• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Woodley training in boxing/mma fans making excuses early.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but your statement while true, I don't understand how it applies in the case of Woodley vs. Jake Paul.

The question here is if a professional MMA fighter is as good at boxing as an amateur Youtuber. I don't think this fight settles anything about MMA fighters not being as good at boxing as professional boxers.

It's as if CM Punk fights Pro boxer Canelo in MMA.... That doesn't really settle any argument about either sport.
I agree that this doesn't really mean anything, but Punk beating Canelo in MMA would illustrate the serious shortcomings of boxing as a form of fighting. To your point though, we all already know that. Same with MMA fighters trying to box. They aren't very good at it.

I don't wanna list his injuries, but combined with his age and gun shyness - we all have a legit reason to be worried.

That said... it makes no sense if he can't pull it off. MMA boxing is a myth if he bottles it.

MMA boxing is largely a myth.

Woodley will lose imo, but it won’t be because of bottling it. Paul is just a better boxer than him.

props to jake paul for putting on entertaining freak show fights and branching out from just fighting other you tubers

Can't wait till Jake Paul knocks him out just to see the reaction from the MMA community.

Far too many MMA fans have convinced themselves that the average UFC fighter is a pretty competent boxer who .

They’re not, and Jake Paul has capitalised on that belief.

Yeah except Tyron is 40 years old is way beyond his prime.....I have a feelijng this going to get super embarrassing.

Gonna have to cut out my wife and half of my friends,they know about my MMA addiction....I can't be connected to this shit.

I think I see the part you're missing. That "pro-youtuber" you speak of, has been taking boxing very seriously for many years. Now, I'm not saying he's great at it....not by any means. Truth is, the verdict isn't clear yet.

I can say this much. There are definitely low-end pro boxers that JP can beat at boxing.

It’s worth putting this into context - being a pro boxer is simply someone who gets paid to box. Charlie Zelenoff is a professional boxer for instance, and Jake would beat him.

A professional boxer is not necessarily better than an amateur boxer though. While Jake would beat the very worst professionals, he would get completely wiped out against plenty of amateurs, even those not fighting at a high level.

I don't wanna list his injuries, but combined with his age and gun shyness - we all have a legit reason to be worried.

That said... it makes no sense if he can't pull it off. MMA boxing is a myth if he bottles it.

You don't think you're contradicting yourself a bit in this post?

No one liked Woodley when he was in the UFC. I personally don't see the appeal of this fight

I don't think he was. He watched him spar, as far as I know. Mike Perry definitely isn't in his camp and said Paul kicked his ass in sparring.
Close. Mike Perry said he had hands, and pointed out he got hit a lot. He then went on to say he was marching him down the whole time and when he figured him out he was tagging Jake towards the end. He was very complimentary, but also pointed out he rolled off the couch to get some rounds in, because he was looking for some work (i.e. he saw this as a potential job interview more than a scrap).

Weren't people hyping Ben's open workout and saying he was looking good on pads too? It's not hard. Especially when you have a fully edited 5 minute compilation complete with sped up footage in the first minute.

And before anyone accuses me, hell no I'm not saying Ben and T Wood are on the same striking level. Woodley is leaps and bounds better than Ben Askren in boxing I'm sure and athleticism in general. Shit. Ben Askren isn't even coordinated. So I'm not comparing striking. But it's a fact that any random dude that boxes for fitness at a gym can look like that on pads. It doesn't translate in a fight.

I would love to see some sparring footage of Woodley with other boxers, no mma fighters. That would be a better gauge of how he might look in the ring. But that also can't determine how he would do in a real boxing match against a particular opponent. And we can't forget Tyron's fast twitch muscles aren't as fast as they used to be and he has been plagued by mental blocks so there are some x factors beyond skill.

I agree that this doesn't really mean anything, but Punk beating Canelo in MMA would illustrate the serious shortcomings of boxing as a form of fighting. To your point though, we all already know that. Same with MMA fighters trying to box. They aren't very good at it.
You’re absolutely right, in the unlikely case that punk beats Canelo in MMA would illustrate the shortcomings of boxing.

I think by that token, CM punk/celebrity-level Jake Paul easily beating Askren in seconds illustrates the shortcomings of MMA fighters in boxing.

Last edited:
I didnt know woodley has headmovment in his toolbox.. someone inform me again what I missed of his early days.

Shortcomings? What. It's just one discipline of fighting I understand but it's a totally different sport to mma and still requires a massive skill level to be any good. Only has shortcomings in the minds of mma fans who keep saying weird shit like 'let's see what happens in the streets'.

Weren't people hyping Ben's open workout and saying he was looking good on pads too? It's not hard. Especially when you have a fully edited 5 minute compilation complete with sped up footage in the first minute.

And before anyone accuses me, hell no I'm not saying Ben and T Wood are on the same striking level. Woodley is leaps and bounds better than Ben Askren in boxing I'm sure and athleticism in general. Shit. Ben Askren isn't even coordinated. So I'm not comparing striking. But it's a fact that any random dude that boxes for fitness at a gym can look like that on pads. It doesn't translate in a fight.

I would love to see some sparring footage of Woodley with other boxers, no mma fighters. That would be a better gauge of how he might look in the ring. But that also can't determine how he would do in a real boxing match against a particular opponent. And we can't forget Tyron's fast twitch muscles aren't as fast as they used to be and he has been plagued by mental blocks so there are some x factors beyond skill.

I'm quite sure he's still faster then Paul.

Yeah except Tyron is 39 years old and is a shell of his former self. When you’re washed up you’re washed up. You could throw Anderson Silva in the boxing ring with amateurs and he would get KOed these days.
Maybe, but why does this argument doesn’t work for Floyd? He’s even older than Woodley and had 2x as many fights, yet nobody is giving Logan a chance.

Far too many MMA fans have convinced themselves that the average UFC fighter is a pretty competent boxer who .

They’re not, and Jake Paul has capitalised on that belief.

I dont think paul would fight someone who is a competent boxer or isnt washed up in mma.

Maybe, but why does this argument doesn’t work for Floyd? He’s even older than Woodley and had 2x as many fights, yet nobody is giving Logan a chance.

Well because theyre boxing and floyd is a boxer. If paul was going to fight woodley in an mma match then we'd say paul has practically zero chance.

Back