Opinion Should People Have More Respect for the President?

Should People Have More Respect for the President?

• Total voters
I voted yes* because its a respectable thing to do. I don't agree with calling him "sleepy Joe" and all that stuff. Name calling was always a staple of the left from 2016 to 2020 and the right shouldn't follow suit (I know it's not as bad these days but still). But at the same time he has already provided us with some WTF moments. One being when he signed a paper allowing men to enter women's college/pro sports on DAY ONE.

So I just saw the attack that Governor Ron DeSantis launched on President Biden and it kind of made me sad and pining for a gentler time in our discourse. It made me realize that the harsh rhetoric coming to and from the Trump White House set a bad precedent and is continuing on and I don't really think it's a good thing. I have my own issues with Biden, but I think public officials like DeSantis should have more respect for the President. For DeSantis to unleash an unwarranted attack on our President because things aren't going too well in his own state right now is just really sad to me.

And I would hope that if a respectful Republican ever gets elected again who doesn't act like Trump, that we would treat him in kind, even if we disagree with his policies and whatnot. But perhaps that ship has sailed, sadly...

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, facing a surge in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations, delivered extraordinary and impassioned remarks on the issue Wednesday — attacking President Joe Biden.

He made a litany of accusations against the president, many of them amped up versions of what Biden or his administration has said and done that have an element of truth but DeSantis depicted as ineptitude, incompetence or maliciousness.

The governor concluded his 4 1/2-minute broadside with this message to the president: “So why don’t you do your job? Why don’t you get this border secure, and until you do that, I don’t want to hear a blip about COVID from you. Thank you.”

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-gov-desantis-attacks-biden-192400288.html
Now that you got what you wanted you want everyone else to be nice to you.... interesting

Desantis is right though. Any bitching about Covid while our border is wide open is absolutely ridiculous. Biden is a joke, just like the rest of the left is.

We're not kids anymore and we know our presidents are as flawed and fallible as any other person. Decency should be the norm, but respect is earned.

It started coming from the right* when Obama was in office, even though Obama conducted himself with decorum. The bullshit like a sitting Congressman (Joe Wilson) shouting "you lie!" at Obama during the State of the Union address. Shouldn't do that on either side. But it really ramped up under Trump because of the way he acted and the response he would get. Just feel like the precedent that was set under him has sent us on a bad path. The President should act a certain way and compose himself and people should have respect for the position not only domestic but internationally.

*There were comedians and other liberals who were disrespectful to W. Bush in the 2000s, but not elected officials at the time. W.'s policies were exceptionally bad and he was kind of embarrassing in the way he carried himself. His father knew how to act.
The guy that got a second term? It's obviously because of social media. It has nothing to do with Obama. It's just how social media exploded in that time frame. I believe that's how Obama won in the first place. He was the first to invest in that Avenue to get voters

The guy that got a second term? It's obviously because of social media. It has nothing to do with Obama. It's just how social media exploded in that time frame. I believe that's how Obama won in the first place. He was the first to invest in that Avenue to get voters
Gotta quote myself since I didn't want any misunderstanding. I believe people will always be disrespectful towards any president regardless of Democrat or Republican because of social media. It's different now.

Last edited:
We barely have any respect for each other in day to day life. Why would we have it for the president.
This EOT. But in reality, once the media abandoned any semblance of fair reporting it was bound to happen. All media is click bait and partisan hackery if not full blown propaganda. Emotions are stroked every minute and this is the result.

Now that you got what you wanted you want everyone else to be nice to you.... interesting
Exactly what I was thinking. When Trumps in office it's fair game "LITERALLY HITLER..... ORANGE CHEETOH!"

When Biden's in office "Hey guys maybe we should have some decency towards the president because this particular one agrees with many of my political inclinations."

This is a discussion board. People use other people’s posts to make their own points.

You clearly are sensitive about it so I’ll make a mental note to shoot you a pm asking if you’d be alright with me quoting you next time.

<WellThere>

-MSM realizes during obama era that they will not survive long term
-Needs to eventually become the only "legitimate" source of news to remain relevant.
-Starts doubling down on leftist pandering, obama can do no wrong
-Fully embraces "wokeness"
-Enter Donny T, as a fuck you reaction to this
-MSM proceeds to have a complete moral and journalistic integrity meltdown
-MSM triples down on every identity politic issue, the biggest issues in the country are now BLM, transsexuals, and what trump ate for breakfest and how its simular to Hitler
- literal riots ensue
-Election isn't rigged, but is more or less engineered for biden to win by our moral superiors in the MSM, Hollywood, and DOJ
-Enter biden, a guy whos was about as crooked as trump but now has the intellectual capacity of a baked potato and for whatever reason gets away with sniffing and groping women and kids

-"its time to be respectful to our president guys"

Last edited:
Only if the potus is liberal. If conservative Potus should be met with pitchforks an fire at every chance. This is the way it goes in modern Murica

The president is a geriatric who before he got dementia, liked to fondle 6 year old girls (maybe he still does?)

Sort of hard to respect that.

Got mixed feelings on this

on one hand yeah. Most of the hate I see for presidents is fucking dumb, just because they are the opposite party.

on the other hand I think it’s a very good idea to not idolize politics figures. It’s a good thing to be critical of them, as long as we are for the right reasons (actual policy)

-MSM realizes during obama era that they will not survive long term
-Needs to eventually become the only "legitimate" source of news to remain relevant.
-Starts doubling down on leftist pandering, obama can do no wrong
-Fully embraces "wokeness"
-Enter Donny T, as a fuck you reaction to this
-MSM proceeds to have a complete moral and journalistic integrity meltdown
-MSM triples down on every identity politic issue, the biggest issues in the country are now BLM, transsexuals, and what trump ate for breakfest and how its simular to Hitler
- literal riots ensue
-Election isn't rigged, but is more or less engineered for biden to win by our moral superiors in the MSM, Hollywood, and DOJ
-Enter biden, a guy whos was about as crooked as trump but now has the intellectual capacity of a baked potato and for whatever reason gets away with sniffing and groping women and kids

-"its time to be respectful to our president guys"
There's some truth to this. I'm certainly no fan of the mainstream media. But it's not about "our" President. I agree with Biden maybe half of the time. It's the President. By having someone who acts like Trump it set a bad precedent, IMO. The position has inherently lost respect it seems. Maybe that might be good in some ways, but I don't like seeing people routinely disrespect the President now when we should be working together to address this pandemic, which I think will be ongoing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zygmunt
Back