think what ONE is doing is a treat for Muay Thai fans. We get to see our favorite fighters bang it out, and to my knowledge these contracts don't bar the fighters from competing in other events (Rodtang has had fights outside of ONE during his time there, for example). We get the best of both worlds, at least to me.

I like that in ONE it's just scored as a fight, like boxing/KB, the stadium scoring is strange with how some rounds are more important than others and they favour certain techniques over others. In ONE the fighters just go for it.

it might’ve not been written by one marketing people but I doubt Jongsanan just voluntarily posted that out of the kindness of his heart. it does sound like a press release.
I was being sarcastic. I've heard Jongsanan talk in person, he talks nothing like that LOL...

That post has reached potentially billions of viewers...

You never answered my question about Sangmanee vs Kulabdam. Certainly ONE has some great fights and fighters, even if it may not be The Return of the Golden Era.

I mean, haven't you for years been salty about the lack of real stadium Thai's getting opportunities in these global promotions?

Back