Opinion Should It Be Illegal to Evict People

In the UK the local council has a legal obligation to house you unless you have made yourself intentionally homeless.

I have no idea what the criteria for making yourself intentionally homeless is.

The govt at the start of the pandemic advised some authorities to close hostels/shelters and seek alternative emergency accommodation. This has meant turning to hotels.

If someone loses their job due to the pandemic and can't pay the rent and can't come to an agreement with a landlord. They are not making making themselves intentionally homeless. They can what? Squat, try to find somewhere cheaper, move in with family. Maybe they have no family and can't afford anywhere cheaper so they have to turn to someone for help.

So while this may be an extra burden on the taxpayer it also really helps with two problems. It provides safe secure accommodation for people made homeless and revenue to hotels who under current restrictions can't accept leisure guests. So in a way its two birds, one stone. But its a problem that could have largely avoided.

A hotel may have a negotiated rate with the local council. This could be for example £60 a night. This means it is costing the council £420 a week to accommodate them.

However in these situations the council must find them accommodation within 60 days. That means £3,600 of taxpayers money if they stay the full 60 days and there is a serious shortage of social housing.

The average cost of social housing in 2017 was £97 per week (compare to £420 to keep someone in a hotel for a week). We have a shortage of social housing created many years ago when the right to buy scheme (a good policy, one of the very few Thatcher had) led to the selling off of council property but none of the money was reinvested in social housing.

This is why for years we have had a social housing crisis with people sometimes waiting years to get accommodation.

So essentially greed and a lack of planning has been exacerbated because of the pandemic.

Its a supply and demand issue in many ways.

Or we could have reinvested the money from right to buy and had a sensible social housing policy for the past 30 years.

I sympathize with someone who through no fault of their own especially now has lost their job and can no longer make rent and am happy to use taxpayer money to do so to help them back on their feet. I think that's money well spent.

maslow.jpg

It must be crushing for someone to lose their job, has always paid their bills and because of the pandemic can no longer pay those bills and is struggling to find a new job. A real blow to their self worth and through no fault of their own. Especially young people who might just be starting out and have little savings to fall back on.

I myself was recently made redundant but fortunately received a decent settlement and had savings to fall back on. If I was not entitled to redundancy due to length of service or had the opportunity to save for a few years I'd be in a very rough spot right now.

So there but for the grace of god go I.

I think its situations like that where a robust social safety net is required. So yes I would say a roof over your head is a right however with certain caveats. Provide the basics, a roof, heating and water.

Evictions the landlord owns the property. It is his. You signed a contract and both parties need to honor it.

If one party can no longer honor that agreement it is not the landlords fault if you lose your job. Not all landlords are rich or greedy. You could try to find an agreement but at the end of the day the property is theirs and should they wish to evict a tenant no matter what the circumstances so long as they abide by the contract.

Tenancy agreements are just a contract. It's not private landlords role to subsidize you and not all of them are rich, bloodsucking vampires either.

Last edited:
Housing should be a necessity and if they can't cut the heat in winter or power in summer, than they shouldn't be allowed to throw people out on that streets. I don't have any answers on what to do, I am just thinking about all the people bout to be evicted cause the money the govt is handing out seem to be drying up. I am talking about these hotels that were allowing people to stay in and now those places are kicking folks out without any place to go.

Maybe they can let those people create towns on Public Lands or something.

Would you agree with the below comment? From a French revolutionary

"Commodities that are not essential can be abandoned to the most unlimited speculations of the merchant. The momentary shortage that might be felt is always a bearable inconvenience, and it is enough that in general the unlimited freedom of the market works to the greater profit of and state and individuals. But the lives of men cannot be subject to the same chance. It isn’t necessary that I be able to buy brilliant material, but I do have to be rich enough to buy bread for myself and my children. The merchant can very well keep in his storehouse the merchandise that vanity and luxury desire up till the moment when he can sell them at the highest possible price, but no man has the right to pile up stacks of wheat while next to him his like dies of hunger."

Wonder how it would work out if landlords were only allowed to rent properties they outright own and a system were set up that in the event of social catastrophe such as the pandemic where the renter loses their job due to their business being shut down by state restrictions or due to a natural disaster, etc the property owner can receive a waiver on property tax for the duration of the disaster or state wide closure + $400 a month allotment for "housing" the renter. Utilities would be between the renter, government and the utility company.

That looks like an attempt to trick an inspector to me. They were most likely hoping that he/she would not remove any outlets and would only use plug in tester to check for ground.

Could be a renovation of an old house and the renovator did no want to spend the money on new electrical wiring throughout.

Could be. Homeowners do that sometimes too.

If they can afford rent, they can afford a mortgage of equal or lesser value. But I'm not saying it's a great idea, but it is better than eliminating evictions.

Eliminating evictions robs people of the use of their property by letting someone else control it in perpetuity. At least, if you get rid of rentals altogether then you don't create a situation where one person can legally abuse another person's property.

Not in Canada.

You need 20% downpayment minimum thanks to the housing crash in America a while back.

20% on a $250,000 house is $50,000 - good luck saving that up while paying rent, groceries, transportation (bus pass or insurance and maintainenance on a car), internet, TV, gas, cell phone, water, electricity and natural gas bills and perhaps even student loans.

Sure, if you're a lawyer, doctor, dentist, veterinarian etc that's probably not hard to do.

Now try doing that on $15/hr.

The alternative is to pop the housing bubble.

You can build a simple single family dwelling for under $20K. Relax regulations and let people do that.
yeah to be honest, they only relax regulations when politicians and their buddies develop the fuck out of your city as they did in san Jose. these idiots in California then elected the guy who did this as their senator, dave fucking Cortese. it's the politicians that lined their pockets up that has fucked the housing economy in many places. Seems like they allow for things when it only lines their pockets. I forget the specific regulations, but this dude revoked them for like a year or two when he and his buddies were carving up and developing the south bay. I find it asinine that anyone would think a guy that owns a literal chunk of the east side of san jose would give a shit about the small guy.

I think 20 years ago a 1k-1.2k sq foot home sold for around 80-120k, now something like that would sell in a week or less for 1.2-1.3 mil. Hell, my parents bought thier 2nd home like a decade ago for 670k ish, that same house in the same condition would probably net almost 3x that.

Now they approved zones like this year for ADU's but even then building one is going to run you close to six figures for something decently sized. You basically have to build on unincorporated county land to be able to get away with any like that, unfortunately.

Not in Canada.

You need 20% downpayment minimum thanks to the housing crash in America a while back.

20% on a $250,000 house is $50,000 - good luck saving that up while paying rent, groceries, transportation (bus pass or insurance and maintainenance on a car), internet, TV, gas, cell phone, water, electricity and natural gas bills and perhaps even student loans.

Sure, if you're a lawyer, doctor, dentist, veterinarian etc that's probably not hard to do.

Now try doing that on $15/hr.
Someone else was whining about this in Canada.

Are you seriously complaining about needing 20% down to buy a house? Buy a cheaper house. On a $100k house, it's $20k. Not something that can be saved over night, sure, but a lot cheaper than $50k.

And in my city, I regularly see houses sell for between $60k-$100k. They're not attractive houses but if someone is willing to put the time and money into fixing them up while living in them, they are achievable even for people making $30k/year.

The response can't be "But I don't want to live in those less expensive housing areas." Okay, then they want to rent, not own.

Renters already have way too many laws that protect them and F over the landlords. Especially in liberal states the renters can squat months before being forcefully evicted leaving the landlord to pay their rent

Its not just liberal states. Texas has a similar law. If someone has lived somewhere longer than 30 days and can provide evidence of residency (mail being delivered to the residence), you have a very hard time kicking them out.

A female friend of mine had a BF she was trying to break up with who was also living with her but couldn’t make him leave.

Someone else was whining about this in Canada.

Are you seriously complaining about needing 20% down to buy a house? Buy a cheaper house. On a $100k house, it's $20k. Not something that can be saved over night, sure, but a lot cheaper than $50k.

And in my city, I regularly see houses sell for between $60k-$100k. They're not attractive houses but if someone is willing to put the time and money into fixing them up while living in them, they are achievable even for people making $30k/year.

The response can't be "But I don't want to live in those less expensive housing areas." Okay, then they want to rent, not own.

Screenshot-20201224-175946-Free-Adblocker-Browser.jpg

Screenshot-20201224-180249-Google.jpg

You were saying?

Imagine thinking that because your city has dumps for 50k, that everywhere else in the world does.

My 250K example was being generous. We can talk about 20% of a $500,000 mortgage instead if you want though.

Back