Opinion Should People Have More Respect for the President?

Should People Have More Respect for the President?

• Total voters
I don't think it will ever go back to "I didn't vote for them but I support them and respect them"

You are either an ally or part of the problem. There is no middle ground anymore.

It didn't start with Trump, him and MSM made it worse. It seemed like it started with Bush

This, and it started with a show(s) like The Daily Show, which became the main source of news for a whole generation. And while there were partisan/bias personalities on both sides prior to The Daily Show, it was the first that made consumption of news/politics turn the end result of that consumption into a punch line/joke. By turning it into a joke, you have to make one side, with no middle ground, so that the joke is more effective

Moreover, this coincides with high-speed internet taking off, which further pushed partisanship, as it became easy to find group think on the internet and eventually social media.

So increased group think/partisanship converging with turning politics/news in general into a joke

Garfield and McKinley were as well. What's your point?
Probably that there have always been a lot of people that don't respect the President?

I'd say the hyper partisanship probably started after Nixon resigned though.

So I just saw the attack that Governor Ron DeSantis launched on President Biden and it kind of made me sad and pining for a gentler time in our discourse. It made me realize that the harsh rhetoric coming to and from the Trump White House set a bad precedent and is continuing on and I don't really think it's a good thing. I have my own issues with Biden, but I think public officials like DeSantis should have more respect for the President. For DeSantis to unleash an unwarranted attack on our President because things aren't going too well in his own state right now is just really sad to me.

And I would hope that if a respectful Republican ever gets elected again who doesn't act like Trump, that we would treat him in kind, even if we disagree with his policies and whatnot. But perhaps that ship has sailed, sadly...

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, facing a surge in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations, delivered extraordinary and impassioned remarks on the issue Wednesday — attacking President Joe Biden.

He made a litany of accusations against the president, many of them amped up versions of what Biden or his administration has said and done that have an element of truth but DeSantis depicted as ineptitude, incompetence or maliciousness.

The governor concluded his 4 1/2-minute broadside with this message to the president: “So why don’t you do your job? Why don’t you get this border secure, and until you do that, I don’t want to hear a blip about COVID from you. Thank you.”

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-gov-desantis-attacks-biden-192400288.html
We were always taught to respect the rank but not always the man.

Depends on the President, really. Not when you have clowns like Trump and war criminals like GWB. But when you have a normal, dignified person like our current President, Obama, etc., then absolutely. DeSantis was way, way out of line and hopefully gets punished for it

he did the handsy little girl thing again yesterday, he's in self destruct mode

I think we have lowered that bar far too much already.

When trump was POTUS it was fair game for US media and public to disrespect him as much as they pleased. Now when the government changed and you can’t tolerate the same happening to head of state just cause he/she represents your party it seems very hypocritical.

It started coming from the right* when Obama was in office, even though Obama conducted himself with decorum. The bullshit like a sitting Congressman (Joe Wilson) shouting "you lie!" at Obama during the State of the Union address. Shouldn't do that on either side. But it really ramped up under Trump because of the way he acted and the response he would get. Just feel like the precedent that was set under him has sent us on a bad path. The President should act a certain way and compose himself and people should have respect for the position not only domestic but internationally.

*There were comedians and other liberals who were disrespectful to W. Bush in the 2000s, but not elected officials at the time. W.'s policies were exceptionally bad and he was kind of embarrassing in the way he carried himself. His father knew how to act.
Uh it started in the time of Clinton, when 24/7 news realized how much exposure and interest his blowjob from Monica Lewinsky generated, and news has been all downhill from there as every move George w bush made was scrutinized and condemned even after 9/11, but it was still relegated to fledgling internet forums back then. It wasn't exasperated to people who would barely watch news until the advent of social media. Now people who barely watched news get inflamed over the first sensationalist headline they see and still barely watch news. They just watch what they want to see and act like they are informed.

News corporations responded accordingly by becoming more "catering" to their "demographic" and feeding more bullshit sensationalism. Politicians are responding by adjusting their tactics to targetting the legions of rabid uneducated voters because it went from being barely relevant to a huge source of votes.

It's all traceable back to Reagan and his stupid bullshit decision to remove the media fairness doctrine, which forced media to be bi partisan and show both sides of a story and not have the huge omissions they have today. I doubt he foresaw how catastrophic it would be in the late 80s because social media did not exist.

It made me realize that the harsh rhetoric coming to and from the Trump White House set a bad precedent and is continuing on and I don't really think it's a good thing.

I'm going to address this part. This is what I said the entire Trump presidency and most people ignored it with "But Trump" garbage. I don't even like Trump, but the way he was treated in office was shameful, and the inevitable result was setting a precedent that we remove barriers in how we attack sitting officials.

Fast forward, and then it's "have respect" again. Well it's too late now, this is how people wanted it to be.

I was brought up with the belief that respect is earned. I don't believe just because someone is in a high position that they should automatically be afforded respect.

I didn't plan on listening to DeSantis's speech, but I did because I wanted to be able to judge for myself. I don't see what you're seeing Jackie. He spoke in a relatively calm demeanor and pointed out some hypocrisies. I've seen far, far more incendiary attacks against Trump, Bush, and Obama. 4 Presidents have been shot and killed, 2 have been shot and survived. One had a large section of the country rebel against him. This is nothing compared to some of the behavior over the prior 4 years, let alone over the history of our country.

Lastly, politicians need to prove themselves as more than thieves and liars that are making themselves rich at our expense if they want our respect. Outlawing lobbyism and setting term limits would be a good start.

Probably that there have always been a lot of people that don't respect the President?

I'd say the hyper partisanship probably started after Nixon resigned though.
That’s what I was getting at.

It’s no secret that Lincoln was hated by the entire South. Some forgot that many in the North also weren’t thrilled about fighting to free slaves. Weren’t thrilled about fighting period. There were draft riots in New York. Hundreds of thousands dodged the draft. Many did not want to fight a war that the North had been losing in the early going. All the blame rested atop the shoulders of Lincoln. Who, looking back, seemed up to task.

Also ask a Boomer about Nixon and you better clear your afternoon.

But when you have a normal, dignified person like our current President
1628257264211.jpg

This thread is leftist propaganda. Conveniently leaving out the other side of the story and making it seem like poor Biden was just trying to enjoy his oatmeal when mean ol' DeSantis started disrespecting him for no reason.

Back