Opinion Should It Be Illegal to Evict People

I'm literally responding to hear what you have to say, no need to tell me I don't want to hear it.

You just don't know what you're talking about. A cubic metre of concrete (30 MPa strength) is probably going to be around 140 CAD. You still need to form it and reinforce it. I'm not taking about any "trades people".

How big is your slab and how deep are you putting it? There aren't many places in Canada that you can build a slab at surface level. Everything will freeze. Even a simple slab will cost you 10 grand CAD by the time you're done- materials only.

Have you ever priced lumber? You'll still need a property to put it on, plumbing, and heating. You can live without electricity, but you'll need heat in the winter. You can spend a few thousand on insulation alone if you want. You could install a cheap wood burner if you want, but you'll still need to vent it, insulated pipe through the roof so it won't burn down, flashing so it doesn't leak, you'll be close to a grand likely- plus you're wood and a place to store/shelter it. Ever priced windows? FYI, they aren't cheap. You'll definitely want insulated ones in Canada. I don't know what you're doing for water- you could buy cheap property and dig a well (that could be 20k) or just buy property beside a river (it's always super cheap by water :rolleyes:). I'm not sure you've thought this through.

I'll also mention that I've personally built dwellings in places where I didn't need to comply with building codes, in places where it doesn't freeze. You can talk about potentially doing it all you want, but I'm speaking from actual experience from doing it. There are tremendous savings to be had, under the right circumstances- but you're in Canada and you're options are very limited. FYI, it's currently -27 C in Yellowknife- and it isn't even winter yet. Should everyone just move to Victoria?

I'm still waiting on those floor plans for a $20,000 house. Feel free to duck out of the conversation, you're obviously in over your head here.

I've posted videos that break down how they built tiny houses that cost less than 20K.

You just park one at a trailer park with all the hookups in place. People are doing it all over the country.

Insulated crawl spaces exist, but I wouldn't say they're very common. Of the few hundred year round houses I'm familiar with in Canada, I think I remember one with a crawl space (and even it was a converted summer cottage). It belonged to a friend of mine who periodically had problems with pipes freezing. This was in southern Ontario. Where were your parents? Was there a high water table there? What was the heating system? On oil or gas you're fine to set the thermostat low and go away for a week, but if you're burning wood, with no basement, your pipes will definitely freeze if there's no fire going for a while. Hell, they'd freeze even with a basement.

There are thousands in Calgary alone. You're out of your depth blah blah blah duck out blah blah blah

What would the process look like to transition away from it? You have what, maybe 10 million people that would be categorized as "landlords" in this country. Maybe eliminate a few that just rent a room in their house or something, but you still have millions of people who have bought rental properties for the sole reason of renting them out. As an investment. Most are (by necessity) financing the purchase of the properties, not paying out of pocket. The demographic of landlords ranges widely obviously, from individuals to large corporations. I'm just wondering how you begin to unwind this. Some guy who bought a couple 4 unit apartment buildings as a random example. He did his research on the area, went to the bank with his business plan, got mortgages. You're now forcing him to what, sell them? To who? Corporations for corporate housing maybe, but that isn't viable in a lot of areas. And he would take a bath on the sale as the corp would have all the leverage due to the government dictating the sale. Sell each individual apartment to those who reside in them? Or to someone else who wants to? Possible, but what if they can't afford them (likely) and/or can't get approved for a loan to buy the unit.

I'm just wondering how you actually make this change without sending things into utter chaos. Or are we grandfathering in those who are currently landlords and simply saying no new purchasing of property for the purpose of renting it out. That would eliminate some, but FAR from all, of the problems you'd face.

It's an interesting concept but as with most things, the devil is in the details. And this seems like a monstrous undertaking (which might even be an understatement).
I wasn't planning on this but you simply set a time period for the transition.

For places that use some sort of license before you can rent, you just stop issuing them. Grandfather people in for a set amount of time - 15, 20 years should be reasonable. It shouldn't take more than that to plan an alternative use for the land. Convert a multi-unit into condos. Tear down a multi, put up a single family and sell it. Convert it into storage, parking, etc. There's lots of uses for land.

With a 15+ year window, there's very little reason that people can't find a solution that works for them.

I wasn't planning on this but you simply set a time period for the transition.

For places that use some sort of license before you can rent, you just stop issuing them. Grandfather people in for a set amount of time - 15, 20 years should be reasonable. It shouldn't take more than that to plan an alternative use for the land. Convert a multi-unit into condos. Tear down a multi, put up a single family and sell it. Convert it into storage, parking, etc. There's lots of uses for land.

With a 15+ year window, there's very little reason that people can't find a solution that works for them.

Interesting. I'd probably make it 30 years minimum though. That way anyone who took out a 30 year mortgage on their rental property has it paid off by the time the grandfather period is over. Once you set a date, all loans for rental properties must have a scheduled final payment prior to that date.

There are still issues (for example landlords who are not all that profitable but squeak by would find it very difficult coming up with the $ to do any major conversions, etc). But that may not effect the majority of those who own rental properties.

I'm not totally convinced though that this isn't a huge solution looking for a medium sized problem to solve. Yeah, housing in America has some issues. Is the solution really to outlaw rental properties? I mean, it is after all an arrangement that's worked very well for a heck of a lot more parties (both renter and property owner) than it hasn't worked for.

Housing should be a necessity and if they can't cut the heat in winter or power in summer, than they shouldn't be allowed to throw people out on that streets. I don't have any answers on what to do, I am just thinking about all the people bout to be evicted cause the money the govt is handing out seem to be drying up. I am talking about these hotels that were allowing people to stay in and now those places are kicking folks out without any place to go.

Maybe they can let those people create towns on Public Lands or something.

Speaking as a rental property owner- Evictions should obviously be legal.

If you can explain to me why I should be forced to let someone live in my property for free while others are willing and able to pay rent, I'll be happy to review my decision.

The assertion that most people with rental properties are filthy rich is not accurate. If the government does not want me to evict someone, they can pay me the rent.

Last edited:
No. However, it should be illegal to own property for the sake of renting it out.
LOL. Renting is a voluntary exchange and if no one is allowed to rent then there will be lots of homeless or only some shitty government housing for the people who can't afford their own real house.

No. However, it should be illegal to own property for the sake of renting it out.

Wtf is with this take? I see it everywhere now, as if offering a service to people who voluntarily want it is somehow a bad thing. Next people will say that banks offering loans with interest payments should be illegal.

As a landlord, Are You Crazy?
Landlords should have the right to evict people if rent isn't paid. I'm very free market centered when it comes to housing. Now, if the government wants to give you the money to keep Mr. Davidson in unit 318 of your building cause he can no longer afford it, that's a separate issue.

Interesting. I'd probably make it 30 years minimum though. That way anyone who took out a 30 year mortgage on their rental property has it paid off by the time the grandfather period is over. Once you set a date, all loans for rental properties must have a scheduled final payment prior to that date.

There are still issues (for example landlords who are not all that profitable but squeak by would find it very difficult coming up with the $ to do any major conversions, etc). But that may not effect the majority of those who own rental properties.

I'm not totally convinced though that this isn't a huge solution looking for a medium sized problem to solve. Yeah, housing in America has some issues. Is the solution really to outlaw rental properties? I mean, it is after all an arrangement that's worked very well for a heck of a lot more parties (both renter and property owner) than it hasn't worked for.
I wouldn't argue with 30 for the same reasons.

Landlords with low profit margin properties can simply sell those properties or enter into rental agreements where they rent the land for some other commercial use and let the lessee pay for the conversions.

I don't think it's an ideal solution. I only offered it up as superior to making evictions illegal. I think that's a bad idea but if people want a solution, I consider ending rental properties far superior. Primarily because ending residential rentals preserves the owner's property rights and ending evictions destroys the owner's property rights. Neither are great but one is far superior.

I wouldn't argue with 30 for the same reasons.

Landlords with low profit margin properties can simply sell those properties or enter into rental agreements where they rent the land for some other commercial use and let the lessee pay for the conversions.

I don't think it's an ideal solution. I only offered it up as superior to making evictions illegal. I think that's a bad idea but if people want a solution, I consider ending rental properties far superior. Primarily because ending residential rentals preserves the owner's property rights and ending evictions destroys the owner's property rights. Neither are great but one is far superior.

Ahh I gotcha. I missed a bit of context. Given that, I agree with you for sure. Of those two, your idea is far superior.

Renters already have way too many laws that protect them and F over the landlords. Especially in liberal states the renters can squat months before being forcefully evicted leaving the landlord to pay their rent

I've posted videos that break down how they built tiny houses that cost less than 20K.

You just park one at a trailer park with all the hookups in place. People are doing it all over the country.

I watched a doc yesterday called the United States of tents where they built the tiny houses for vets and homeless. I hope that idea catches on. I think from my experiences, that your average homeless person would have a very difficult time meeting those requirements. Especially keeping the place clean. I did homeless outreach for my department and went on wellness checks to provide medical treatment for those without homes. I was there as a goodwill liaison and learned a lot. But one thing that has always bothered me is one-how they simply live on private property or public property and take over an area and two how damn messy the camps are-like a garbage tornado went through

all property on earth should be publicly owned by all the people of earth

Renters already have way too many laws that protect them and F over the landlords. Especially in liberal states the renters can squat months before being forcefully evicted leaving the landlord to pay their rent

We had to go court several times to get rid of our neighbors. The landlord was furious. He paid over 10k in legal fees plus damages to his property, found needles in the house/yard. It was a shitty year.

I watched a doc yesterday called the United States of tents where they built the tiny houses for vets and homeless. I hope that idea catches on. I think from my experiences, that your average homeless person would have a very difficult time meeting those requirements. Especially keeping the place clean. I did homeless outreach for my department and went on wellness checks to provide medical treatment for those without homes. I was there as a goodwill liaison and learned a lot. But one thing that has always bothered me is one-how they simply live on private property or public property and take over an area and two how damn messy the camps are-like a garbage tornado went through

They did a village for vets here in Calgary. 15 units. It was like $4M.

Just an example of what I mean. Deregulate this shit and keep the government's grubby hands out of it. People think these are the 'costs' because they don't realize 90% of that money is just disappearing into government inefficiency.

These guys honestly think a house that sells for $300K cost $300K to build. It's like guys who are selling their car and go 'I paid $12K for it six years ago so I want at least $12K' like they think cars appreciate in value...

I mean literally not using a ground wire at all and putting a jumper between the ground and the neutral. Like this.

Grounding_Absent-030-JSs.jpg

That looks like an attempt to trick an inspector to me. They were most likely hoping that he/she would not remove any outlets and would only use plug in tester to check for ground.

Could be a renovation of an old house and the renovator did no want to spend the money on new electrical wiring throughout.

Last edited:
Back