Fury vs Wilder III in Relation to the UFC/MMA Discussion Mega Thread

Bizarre that this is even debated anymore in all honesty.

The best fighter in MMA currently is an ex low level boxer. His two best wins are also ex low levels boxers.

The question about ‘how does boxing translate to MMA’ was answered years ago, and it seems to be pretty well, up there with other legit combat sports, even when the boxer in question of pretty poor. The only interesting question now is how does elite boxing translate, and the logical conclusion is that they would likely do very well.

Even looking at the intangibles that make good fighters, they have them all by the absolute bucket load. Conditioned like the best wrestlers, with elite level punch resistance, hitting harder than anyone on the roster and coming from a sport where quitting is taboo enough to end a career. Obviously they’d do well.
You are highly mistakened

Fury would do a little better than James Toney did. Not a lot better.

Lol this is highly disingenuous. Ngannou had his first pro MMA fight like a decade ago. Failed on his first title shot then had another 3 years to improve before winning the belt.

Its like saying Dillian Whyte is a low level ex-kickboxer.

You do realise Whyte was British and European champion in kickboxing and went 20-1 in K1.

He was absolutely leagues ahead of Ngannou in their respective sports before they switched to boxing/MMA.

Gane is tailor made to beat him. Fast, mobile and will literally kick Fury till he falls.

You do realise Whyte was British and European champion in kickboxing and went 20-1 in K1.

He was absolutely leagues ahead of Ngannou in their respective sports before they switched to boxing/MMA.

Whyte was a nobody in kickboxing, as was Jarrell Miller who lost to an old Cro Cop who had been KO'd multiple times in the UFC. Lucas Browne did okay for himself in boxing after being being a C/D level MMA guy too.

Again, your attempt to paint Ngannou as some failed ex-boxer is no1 bullshit. Training boxing for a year then switching to MMA and becoming champion a decade after your first pro MMA fight does not = ex-low level boxer

What I saw from Tyson Fury tonight leads me to believe he would do very well in MMA and could potentially be a UFC champ. He 's the only boxer I can say that about.

Obviously he has the boxing skills and would be the best boxer in UFC history, but more importantly he has the grit and physicality of an mma fighter, which is something you rarely see from a boxer. What he did to Wilder tonight wasn't just boxing it was also grappling, dirty boxing, and mauling. The only thing Fury needs is some defensive wrestling. Honestly, he doesn't even need bjj. Guys like black beast and mark hunt had amazing careers with white belt level bjj. if fury learned how to defend doubles and singles he would never lose. His skill and talent are far above anything I see in the UFC heavyweight division at the moment

Horrible take. No he would spend the 4 last minutes of every round on his back. You can tell that fury is not made to grapple or tdd.

Whyte was a nobody in kickboxing, as was Jarrell Miller who lost to an old Cro Cop who had been KO'd multiple times in the UFC. Lucas Browne did okay for himself in boxing after being being a C/D level MMA guy too.

Again, your attempt to paint Ngannou as some failed ex-boxer is no1 bullshit. Training boxing for a year then switching to MMA and becoming champion a decade after your first pro MMA fight does not = ex-low level boxer

He wasn’t a nobody in kickboxing, that’s an utterly laughable suggestion. He was a 20-1 fighter who held multiple British and European titles.

You’re simply reading into what I said the way you want to. In truth, Ngannou absolutely was a nobody in boxing. Never once did I suggest that he didn’t commit to MMA and establish himself, or that he just waltzed in and become the top guy, but it’s an absolute fact to say he was a nobody in boxing, whereas Whyte was very much an accomplished kickboxer.

MMA fighters get out too easily. Boxing athleteres are just differnt beasts. Many would be champs.

you saw what happend to the ex champ that fought the journeyman aartem in bare knuckle fighting.. and how james tony folded against randy cotoure in less than2 minutes in ufc...boxing and mma is diffrent..tyson would get smoked by any top 5 guyin ufc

He wasn’t a nobody in kickboxing, that’s an utterly laughable suggestion. He was a 20-1 fighter who held multiple British and European titles.

You’re simply reading into what I said why you want to. In truth, Ngannou absolutely was a nobody in boxing. Never once did I suggest that he didn’t commit to MMA and establish himself, or just waltz in and become the top guy, but it’s an absolute fact to say he was a nobody in boxing, whereas Whyte was very much an accomplished kickboxer.

Lol Ngannou TRAINED boxing for a year then switched to MMA. You're acting like he actually seriously competed in boxing and failed then switched. He trained one thing for a bit then moved to another thing before he could find out if he was any good at the first thing.

British and Euro titles dont mean much in kickboxing, did he win a K1 GP? Reem would have beat the shit out of him and yet Whyte is a long term top 10 boxer and title challenger after leaving kickboxing for boxing. Miller literally lost to 40 year old post-UFC Cro Cop (who had been KO'd by fucking Brendan Schaub by that point) then moved to boxing, entered the HW top 10 and was about to get a title shot vs AJ.

Wilder would actually be the better fighter to train in MMA; it's more about power for a striker in MMA- you want to be able to KO them before the fight goes to the ground.

Some boxers could undoubtedly do great in MMA, but the minimum time they would have to train grappling would be 3 years; probably longer than that to be championship level.

The difference between the boxer and the elite grappler is the grappler can start taking fights sooner after they begin training. Even a championship boxer would get put on his back and smashed by mediocre level MMA fighters without significant training in grappling. It's possible they could be a champ with enough grappling. Especially at HW, where there aren't many challenging grapplers.

Lol Ngannou TRAINED boxing for a year then switched to MMA. You're acting like he actually seriously competed in boxing and failed then switched. He trained one thing for a bit then moved to another thing before he could find out if he was any good at the first thing.

British and Euro titles dont mean much in kickboxing, did he win a K1 GP? Reem would have beat the shit out of him and yet Whyte is a long term top 10 boxer and title challenger after leaving kickboxing for boxing. Miller literally lost to 40 year old post-UFC Cro Cop (who had been KO'd by fucking Brendan Schaub by that point) then moved to boxing, entered the HW top 10 and was about to get a title shot vs AJ.

You could’ve stopped your nonsense at the bolded.

No - I’m simply not acting like that. As I’ve already said, you’re simply reading between the lines and drawing your own conclusions.

None of the 2nd paragraph makes the slightest bit of difference to me because you’ve literally missed the point by miles. You’re quite literally getting upset about my ‘low level boxer’ comment about Ngannou when it’s completely accurate and fair to say.

You’re quite literally getting upset about my ‘low level boxer’ comment about Ngannou when it’s completely accurate and fair to say.

Nope, a low level boxer is someone that actually competes professionally and is journeyman level or worse. Not someone that trains boxing for a year then gives up on it for something else. By your definition practically every sport is going to be full of ex-low level something.

If some random guys can get into MMA at 30 and become champs many many many boxers could do so aswell, not just Fury. MMA is a bum sport for outcast athletes.

If some random guys can get into MMA at 30 and become champs many many many boxers could do so aswell, not just Fury. MMA is a bum sport for outcast athletes.

Isnt boxing too then? the talent pool is bigger than MMA but still tiny as fuck compared to major ball sports. Guys like Fury and Joshua are drawn from a pool of around 50 active pro UK HWs lol.

Isnt boxing too then? the talent pool is bigger than MMA but still tiny as fuck compared to major ball sports. Guys like Fury and Joshua are drawn from a pool of around 50 active pro UK HWs lol.
Never said Fury was a better athlete then say Cristiano Ronaldo.

Back