UFC Fight Night: Cannonier vs Gastelum - Discussion Thread

Anyone overlooking Royval is doing themselves a disservice.

I don't think so, to be honest, Royval looks like a finish-or-bust here.

Royval's record in decisions is 1-4, which is both insane and partially unfair, but it's a statistic that simply can't be overlooked against a guy as durable as Pantoja.

I'm not saying Royval won't cause Pantoja problems, but I think the only sensible bet here is Pantoja to win, by decision if you have to.

Royval is way better simply being another Jonathan Martinez, who was briefly overrated because he was able to whirlwind fighters that ultimately aren't that good, but at these weight classes it's sometimes hard to pick out the reliable fighter from the less reliable buzzsaw.

Royval is the latter, IMHO.

Confident bet on Pantoja here.

What are the thoughts on Josiane Nunes? Malecki is absolutely horrible and is somehow favored.

What are the thoughts on Josiane Nunes? Malecki is absolutely horrible and is somehow favored.

This is pure wikicapping, but I'm gonna make a small play on Nunes just based on it alone: it's pretty rare to see a WMMA fighter be 7-1 and have 6 of her 7 wins by stoppage (ESPECIALLY given all 6 are KO/TKO and no subs). Women just tend to not have the power to consistently get stoppages via strikes. Now some of that can often be dismissed in cases like this where the girl has just crushed absolute cans that come in with 1-5 records, etc. But if you look, Nunes last 2 opponents would be a combined 7-0 without each of them having the loss to Nunes. So while they likely aren't world beaters, they also likely aren't THAT bad, and she stopped both in rd 2 via TKO. And both were more than halfway through rd 2, which says she's not some girl that comes in swinging wildly and overwhelming her opponents but who gasses horribly if she doesn't get the early stoppage. Late rd 2 stoppages mean that at least she has enough left in the tank after 8 minutes or so to put her opponent away.

Again, this is all wikicapping, I've never seen her fight. I barely remember Bea Malecki either LOL. But...worth a small stab based on this imo.

This is pure wikicapping, but I'm gonna make a small play on Nunes just based on it alone: it's pretty rare to see a WMMA fighter be 7-1 and have 6 of her 7 wins by stoppage (ESPECIALLY given all 6 are KO/TKO and no subs). Women just tend to not have the power to consistently get stoppages via strikes. Now some of that can often be dismissed in cases like this where the girl has just crushed absolute cans that come in with 1-5 records, etc. But if you look, Nunes last 2 opponents would be a combined 7-0 without each of them having the loss to Nunes. So while they likely aren't world beaters, they also likely aren't THAT bad, and she stopped both in rd 2 via TKO. And both were more than halfway through rd 2, which says she's not some girl that comes in swinging wildly and overwhelming her opponents but who gasses horribly if she doesn't get the early stoppage. Late rd 2 stoppages mean that at least she has enough left in the tank after 8 minutes or so to put her opponent away.

Again, this is all wikicapping, I've never seen her fight. I barely remember Bea Malecki either LOL. But...worth a small stab based on this imo.
She's 5'2 to Malecki's 5'9 and comes from a camp known as "Striker's House"...

I'll just steer away from it personally.

Nunes last 2 opponents would be a combined 7-0 without each of them having the loss to Nunes. So while they likely aren't world beaters, they also likely aren't THAT bad, and she stopped both in rd 2 via TKO.
They are that bad.

I'll be honest I'm done betting on wmma . Wmma is like male amateur mma. Most of them are not consistent and very green. I've seen low skilled female fighters crack the 15 ufc rankings. You have ufc female fighters with even or negative records. It's really like betting low level male mma.

How many cancelations is that now? Hard to spend time capping anything when the card falls apart.

I'll be honest I'm done betting on wmma . Wmma is like male amateur mma. Most of them are not consistent and very green. I've seen low skilled female fighters crack the 15 ufc rankings. You have ufc female fighters with even or negative records. It's really like betting low level male mma.
The fact that there are so many terrible female fighters arguably makes betting easier.

Interesting interview I think anyone considering backing Madsen should watch, seems like he's faced a ton of hardships out of the cage since his last fight. On the plus side he's training at Fight Ready in Arizona with Cejudo & Pitbull's coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Real Deal
Back