Do you remember Nam Phan? He's dealing with some bad CTE right now

That's very likely to be the case, unless, of course, there's a sudden unforeseen breakthrough in terms of finding a treatment for the condition which is something we really can only hope for at this point.

The worst part about CTE is that, according to some preliminary studies, the degenerative progress in the brain tissue only seems to accelerate even after the brain no longer absorbs any further impacts, and if the impacts just keep on piling up, then well... It doesn't exactly take a career neurologist to presume that it only makes matters even worse.
Best bet is brain Transplantation.

He's fought since. Once with a troll who came into his gym. Nd probably still sparred a lot

If I had to speculate, I'd say those with CTE don't notice their decline.
Look at Matt Hughes (although his CTE is from a train crash). His family have AVOs against him now.

And Cain.

And Rampage.

And Chuck.

It's a sad list to write.
I don't disagree with the overall point you're making, but just want to clear up a misconception that many seem to have: CTE is not a generalized term for all types of brain damage, but rather it's a specific Alzheimer's-like degenerative brain disease.
According to scientific studies on the subject, it strangely doesn't seem to be related to concussions but rather to accumulative effects of sub-concussive blows to the head over a long period of time.

What you're referring to in Hughes' case would be a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) which belongs to a separate class of brain trauma entirely.
Those are caused by sudden concussive impacts to the head that single-handedly damage the brain in a sudden fashion.

He's fought since. Once with a troll who came into his gym. Nd probably still sparred a lot

If I had to speculate, I'd say those with CTE don't notice their decline. Look at Matt Hughes (although his CTE is from a train crash). His family have AVOs against him now.

And Cain.

And Rampage.

And Chuck.

It's a sad list to write.
They notice it, but pride is a son of a bitch; so they live in denial until that's not possible anymore.

Part of his problem to begin with is his speech. Much like Charlie Murphy he's the type that speaks through his teeth, rather than regularly opening his jaw for full annunciation. Plus maybe he has reverted mainly to his language he was speaking from a young age and the people he is around. I don't rule out cte though. Respect

It might not be as bad as it sounds, in the first video he just finished a fight and was full of adrenaline which could alter how he talks and he still was being articulate about the stories in his 2nd video. It could just be speech issues rather than CTE, atleast that's what I'm hoping for. Wish him the best of luck, think this is the second thread I've read about Nam Pham's CTE affecting his speech.

Darren Elkins sounds just as bad last time he was on camera and he's still an active fighter. I can only imagine how bad he's going to be in 10 years.

He is slurring badly in the first vid in the OP.

Also Google or do a sherdog search of nam phan speech it's literally been posted like 10 times in the last year alone.

Also what other symptoms does he have that it's CTE? For as much as people cry about him has he ever addressed it himself or maybe sherdog is full of neurologists and know there's nothing else going on.

You're really disingenuous. Per usual, I fear.
"He is slurring badly in the first vid in the OP." Uh, no he isn't. That's just dishonest.
And I never said he had CTE. Again, you're the one "crying" and "crying" about other people "crying". I'm just sticking to observable facts. He used to speak more quickly, more eloquently, and with less slurring. Now it's noticeably worse. Why it's worse is up for conjecture.

Yeah man sad stuff -- I always liked Nam Phan. He was too tough for his own good.

I remember wanting to be a UFC fighter and believing and I still believe I could have beat up Nam Phan. Lol

Anybody remember Nam Phan fight predictions? He had a reputation for always being wrong. Sherdog.com always used to ask him for fight predictions and it was a joke around here for a long time.

Sad to see him like this, though. He was always a good sport about things and seemed like a decent person

With all the research that goes into Alzheimer's there's hope that we can figure out how to reverse this sort of damage someday. This is brutal.

Darren Elkins sounds just as bad last time he was on camera and he's still an active fighter. I can only imagine how bad he's going to be in 10 years.

I agree.

I really think the UFC are being dumb as shit letting Elkins fight.

The guy is clearly injured, permanently, and they're playing with fire.

Back