Social 17 year old kid from my home town killed himself because he was getting sextorted on social media

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score
Basically what happened is that somebody posed as a hot girl on Instagram and manipulated him into exchanging nude pictures. Once the scammers got the pictures they asked for $300 in exchange for them not spreading the pics all over social media. He paid them, but then they asked for $1000. He couldn't pay them that much so he offed himself.

I went to high school with his Dad. He was a good kid from a nice family. Athlete, good grades, never in trouble, on his way to college for sports medicine, etc... The FBI are involved now and the story is starting to get a bit of national attention. The family is allowing the media to use their late son's name and make the story public in order to spread awareness for this sort of thing. For those of you with kids please talk to them about this, as it may end up saving their life.

Here are some links to the story...

https://fox11online.com/news/local/...sextortion-sparks-needed-conversation-locally

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rs-falling-victim-online-sextortion-plot.html

https://www.dailypress.net/news/loc...unding-upper-peninsula-teen-suicide-released/

Last edited:
Damn that’s sad hopefully they catch the people involved and they can get some type of extortion and sex offender Charge. This thing has gone on for a while in the military. Guys oversees talks to a girl from a foreign country and gets convinced to exchange pics or gets recorded on webcam and extorted. I knew two guys this happened to and one said fuck it and warned the people on his social media they might see lewd pics of him and the other got ncis involved

Last edited:
RIP sorry to hear it.
My daughter is 12 and her friend in her class shot himself in the head a few months ago. Kid was super depressed about covid and thought it would never go away. Couldn't deal with it anymore I guess.

These things are very hard to deal with. It's been very tough for our daughter. Thanks God the governor removed mask mandates 2 weeks after.

For those of you with kids please talk to them about this, as it may end up saving their life.
It's a lot tougher to be a parent and raise a kid today.

The online world is corrupting kids today and it's tough to know what all is out there lurking and trying to come for your kids.

Hopefully the pervert scam artists get the ultimate price for what they did to this kid.

Sad story and all, but what do you really tell a kid in this era? It should be common sense not to send intimate pictures over the net to somebody you've never actually met. Sadly, the internet has caused people to lose sight of reality. It's not just kids, either. Lonely old dudes are losing their life savings to scammers who pose as hot chicks from halfway around the world, with promises that they just need a few more thousand dollars to get their green card and come marry them n' shit, and they fuckin' send it to them.

The internet came along and collectively lowered the world's IQ.

Terrible . I have an 17yr old son and 18yr daughter. It is definitely tougher mentally for them do to social media. I always worry about them thinking that all social media is real life, when infact it's a lie most of the time.

I hope they throw the book at these sick people.

Last edited:
Terrible . I have an 17yr old son and 18yr daughter. It is definitely tougher mentally for them do to social media. I always worry about them thinning that all social media is real life, when infact it's a lie most of the time.

I hope they throw the book at these sick people.
Yeah I'm glad I didn't grow up with that. I had my first phone that had texting when I was in college.

This is why we don't allow our children unsupervised access to the internet or phones. It will stay that way for the foreseeable future. I will most likely have to private school them eventually. But the cost is worth it to me.

Time to turn over that hard drive or whatever and make sure it’s doesn’t happen again.

Sad story and all, but what do you really tell a kid in this era? It should be common sense not to send intimate pictures over the net to somebody you've never actually met. Sadly, the internet has caused people to lose sight of reality. It's not just kids, either. Lonely old dudes are losing their life savings to scammers who pose as hot chicks from halfway around the world, with promises that they just need a few more thousand dollars to get their green card and come marry them n' shit, and they fuckin' send it to them.

The internet came along and collectively lowered the world's IQ.
It's seems life is much tougher as a parent these days. I remember as a kid just wanting to play non stop. I would also go to work with my pops on Saturday's. After school I remember going to construction sites on my bike and the workers letting me help ect.

I had good parents but it seems they didn't have as much to worry about. Now that I have a daughter my mom is always telling me to watch out for this and that. More concerned about my daughter than when she was about me as a kid so obviously things have changed.

We are straight up with our daughter. We have real talks with her even at 12. We don't hide what's going on in the world. She sees the news stories so she can be aware. We tell her about the drugs today and not to even touch them as some will kill you just with a touch.

It's tough but you have to stay on top of things. We've had the internet talks also and tell her what's posted pics or words never go away and can haunt you for life.

I almost feel like schools should be on board. When her friend shot himself I called everyone, school, media, district and asked to please have discussions with the kids. They brought dogs in and tought the kids how to deal with death but wouldn't address the main issues. I'm still pisses about it because there's parents that lack the time or will to talk to their kids.

Have those talks guys. Your kids will thank you.

I remember a lawyer talking about how bad social media is because it ruins people reputations for minor and foolish things. He said he would never have been allowed to be a lawyer for some of things he did if social media was around when he was a kid.

I know it would be next to impossible but there has to be way for companies to stop extortion of people especially children.

I wouldn't want to be a kid in today's world. Everything you do is recorded. That's gotta suck to make a mistake and having to live with knowing it's on the internet forever.

R.I.P.

read a harrowing thing on 4chan of all places
it's a nightmare world for kids
unnamed.jpg

Something similar happened at my HS (gay dude posed as girl to get preppies nudes), tried to extort them; he ended up switching schools everyone wanted his head.

These kids deserve major jail for this bullshit.

Back