International Was it a mistake for the US and there allies to withdraw the troops from Afghanistan?

Was it a mistake for the US and there allies to withdraw the troops from Afghanistan?

• Total voters
When is the right going to realize they shouldn’t have gotten us involved in that shit hole to begin with?

It's almost like you didn't address my question at all.

Irrefutably we did. Conquering a nation and occupying a nation aren't the same thing. Besides, we even successfully occupied it. If we didn't, then this collapse of our control wouldn't be a headline. We conquered and controlled them. It's only when we leave that the Taliban cannot challenge this.

This dramatic collapse signals there was never truly a widespread appetite for freedom or democracy in the region. We are consistently sold this myth of the moderate Muslim oppressed by a minority of violent warlords, but that isn't true at all, is it?
I think it’s obvious that some cultures foster inclusive ideas and democracy and some don’t. Cultures rooted in fundamentalist Islam will never be free.

It's almost like you didn't address my question at all.
Wouldn’t have needed to address it at all if the right wing war-hawks wouldn’t have gotten us into this to begin with.

Has there ever been a real explanation for why we were there in the first place? It wasn't to help the people of Iraq or Afghanistan or to eliminate terrorism.

Buhhh buh buh Hillary. What a fucking a joke.

Ok, so every Democrat in office in the early 2000s who was in favor of not just one, but two invasions. The hoops you nerds will jump through on behalf of politicians who don't know you or care about you is embarrassing.

Buhhh buh buh Hillary. What a fucking a joke.

46fc9afe750ad8030aab5e208c24798a.jpg

Ok, so every Democrat in office in the early 2000s who was in favor of not just one, but two invasions. The hoops you nerds will jump through on behalf of politicians who don't know you or care about you is embarrassing.

This all started well before the early 2000's bud.

They should have left long ago, in fact they never should have gone in

The withdraw was terrible though. How many millions of $$ in equipment were left for the Taliban, not to mention Afghan allies thrown to the wolves.

Last edited:
Leaving is fine. Afghanistan is destined to be controlled by the Taliban. Leaving massive equipment stockpiles for them to seize, and leaving tons of equipment in the hands of the poorly run Afghan government to be stolen was a massive blunder. The Taliban have Black Hawk helicopters now.

TELEMMGLPICT000268109342_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqSyEsOx5crmpk0cIU3F_J3EWy_sGK6oioMu5BzggyGUY.jpeg

Would a other 20 years and a few trillion dollars more have changed anything ?

I think at a minimum you’d need to stay for a generation or two in order to turn that country around. Not our job nor do we have the appetite. One thing to note is that this is the second time the US has bailed on the Afghan people. The first resulted in AQ coming to power. I think we will revisit this decision in a few decades when there’s another 9/11 style attack.

fuck that noise... should have left a long time ago.. those trillions of dollars could have been spent on healthcare or infrastructure

It has to be a mistake IMO. Because you went there to help the progressive side of their society to come into power and now leave them alone to the wolves. The massacre now is inevitable. If your plan was to give up in the middle of the road you shouldn't have promised change and help in the first time. The trillions of dollars thing is just an excuse. None of the outside wars are really being paid by the US at the end of the day. There are mechanisms with which they extract those money from these countries later on. The biggest superpower in the world actually can only gain from a war, from any war actually. I'm just disapointed for those women and children that will be forcefully sent back to the middle ages after a window of hope was opened for a little bit.

Back