Ever Had A Rival?

Rivalry demands that I see someone as an equal or a threat!

I don’t care enough to consider this concept you speak of...

I've had people that considered myself, a rival. High school sports, people that I worked with. Can't say I really felt the same way. Uh, there was this kid that lived on my block, Bert Oliver. He was two years older. He generally hated everyone, but he had a special place in hell, for me. To this very day, I can't tell you why. He never had the guts to sock me. It was chronic annoyance. My name is David. So typically, he'd follow me and whine, "David Gayvid", repetitively. He'd look at me and make sour faces. His favorite insult, was to call me, a "bun". I really don't know what that is, or meant. Stuff like that...

One day, a kid on the block got a Slip 'N Slide. Everyone was there. It was quite the event. There were chips, cans of soda, a cooler with twin pops... Fantastic hosting. Bert shows up. The mother of the kid, with the Slip 'N Slide, insisted that Bert be allowed to hangout. The dickishness ensued. The mother was inside, so she didn't see his antics, nor wanted to be bothered about it. The soaps were probably on. Bert gets in line behind me. He does his "David Gayvid" routine. Then, out of nowhere, he drops his trunks, turns around, and spreads his cheeks. He gyrated and went "Reeeer! Reeeer!" I was highly puzzled. Then, one of kids pointed out how he didn't wipe well. He stuck his fingers in his crack, and observed the evidence. Most of us were cracking up. The crowd had a few people that were disgusted. One girl cried. He pulled up his trunks, got on his bike, and left.

Outside of school, he was kind of a hermit, after that. His life became a living hell. Well, about a much as a living hell can be, for your average 9 yr. old. He got ribbed everyday, for the rest of the two years that I lived in that neighborhood. I didn't join in, though. I never really had hard feelings towards the guy.

Last edited:
Not really. I get on with the vast majority of people so developing rivalries isn't something that I really did. But, of course, there are individuals in this world who take a disliking to you for no apparent reason & one such individual was a fighter by the name of Preston Jones who my first trainer would often have me spar with.

At the time, I was just starting out. I was just a novice who had only had a couple of amateur fights & he'd just turned pro. But there was no taking it easy on me on his part. He was scolded many times by my trainer & told to ease up but more often than not he'd just go back to taking liberties with me. So, every time that I sparred with him I got lumped up. Plus he'd talk shit both while we were sparring & out on the floor of the gym.

Now, in retrospect, I realize that my trainer was testing me like the old school coaches used to do. He wanted to see if I had any quit in me or if I'd complain or skip out on sparring but I never did. I just kept taking my lumps & doing my best to ignore Jones's taunting. Until one day, another fighter, Calvin "Pop" Porter took me aside & told me that he'd seen enough of the bullshit so he gave me some tips on how to deal with Jones. Which I began to implement when sparring with him.

There wasn't some miraculous turn around like in some ROCKY movie but I began to do better in our sparring sessions as I got stronger & gained more experience. In time, I developed a good body attack because #1) I was inspired by my favorite fighter at the time, Ken Norton, who always said "kill the body & the head will die" & #2) because "Pop" Porter told me that Jones didn't like it to the body. So, every time that we sparred I concentrated my attack on his body & the more I did so the more I began to back him up & get his respect. Until one day, I caught him with a perfectly placed left hook to the liver & I dropped him in a heap.

From that point on Jones stopped all of his trash talk & although he continued to spar with me from time to time, the dynamic of our sessions changed & he began to stick & move rather than standing & banging with me.

In an odd turn of events, he wound up being responsible for giving me my ring monicker because on the day of one of our scheduled sparring sessions I showed up late because I'd gone to the movies beforehand to see INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS. So, Preston laughed & began calling me a body snatcher that day in jest. But, like those things tend to do sometimes, it caught on in the gym & everyone started calling me "body snatcher". Which my trainer liked so during my next fight he had the ring announcer introduce me as "The Body Snatcher". So, from then on that's who I was.
And, yes, this was back a few years before Mike McCallum ever fought on television & made the monicker "The Body Snatcher" famous. So, as far as I'm concerned, I the original. LOL.

Given that Sherdoggers are gifted with amazing body, minds, looks and goals. There's gotta be a some competition that you faced a lot and might gave you some challenge.

From 12 years old to 26 years old there was a guy I fought over 12 times in boxing. And 4 times for the State title. Me and him fought so often cause he was one city over and when I did sanctioned ammys me and him always ended up against each other. I'd say he was my rival in boxing. But in real life me and him were pretty good friends.

Not really. Not that competitive. Just doin my thing.
I have enemies,not rivals.

Bert gets in line behind me. He does his "David Gayvid" routine. Then, out of nowhere, he drops his trunks, turns around, and spreads his cheeks. He gyrated and went "Reeeer! Reeeer!" I was highly puzzled. Then, one of kids pointed out how he didn't wipe well. He stuck his fingers in his crack, and observed the evidence. Most of us were cracking up. The crowd had a few people that were disgusted. One girl cried.

The lamentations of the women.

Should have given him the George Kee Cheung treatment.

MediocreEagerBlesbok-size_restricted.gif

I like how he braces and gives into the situation. That's gotta' be the fastest display of the five stages of grief, there ever was.

A rival? Maybe when i was still involved in competitive sports. Now I prefer the credo, "Competition is for losers", Peter Thiel.

I had two in wrestling.

One looked like the shoot from vision quest. We had 3 wars on the mat that i surprisingly won, guy was a beast and realiatically only one of those is a win. The others are technicality wins i dont count on a manliness sense.

The other ...3 matches in freestyle and one in greco. Although i won 3 of 4, i lost the first freestyle match against him and vowed to put him in his place.
Our last match was the tie breaker imo. First round i mollywhopped him scoring takedowns and tilts.
2nd round i went purely defensive and scorednoff his weak attempts. I wanted him to know i got so much bettee than him in every department that he had fuck all for me.

Ego..

You know the movie fight club? Kinda like that. Ive given myself some hard beating, but to be fair i also got myself a few times.

Back